Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

The Pad Arena Thread:Which pad is better? Ask/Find out here!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slvrshdw
Trick Member
Trick Member

380. PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DancingTofu(SMC) wrote:

If that's not an option, I'd recommend talking to slvrshdw. He's got his life together a lot more than I do and might be able to help you. If you want, I can forward a design to him that I think would best suit you. I don't know what his location is, but there's a good chance it's closer to Pennsylvania than Oregon is. E10.gif

well, it appears that i've been called laugh.gif
yeah, i've played on the AB and the arrows are TOO recessed. the way around that is to buy some lexan, cut it, and just put it over the original plex (which is what i did when i fixed that one i mentioned earlier) you also would have to put your own graphic on there too. minor thing, but i thought i'd mention it anyway.
if you wanted to just buy a pad, and not worry about arcade (which it seems like you dont care), the CF would be the best i think. (i personally dont like it for a reasons, but it is a very functional pad)
all the panels are pretty even, so your feet get lost. you always could either buy the arcade mod, or just raise the 5 panels yourself to fix that though.
if you get used to the pad, it is very easy to AAA songs on it (youtube has them)
yukihime wrote:
Saw on another topic that Slvrshdw, while he does build, isn't right now due to being in college and away from what he'd need to build. You know I'd love a homebrew and you've had some very good ideas based on my needs/wants/preferences.

as for this, yes, i am in college now, but i think i may have found some access to either a friend's garage with tools (not sure what all he has though)...OR i *might* be able to get access to the theater shop (a huge question mark at this point)

in relation to college work itself, this semester is for my "adjusting", so i took easy classes, or ones i already know. and as of now, i have a lot of free time that i could theoretically build a pad or 2 if someone desired.
I am in Lubbock, Texas now, so it is still quite a ways away.

I know this was a long post, but hopefully you get the main points from it.
Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.
Trick Member
Trick Member

381. PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yukihime wrote:
why can't this be even a little easier?
I gave it a shot :[

I've got some inspiration right now, so if I can find somewhere to get a few pads built, I might actually be in the market to make you a pad, but it would have to be really under the table, because the design is EXACTLY like a CF, but laid out so it's less fancy and more (MUCH more) functional.

Otherwise, your best bet is to get a Cobalt Flux and a friend (nephew, cousin, god-child, or something) who can move it around for you when you need it to move. If you set it up in front of a couch and figure out a way to slide it around, they'll slide under pretty much any couch, 'cause they're only about 0.8" thick.
yukihime
Trick Member
Trick Member

382. PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Slvrshdw, nice to meet you! E1.gif

Distance-wise, as far as shipping? I think it'd be about the same. I'm in Pennsylvania.

I appreciate your posting here and yes, I did get the main points. And they are valid

Quote:
Slvrshdw wrote:

... the AB and the arrows are TOO recessed. the way around that is to buy some lexan, cut it, and just put it over the original plex (which is what i did when i fixed that one i mentioned earlier) you also would have to put your own graphic on there too. minor thing, but i thought i'd mention it anyway.
if you wanted to just buy a pad, and not worry about arcade (which it seems like you dont care), the CF would be the best i think. (i personally dont like it for a reasons, but it is a very functional pad)
all the panels are pretty even, so your feet get lost. you always could either buy the arcade mod, or just raise the 5 panels yourself to fix that though.

You know, that was a thing about the AB - are the arrows "too" recessed. I'm actually able to for the most part, on a lower difficulty (3-4 foot) song flatfoot except for 8th and 16th (gods I hate them) on my foam pad, then it's on balls of the feet. I know, it's not possible to really, really flatfoot on them, but I've been watching A LOT of youtube and I think it's gotten into my subconscious that it's a more efficient way to play. And the AB I'm worried I'd end up tripping, falling over and killing myself or my cat. And there's the whole foil thing which does not thrill me.

I don't have a place to get lexan or a way to cut it. decals I could care less about tbh, I'm more of a ... it's sensitive, it's durable, it just works with my PS2, I can move the darned thing and I don't have to kill myself to get the arrows to register or worry about cracking/splitting/putting my foot through an arrow.

The CF I know is supposed to be great ... once it's broken in. But I've read more than a few comments that it's like stepping on "cement", and as I'm not a stomper, can't be with arthritic knees, well, it would take a long time to break in. It's also a loud pad, which could be a roomie problem. The entire pad being flat, yeah ... but I have no problem with the idea of unscrewing panels and putting some thin cardboard in so I know where I am on the pad more. It seems like it'd be more efficient? for flatfooting, I will say that.

An issue with both those pads are, for me, they're quite heavy tbh. I have physical limitations due to a past injury, age, arthritis and fibro, so the actual weight of both the AB and CF is a concern.

Since I've never played on a DDR arcade machine, well, I don't have anything to go by that way. So that's not really an issue.

And let's face it, most of the other commercial metal pads out there are just ugh. So ...

DT, you gots pm!

Slvr, we may be pm'ing you, depending.

Thanks again, both of you. I really appreciate the time you took to do so and the help. This old goat can use all the help she can get!
View users profile Send private message
ChilliumBromide
Trick Member
Trick Member

383. PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick mythbusting, the CF really IS NOT like stepping on cement. It's also not any louder than other DDR pads. The panels are flexible Lexan Polycarbonate, and you're more likely to wind up complaining about the squishy feel of the pads if you play on one. A lot of people will modify CF's (penny mod, etc) to make them feel less squishy and pliable; incidentally, more like concrete. It still weighs a ton, but they are sensitive, gentle (as far as metal pads go), and actually, terrible for flatfooting if you're not wearing solid shoes. The screws on newer CF's have a tendency to cut feet up and trip people. They're also not that necessary, so I think I'll work on a screwless (velcro fine with you?) design and we'll see how you like it.

That's assuming I find a workshop. E10.gif
yukihime
Trick Member
Trick Member

384. PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting re: CF isn't like stepping on cement ... maybe the people who're complaining about that have done that penny mod thing? which you know I wouldn't. I don't like to mess with things, I'm not good at it and I'd end up mucking something up. I think you're the only person I've seen describe the CF's panels as "squishy", just kinda makes me giggle. Can't be any more or as "squishy" as I'd think? the AB would be, would it?

You know what? I just went to CF's site and looked at the closeup pic of their pad. I can see exactly what you're talking about with the screws on the pad. Made my Puma Cats weep with fear! Yes, of course I would be wearing shoes and I do, to a point flatfoot on a foam pad. I know it's impossible, but I can do it about half the time until things get really fast and/or those 8th & 16th notes - then it's ball of foot. Remind me, I want to go to Konami's CA offices and slap whoever thought those 8/16/32? were a great idea.

To me that's part of the point of using a metal pad - wearing shoes! lightweight of course, I'm not you DT, unless you were joking about wearing basically combat boots to play.

Velcro's fine, whatever you think'll work. It'd be something different! and would probably be easier if something happened and I needed to send out an SOS and open the pad. velcro vs. screwdriver? that's a no-brainer for this old goat!

posted in chitchat - I emailed the i-dance people (topic there) ... got an answer - these people seem REALLY nice and very passionate about their company. It appears that they are looking to enter the home pad market as well as gyms, clubs, etc. next year.

The price, however, is jawdropping, which I brought up with them when I replied. Otherwise, it looks (waiting on a few more answers) like it could be a real contender in the metal pad market.
ChilliumBromide
Trick Member
Trick Member

385. PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's actually not a lot of give with the AB's. They aren't as tough as CF's, which you can feel when you play hard songs (9's and 10's) on them, because the panels will feel like they're breaking (they usually don't, but they actually do break occasionally) and the pads will flop around on carpet.

CF's use a much denser base, which makes them feel like a chunk of concrete to haul around, and the fact that the base is painted black has led many to presume they're made of dark matter. In truth, they are made of a high-density wood composite, similar to particle board but a LOT stronger and about 3 times more dense. Not as good as some fir plywood, an oak sheet, or some MDF, but whatever floats their boats I guess.

The original CF design only requires a TINY modification and the whole upper panel assembly is held on by velcro. TINY modification.

Problem with the CF's is that because of the velcro that's in there, there's no sensitivity in the corners. :[ I think this can be fixed though. CF's work like an overpriced Devout Stealth that weighs too much. E10.gif

I actually play in Converse All Stars. I have played in combat boots before (three times), but it's exhausting. Don't get a lot of pad errors though. When your foot weighs 10 pounds, it's hard to step lightly. biggrin.gif
ulogin
Basic Member
Basic Member

386. PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh! the NexeN pads have the same issue about the corners. the velcro is just too thick for it to have any sensitivity there.

I actually replaced the velcros for the inner corners with 1/2 inch foam pieces. it really makes the pad much mode sensitive on the center side of the pads and the corners.

all you have to do is take out each arrow pad separately, peel out the velcro stickers and place them on some wax or freezer paper (to store away in case you might need it). then you place a half inch thick foam piece, roughly shaped like a triangle on each corner, and screw the pad back in place.

maybe you can do this with a CF? if the design on both are the same, it should work.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ChilliumBromide
Trick Member
Trick Member

387. PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1/2"? That's pretty thick. E10.gif

Next time you open it up, could you get me a picture of the inside of the new Lexens? I kind of want to see for myself.
n00byn4t3r
Basic Member
Basic Member

388. PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i want to buy a new pad, and im thinking about buying the blueshark.
but i dont know if it is the best pad for me, i can do like all 4's alot of 5's some 6's and like 2 7's.
but my pad is dying(i have some stupid softpad that was only 15 euro's...)

my budget is not really limited, but i live in europe so i want to shop at futuremax.nl

help please riiight.gif

sorry if my post was vague, but im bad a strating a topic/question etc....
belink
Trick Member
Trick Member

389. PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A blueshark is too much money to be playing on 7 footers. You're better off getting a TX-4500 or TX-6500 from Futuremax if you want a bar.
n00byn4t3r
Basic Member
Basic Member

390. PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im STILL playing 7 footers lol, i want to improve and i want a better pad.
its not like im sticking with it E1.gif
belink
Trick Member
Trick Member

391. PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you can if you want, the blueshark is fine.

If money is no object, buy me one too. I'm in England and don't have enough. tongue.gif
n00byn4t3r
Basic Member
Basic Member

392. PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i also still need to get the money E10.gif
but i want to buy something good after my crap pad which died today ( already fixed though biggrin.gif )

Oh and BTW if someone still wants to reccomend me a different pad: i would like one with a bar E1.gif
rlpowell
Trick Member
Trick Member

393. PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Hard pad status? Reply with quote

So it looks like people are recommending ColbaltFlux again instead of MyMyBox for best hard pad.

Last I checked (~May 2008) it was the other way around.

Is that just because MyMyBox can't get their act together and ship anything devil.gif , or has CobaltFlux improved some of their issues as well?

-Robin
View users profile Send private message Send email
yukihime
Trick Member
Trick Member

394. PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rlpowell, personally I don't trust MMB. They can't even keep their forum running well (and they use vB which can be one of the best, most secure forums out there). CF, yeah, I read a few of those "just got my pad and it's doing .... and they sent me velcro" and was like eep!

My search for a metal pad continues ... it's turned into a freaking saga. Yes, I wanted a homebrew, but it wasn't able to be done unfortunately. I'd definitely rather give the money to someone who can build me a more customized, meets my wants and needs and isn't some mass-produced in a sweatshop in China pad.

Anyway, this past weekend I got to play on a beat up but still working Afterburner. And I actually liked it, I liked that it had the tiniest bit of "spring" for lack of a better word when I stepped on it. Had decent sensitivity too, considering one was missing a bracket on the right arrow and the other missing a screw on the center metal piece. And a zillion people were jumping up and down on the poor things - no cracked arrows which surprised me.

Now, before I go and spend the money (which would be quite an investment for me as I'm on a fixed income and everything is going up, including my insurance and meds grrrr), I have a couple questions I'm hoping you guys can answer cause I'm a total DUH at this.

I read this:

Quote:
slvrshdw wrote:

well, it appears that i've been called laugh.gif
yeah, i've played on the AB and the arrows are TOO recessed. the way around that is to buy some lexan, cut it, and just put it over the original plex (which is what i did when i fixed that one i mentioned earlier) you also would have to put your own graphic on there too. minor thing, but i thought i'd mention it anyway.

And this intrigues me because the arrows didn't seem too recessed per se, but I did find I was having trouble, especially on the Up arrow, with getting "caught" on the raised metal center of the AB. I'm not a ball of the foot player and I'm certainly not the fastest on my feet, along with having the balance disorder - so the flatter the pad, the better. Without a million brackets to get caught on!

So, my questions are: are the arrow panels the same size as CF? Because I can order a set of 4 lexan panels from them, put a piece of paper (decal) between the lexan and the AB arrows to raise the AB arrows up. There's nowhere around here that sells lexan or polycarbonite or ... anything, not even plexiglass (which I know wouldn't work).

If they are the same size and the holes for screwing them in will line up, and I do this, do you think it would help with the stumbling block of the raised center? Would it make the AB less sensitive (meaning would I have to step harder - cause I'm kind of a light stepper).

And weight - is the AB really 50lbs? I'm not sure I could get something that heavy up to the third floor where my space is ... three flights of stairs, ugh. If it is 50lbs, that's about half of what I weigh!

I do know that at some point I'd be doing some sort of mod to the AB arrows. The local Home Depot only has 30 gauge SS, so I was wondering if I could use aluminum lids that come with disposable baking pans. They're flat, they're not as good or durable as SS, but I can get them at the $1 store and I would be able to cut them to size and then duct tape them onto the underside of the arrows, replace as needed. Workable?

Final questions! The CB ... are there still problems with that working in general? Does it still detach really easily? One of the 2 at the gaming expo I played on did seem to have that problem. I'd be using my PS2, but I do also have a 20gb PS3 - would this work with a PS2 to PS3 adapter? My current mmb dense foam, generic vortz and a tx1000 I had for like a week? all worked with the adapter I have with no lag. Just wondering if the AB has any problems with that.

Sorry for all the questions and stuff, but I'm down to either an AB or a CF - the AB is $100 cheaper which would be a big help and I believe it isn't as heavy - big consideration. I know the CF is supposed to be more durable, but with an extra layer of lexan on the arrows and then even the aluminum under the original arrows, do you think the AB would hold up?

It would be on a piece of 1/4" wood, then on a rug. I play for between 45 minutes to 2 hours a day just about every day, depending on how I'm feeling and I'm now doing 4-6 footers and have even recently done a few 7 and 8 footers.

The foam pads just aren't cutting it. I can't seem to get any of them to register things like triplets, etc. ... I want to progress and I don't want to have to keep replacing a foam pad every 2 to 3 months (tops) - that ends up getting expensive!

Any thoughts, suggestions, etc. greatly appreciated. DT and Slvr, and the rest of you builders/experts, if you're out there, please help? Thanks!
rlpowell
Trick Member
Trick Member

395. PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I did finally buy a pair of Cobalt Flux pads with the black arcade mod. I'm doing fairly low songs these days (recovering from leg issues), so it's not much of a test, but I'm *completely* happy with them.

-Robin
View users profile Send private message Send email
zombiejesus9001
Trick Member
Trick Member

396. PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Im thinking of getting back into itg and wanted to get a new pad. Since bluesharks are out of the question since it looks like they are never coming back. I was looking into either a cf or a nexen pad.

I keep hearing that the cf pads are not as good as the past models. I used to own version 1's back then and they were amazing. What is wrong with the new models and are they worth the buy?

My other question is also with the nexen pads. I hear the contacts are the same as the cf pads so that is a good thing. My question mainly was, was A. are they in stock? and B. are they coming in 50/50 meaning some shipments are coming in fine and some are coming in either not playable or bent up like the bluesharks?

Im kind of leaning more for the nexen because of the bad press with the new cf pads which sucks because I loved my old cf pads back then.
yukihime
Trick Member
Trick Member

397. PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rlpowell, glad you're enjoying your CFs and hope your leg problem is getting better. If I could lift a CF, that's probably what I'd save up for. But physically I am not able to lift close to the advertised 60 lbs - and get it up 3 flights of stairs. Being older, having some disabilites, I only weigh like 110, so the pad would weigh a little over half of what I do! and no one to help me get the pad in the house and upstairs - these, along with price, reliability and durability - are issues for me.

zombie, I have no idea. I've read that some people are gettings CFs that don't work right. Maybe it was a temporary glitch, maybe it was someone being careless while building ... who knows!

AFAIK, Nexens are in stock at MMB, at least last time I looked at their site. If Nexens didn't have the "arcade mod" already on them, I'd look closer at them - except I think they're even heavier than CFs, at least according to their site.

I'm still trying to find/get advice on what I wrote on the 24th. I know, I'm long-winded E15.gif
junglekatz2002
Basic Member
Basic Member

398. PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! For Christmas, I decided that since I haven't played DDR in a long time (i.e. since I packed up my stuff from campus after graduation and moved back home), I would ask for a new mat. I played light to moderate, and then light again. I'm currently looking for a pad compatible with PS2 that will last for a while for light-to-medium use, mostly so I can get some form of physical activity while I'm indoors. XD

My first ever (and longest lasting) pad is the one pictured being modded here and from an Amazon.com link here, Naki's Dance Pad Revolution 2 that I think I got from GameStop. Since their site seems to be dead I am assuming they aren't around anymore. I've gotten some other soft ones slightly cheaper than that; of course, the cheaper they got, the more quickly the arrow sensors seemed to wear out, especially when totally beginner friends came over to play and aren't coordinated enough. riiight.gif

I'm looking at something that isn't heavy so I can take it when I move out of the house and into my own place, so even though I'd like to find a sturdy metal pad that will last me practically forever at my rate of difficulty, I don't have the money (definitely not right now...) to spend on something like a Cobalt Flux or a Blue Shark. As I said, I usually stick to light mode/workout mode and a few standard songs, though I would like to get to where I am able to do most standard songs without failing. I would like to find something that isn't a $25 pad but not over $150 per pad as I would like to get two. I know I'm not setting myself up for the best pad, but I'm not expecting to ace something on heavy at the moment, and I just need something to replace the pad from Naki.

I'm looking at something like these:
DDR Dance Pads that come in a pair (off Amazon)
Also an Amazon.com link but the pads come bundled with In the Groove
A Red Octane Pad that has some okay reviews, however I'm a bit dubious on the price
I went straight to RedOctane's site and found this, and it looks a bit different from the one linked from Amazon.
How do you suppose these "hard pads" will do? I hear mymybox is lacking on the customer service side so I want to make sure things get shipped in a timely manner.
I Googled "DDR pad" earlier and found the site DDR Game, but I also heard by perusing the forums that pads from that site are generally not too good.

I'm not completely against duct taping it to a carpet protector or something to keep it from wrinkling if that's what will keep a soft pad from crapping out quite so fast, but apart from that, I'm afraid I'm not exactly handy with hardware tools. frown.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
Future Master
Trick Member
Trick Member

399. PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yukihime wrote:
If I could lift a CF, that's probably what I'd save up for. But physically I am not able to lift close to the advertised 60 lbs - and get it up 3 flights of stairs.
If you got a CF couldn't you just ask a neighbor to help you out?
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 20 of 23

Jump to: