Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

The Pad Arena Thread:Which pad is better? Ask/Find out here!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yukihime
Trick Member
Trick Member

400. PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

junglekatz2002 wrote:
Hello! For Christmas, I decided that since I haven't played DDR in a long time (i.e. since I packed up my stuff from campus after graduation and moved back home), I would ask for a new mat. I played light to moderate, and then light again. I'm currently looking for a pad compatible with PS2 that will last for a while for light-to-medium use, mostly so I can get some form of physical activity while I'm indoors. XD

My first ever (and longest lasting) pad is the one pictured being modded here and from an Amazon.com link here, Naki's Dance Pad Revolution 2 that I think I got from GameStop. Since their site seems to be dead I am assuming they aren't around anymore. I've gotten some other soft ones slightly cheaper than that; of course, the cheaper they got, the more quickly the arrow sensors seemed to wear out, especially when totally beginner friends came over to play and aren't coordinated enough. riiight.gif

I'm looking at something that isn't heavy so I can take it when I move out of the house and into my own place, so even though I'd like to find a sturdy metal pad that will last me practically forever at my rate of difficulty, I don't have the money (definitely not right now...) to spend on something like a Cobalt Flux or a Blue Shark. As I said, I usually stick to light mode/workout mode and a few standard songs, though I would like to get to where I am able to do most standard songs without failing. I would like to find something that isn't a $25 pad but not over $150 per pad as I would like to get two. I know I'm not setting myself up for the best pad, but I'm not expecting to ace something on heavy at the moment, and I just need something to replace the pad from Naki.

I'm looking at something like these:
DDR Dance Pads that come in a pair (off Amazon)
Also an Amazon.com link but the pads come bundled with In the Groove
A Red Octane Pad that has some okay reviews, however I'm a bit dubious on the price
I went straight to RedOctane's site and found this, and it looks a bit different from the one linked from Amazon.
How do you suppose these "hard pads" will do? I hear mymybox is lacking on the customer service side so I want to make sure things get shipped in a timely manner.
I Googled "DDR pad" earlier and found the site DDR Game, but I also heard by perusing the forums that pads from that site are generally not too good.

I'm not completely against duct taping it to a carpet protector or something to keep it from wrinkling if that's what will keep a soft pad from crapping out quite so fast, but apart from that, I'm afraid I'm not exactly handy with hardware tools. frown.gif

Hi! and can I say YAY for someone who makes long posts with links and stuff like I do? I don't feel so alone E13.gif

The Playstation 2 Red Octane Licensed Dance Pad on Amazon is the flatter ITG style pad. The ITG and pad bundle is showing as not available right now. The pad you saw on RO's site is the dense foam insert Ignition 3.0 - that seems to have been giving people angst (never had one, so don't know first-hand). The first pads? those flat ones? meh, the RO ITG pads, imho, are better. The only thing with those pads? the sensors are closer to the center, so if you're a "return to the center" stepper, that may give you a problem. Easily solved - don't stand in the center of the pad!

NO NO NO NO NO to those Hard pads - no matter who makes them. They're hard plastic, gonna be horrifically loud AND think about it. What happens if you drop or step on a piece of hard plastic? That's right, it cracks and breaks. And the MMB version at least is out of stock. Those things should ALL be out of stock permanently.

FutureMaster, if there was someone I could ask, I would. There really isn't. The only person on the block who sometimes helps me with emergencies is even older than me and can't lift that much either. Yes, I have a roommate and she'd be happy to help ... if I was getting anything DDR-related OUT of the house. No way she'd help me get something like that IN. And it's her house, so I can only kvetch and whine so much, and that never works anyway.
View users profile Send private message
junglekatz2002
Basic Member
Basic Member

401. PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yukihime wrote:
junglekatz2002 wrote:
Hello! For Christmas, I decided that since I haven't played DDR in a long time (i.e. since I packed up my stuff from campus after graduation and moved back home), I would ask for a new mat. I played light to moderate, and then light again. I'm currently looking for a pad compatible with PS2 that will last for a while for light-to-medium use, mostly so I can get some form of physical activity while I'm indoors. XD

My first ever (and longest lasting) pad is the one pictured being modded here and from an Amazon.com link here, Naki's Dance Pad Revolution 2 that I think I got from GameStop. Since their site seems to be dead I am assuming they aren't around anymore. I've gotten some other soft ones slightly cheaper than that; of course, the cheaper they got, the more quickly the arrow sensors seemed to wear out, especially when totally beginner friends came over to play and aren't coordinated enough. riiight.gif

I'm looking at something that isn't heavy so I can take it when I move out of the house and into my own place, so even though I'd like to find a sturdy metal pad that will last me practically forever at my rate of difficulty, I don't have the money (definitely not right now...) to spend on something like a Cobalt Flux or a Blue Shark. As I said, I usually stick to light mode/workout mode and a few standard songs, though I would like to get to where I am able to do most standard songs without failing. I would like to find something that isn't a $25 pad but not over $150 per pad as I would like to get two. I know I'm not setting myself up for the best pad, but I'm not expecting to ace something on heavy at the moment, and I just need something to replace the pad from Naki.

I'm looking at something like these:
DDR Dance Pads that come in a pair (off Amazon)
Also an Amazon.com link but the pads come bundled with In the Groove
A Red Octane Pad that has some okay reviews, however I'm a bit dubious on the price
I went straight to RedOctane's site and found this, and it looks a bit different from the one linked from Amazon.
How do you suppose these "hard pads" will do? I hear mymybox is lacking on the customer service side so I want to make sure things get shipped in a timely manner.
I Googled "DDR pad" earlier and found the site DDR Game, but I also heard by perusing the forums that pads from that site are generally not too good.

I'm not completely against duct taping it to a carpet protector or something to keep it from wrinkling if that's what will keep a soft pad from crapping out quite so fast, but apart from that, I'm afraid I'm not exactly handy with hardware tools. frown.gif

Hi! and can I say YAY for someone who makes long posts with links and stuff like I do? I don't feel so alone E13.gif

The Playstation 2 Red Octane Licensed Dance Pad on Amazon is the flatter ITG style pad. The ITG and pad bundle is showing as not available right now. The pad you saw on RO's site is the dense foam insert Ignition 3.0 - that seems to have been giving people angst (never had one, so don't know first-hand). The first pads? those flat ones? meh, the RO ITG pads, imho, are better. The only thing with those pads? the sensors are closer to the center, so if you're a "return to the center" stepper, that may give you a problem. Easily solved - don't stand in the center of the pad!

NO NO NO NO NO to those Hard pads - no matter who makes them. They're hard plastic, gonna be horrifically loud AND think about it. What happens if you drop or step on a piece of hard plastic? That's right, it cracks and breaks. And the MMB version at least is out of stock. Those things should ALL be out of stock permanently.

FutureMaster, if there was someone I could ask, I would. There really isn't. The only person on the block who sometimes helps me with emergencies is even older than me and can't lift that much either. Yes, I have a roommate and she'd be happy to help ... if I was getting anything DDR-related OUT of the house. No way she'd help me get something like that IN. And it's her house, so I can only kvetch and whine so much, and that never works anyway.

Well, I thought I'd be thorough as possible with these sort of things. E13.gif

I'm not the player who steps back to the center of the pad after each step, so that won't be a problem. biggrin.gif Looks like for now I'll go with the RedOctane ITG pads, since I have a few DDR games on my PS2 but not ITG.
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
JPINAZ
Basic Member
Basic Member

402. PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Konami or blue shark Reply with quote

Hi,
I need help selecting DDR for an Xmas gift for my daughters Wii. Hopefully this is the right place to post. I have been looking on ebay for DDR with two pads and dance party 2. Would blue shark be a better choice than the Konami pads? Any input would be appreciated.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wii-DDR-Dance-Hottest-Party-2-w-BlueShark-Dance-Pads_W0QQitemZ220330113365QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVideo_Games_Games?hash=item220330113365&_trksid=p4295.c0.m299&_trkparms=240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dance-Revolution-Hottest-Party-2-Wii-Bundle-2-pad-1CD_W0QQitemZ250341202130QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVideo_Games_Games?hash=item250341202130&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

TIA

JP
yukihime
Trick Member
Trick Member

403. PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi JP

Well, they're 2 different types of pads - the blueshark is the dense foam insert type, the other are the flat pads. Which can be modded so they last longer and won't slide all over the floor.

The blueshark foam pads can be a crapshoot - either fabulous and last a good long time OR horrible and break in less than a month. Especially these "official" bluesharks that have been showing up on ebay now and then. I could be completely wrong, but I honestly have a feeling that those pads were returns because they didn't work right and now mmb is using third parties to sell off these defective pads. Been through the experience (PS2 version).

It depends, how much will the girls be playings, how hard will they be playing.
JPINAZ
Basic Member
Basic Member

404. PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. That ebay blueshark price is to good to be true

http://www.mymybox.com/ddrmbsdxwii.html

I bet you are right about them.

Do you think dance party 2 is a good choice for the Wii?
I have heard some aftermarket pads do not work with it.
Maybe a problem when it comes time to replace pads.
That ebay seller supplies the adapters for the Blue Shark.

Thanks again

JP
mutelorelei
Basic Member
Basic Member

405. PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting back into DDR after a couple of years without. I'm an older female player at Trick level of play. For now, I'm just going to mod one of the soft pads, but I'm not sure which one to get. I need one for PS2 and one for Xbox 360. (Maybe later I will buy or make a metal pad, but I would prefer not to for now)

For PS2, I am torn between getting the BNS Sparkle, or

XPG Tournament Elite - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=220333917334

or Challenger - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=250356046124

Are these three pretty much the same or no?

And what would be good for Xbox 360? Will the official Konami soft pad be pretty good, or is there a really good third party pad out there? It seems like there is not a lot of choice for the 360.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
yukihime
Trick Member
Trick Member

406. PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mutelorelei!

Well, I just did a quick search for Xbox 360 pads and you're right, there doesn't seem to be a whole heck of a lot of choices. DDRGame (who many of us know and hate) does have the official Konami flat pad, but they want $55 for it shocked.gif That's just nuts!

As to the others you provided urls for ... the challenger pad (the second one), I made the mistake of getting one of those. Yeah, off ebay (not the same seller - who btw has not done right by at least one person here on the forum). Ended up throwing it out. Between having to pay for return shipping AND a restocking fee for a DOA pad, it just wasn't worth returning it (and it was the same seller as the Elite pad, just fyi).

The Elite says Xbox, but it doesn't say Xbox 360, so I'd look into whether that pad would work with the 360. And there should be other sellers with the same pad. Most of what's on ebay is "drop ship" sellers. Meaning there's a real good chance these people have never even seen what they're selling. It all comes from the same (I think) supplier.

As with any pad, YMMV. Good luck!
AEmedic
Basic Member
Basic Member

407. PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I am a noob and I am checking the stickies...

I want advice on a Cobalt Flux, I found a used one that looks like it is in good shape, not too badly thrashed at all. The guy says it wasn't used very much, but, isn't there always a but, it is 3 or 4 years old...
I had a friend go look at it and he says it looks good, but he does not DDR. I can pick it up for $130 but then I have to ship it to Montana and that could cost $$$.
Is this worth it or should I pass and buy new?
PureBlue
Trick Member
Trick Member

408. PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's an eBay auction, you're really taking a chance. It could either be a great pad, or the seller might be a lying douchebag and send you a defective pad even if it says "GREAT CONDITION". Generally, if the person has a feedback rating over 99% you should be fine. Anything lower and you're pushing your luck.
AEmedic
Basic Member
Basic Member

409. PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't on ebay, and a frind of mine in TX went to look at it. He does not play DDR so doesn't speak with any authority, but he says it looks good and he had the guy play on it and it seemed good.

My concern is that it is 3 to 4 years old, any concerns with a CF that old? I will be using it on a PS2...
PureBlue
Trick Member
Trick Member

410. PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobalt Fluxes generally last a long time and are easy to fix if they break, so if you feel comfortable buying it, then go ahead.
remix
Trick Member
Trick Member

411. PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been away from the DDR scene for a bit, but wanted to play quite a bit recently.

I have ran into a bit of a 'next gen' problem. I own a HD TV. I also have a cobalt flux. I DDR Uni1 and 2 really cheap in a bargain bin not too long ago. I have searched around for an adapter for my cobalt flux pad but came up with nothing! Talk about disappointment. I can't play ps2 ddr on my tv or it lags thanks to it being HD.

Edit: should have mentioned i'm looking for an xbox 360 pad or adapter

So, is there some sort of adapter for cobalt flux I am unaware of?

If not, is my best bet pretty much investing in a official DDU3 pad or something? I remember my woes of kill plastic pads after a lot of use, but I am desperate to play right now. If I should buy an official do you guys have a site you recommend? It can come with the game even, maybe I'll buy the package.

Thanks for the answers.

Last edited by remix on Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger
DAVE101
Trick Member
Trick Member

412. PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new control boxes on CF's website comes with ps2, xbox, and usb connections.

I'm currently having my own issues with audio/video syn and input delay.
remix
Trick Member
Trick Member

413. PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I should have mentioned. The pad or adapter I need is for the xbox 360. I'll edit that in.
Captain Murphy
Trick Member
Trick Member

414. PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there peoples,
I was wondering if you could help me out with a quandary. I used to be extremely active with DDR around the 2003-2004 era but have since fallen into the habit of only playing perhaps once every few months or so. I'm going to be moving in with my ladyfriend and her sister in a few months, both of whom are also somewhat retired dancers.
As a teenager it was always a fantasy of mine to own a metal pad or home-built DDR cab. Now approaching 24 I'm feeling ready to try and bring that fantasy a little closer to reality. After a trial run last night at the arcade I'm still a sloppy 8/9-footer (failed Cartoon Heroes, though >.<), and I imagine the girls might still hover somewhere around 4-7.
Having never owned a home pad for any long period of time I'm pretty much entirely used to the arcade-pad feel. My knowledge of metal pads really only stretches as far as Cobalt Flux (durable and dependable as all hell, but still $300+) and Red Octane Afterburner (cheaper; on sale for $160 at the moment, though there is a danger of DOA and breakage.)

What might the pad masters here on the forum have for advice on this? Is CF really the only option for a decent metal pad? Are all of the Afterburner horror stories really a decent sampling of the AB experience?
If you help me find a pad with which to get sweaty with two foxy ladies I'd be glad to send videos =p
Basic Member
Basic Member

415. PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Captain Murphy:

I recently purchased an Afterburner and I'm quite pleased with it. I've had no troubles with it. However, I do see two problems with it. First off, the arrows are REALLY recessed, making it a bit harder to play than at the arcade. Second, if you're going to play on any sort of plush carpet, you're going to need to put a sheet of plywood underneath it because it's rather bendable otherwise.

Having said this, I've never played on a Cobalt Flux before so I can't give you an opinion regarding it. Apparently, I'm also lucky since a lot of people get crappy Afterburners that are broken out of the box.
remix
Trick Member
Trick Member

416. PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Murphy wrote:
Hey there peoples,
I was wondering if you could help me out with a quandary. WORDS etc

The cobalt flux has often been referred to as feeling different from the arcade, but not worse. It has it's own feel and it only took me a day to adjust. It is built really well and I know if something went wrong it would only take a little bit of research and a trip to the hardware store to fix (although i don't suspect anything will go wrong). It has had heavy amounts of play for the first 2 years and the last couple it's pulled out here and there. Other then needing cleaned from all the use (just take off some tiles and wipe) it still works great.

I have the first version, I know the 2nd is supposed to be a bit improved but I'm not sure exactly how.
Captain Murphy
Trick Member
Trick Member

417. PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips, guys. Especially good to hear somebody with a decent AB experience. I think I'll meditate on it for a while and decide to either wait it out for the CF or take my chances soon with the AB.
Basic Member
Basic Member

418. PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:49 am    Post subject: What's the best DDR metal pad you can buy in Europe? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I live in Europe (France), and it sucks since neither RedOctane nor MyMyBox ship overseas (although I don't think MyMyBox sells metal dance pads anymore) and Cobalt Flux's shipping rates are pretty high. The only reliable european retailer appears to be Futuremax (http://www.futuremax.nl/).

I've had a TX1000 for one year now, it works OK but isn't really accurate, so I'd like to buy a good metal dance pad.

So here are my options :

1) I could buy a "BlueShark 2inch new 2008 version" from futuremax, for 368 euros (dance pad + shipping rates) i.e. ~475 dollars :

http://www.futuremax.nl/product_info.php?products_id=799

But for some reason I'm a bit suspicious. There are only two comments about this pad on the Futuremax website :

Quote:
When i first got my blueshark pad it was abit _ odd.
Left end right panels sunk more than up and down.
Right panel gave a lot of padmisses.

But i managed to fix that problem.
And the pad works perfectly now.

if i wouldnt have fixed the problem, i would give it around 2.
But now that it works as it should i give it 4.

Rating: 4 of 5 Stars!

Quote:
Hello Peter,

First impression : I'm a bit disappointed
I encountered a few problems and drawbacks.

Some panels sink more than the others (particularly the right and a bit less the left). Therefore they make a lot of noise and it's difficult to play hard songs.
I had to open a panel to refix the caouthcouc pieces above the sensors with superglue. Little remark : there's a bump on the pad but it's not cumbersome.

Despite a few "pad miss", the response is rather good.

My conclusion : It would be a good deal but there's too many drawbacks
for a product like that.

I hope you'll understand my English.
Thanks for your attention.

Rating: 3 of 5 Stars! [3 of 5 Stars!]

Both reviewers report the same problem and give a not-so-good rating, which is pretty weird, since Bluesharks are supposed to be pretty good stuff. And Futuremax hasn't had Blueshark metal pads for years, so why do they have them now that they aren't sold anymore by MMB?

So I'm getting a bit suspicious. Maybe I'm paranoid, but MyMyBox has had problems with their lastest series of pads apparently. This is a message from MMB that's been posted on the MMB topic (on this forum) :

Quote:
I have found out what the problem with shipment is and those of you with 3inch pad pre-orders are not going to be too happy. The first set of pads that were made used the Japan style handlebar for the 3 inch pad. The bar is half the width of the American version. This error was made twice by the manufacturer and the pads were sold off to a third party business in Europe.

Errrr... which third party business in Europe? As far as I know, Futuremax is the only European website selling DDR pads. They even say that the BlueShark "[is] only available at FutureMax" in Europe. Ok this isn't about the 2 inch pad but still... Would it be possible that MMB sold defective pads to Futuremax?

2) My second option would be to buy a Cobalt Flux from their official website, which would be 334 euros (shipping included) which is ~432 dollars. But from what I've read they're not as good as they used to be and sending it back to the US would be *very* expensive.

So what would you guys do? Buy a Cobalt Flux or a BlueShark?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by loulan on Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:25 pm, edited 6 times in total
yukihime
Trick Member
Trick Member

419. PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi loulan and all

I'm still in the metal pad looking stage, tried a TX1000 (shame on me, I know) and it really did stink. I was able to return it, thank goodness.

The Afterburner is the pad I was leaning toward, based on price and that I'd gotten to use one (badly), but I liked the slight "spring" to the arrows; however a) it is foil for contact so you'd probably want/need to do the sheet metal mod and I'm totally NOT handy or have tools/strong enough hands to cut sheet metal and b) the fact that they're SO on sale makes me worry that they're just selling off what they have and anyone who buys one is gonna be "stuck" if they get a bad pad. There's also the lack of accessories - CB and arrow replacements. CB being the most important obviously.

MMB imho are not at all a good company to deal with. I had an issue which ended up with me getting a refund for one of their 2008 dense foam pads - which took about 2 months, a ton of long distance calls, emails, posting on the forum and the cost of returns.

First, they had had me send just the faulty 2008 skin, keep the foam and sent a replacement skin. Yep, they sent a 2006 skin and as that pad was thinner and a tad smaller, the foam inserts were too big. That's when I started yelling refund and prepaid shipping label or my CC would be contacting them along with BBB, etc.

Then suddenly this company with the same address and suite # (found out after auction when the pad arrived) shows up on ebay selling 2008 Blueshark foam pads - except they're 2006 model. I wasn't the only person to get this, I asked other buyers. And one, interestingly, got a pad that the foam wouldn't fit in - it was too big for the pad. Which leads me to think that this poor guy got my return.

So who knows, when I first saw Futuremax was selling metal Bluesharks I was like wth, then read at MMB that they were selling off to a third party. There's probably a really good chance that the Bluesharks Futuremax has are old/defective/returns.

So, I don't know what to tell you. Yes, I've read some of the recent problems people are having with CF and wasn't very impressed with some of the "fixes", but overall I think people with a good CF who take care of it seem to have far fewer problems overall.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 21 of 23

Jump to: