Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

The Pad Arena Thread:Which pad is better? Ask/Find out here!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yukihime
Trick Member
Trick Member

360. PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DF, you know I came "this" close to contacting channelbeat and inquiring about shipping, if the replacement arrows would fit this - according to their little blurb, "Also be used on any DDR home version or other dancing music machines", is there a control box and if so - where is it.

I think I'll drop them an email tonight. It'll probably take forever to get an answer, they are in China. If you're interested DF, if I get a reply from them and/or actually decide to order (I can't find an order form of any kind on the site), I'll let you know what's what.

Or maybe I should have it shipped to you? You could poke around, make sure everything was in order, mod what needs modding, and I'd pay you for services rendered and shipping to me? E13.gif I kid, I kid!

I did a quick perusal through the Dance Pad Index topic and found this: http://www.ddrfreak.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=95094 Look familiar?

Now if in fact it is a copy of the solomode, is there a chance that there is a control box somehow directly wired under the up arrow as MMB seems to have a penchent for doing? and is something I actually don't like - seems like it'd be way too easy to step wrong, or too hard or .. whatever and say goodbye to your pad.

I'm still loving that DTR03 design E13.gif I get to pay 2 bills off this month! So ... it's looking like either this odd channelbeat pad depending on what I hear from them (there's NONE of these on any other site I've seen including evilbay) or ... get ready ... a TX 1000 and I'll buy the sheet metal pieces since I know there's no way I could handle cutting them myself and since he was nice enough to offer.

Need something - SOON, these foam pads seem to hate me (die out after like a month) so I'm hoping a metal pad won't,.

Can't afford a CF, don't want an Afterburner cause there seems to be so little interest by the company in their own product (control box, replacement arrows out of stock forever) and MMB? I don't ever want to go through that again and the blueshark is way too expensive, heavy and never in stock. Right now there appears there's a dearth of choices for a good metal pad.
View users profile Send private message
ChilliumBromide
Trick Member
Trick Member

361. PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Those are exactly the same. MyMyBox doesn't make their own products; they order from anonymous 3rd parties. That's why everything except the BlueShark has been changing at least every year. According to the page you linked, the dimensions don't match. 1.5" is just under 40mm. As listed, it's not the perfect square that 880mm by 880mm stated. I'm thinking that Channelbeat somehow acquired the design rights or got a retail contract; MMB's sources are always out of China. Anyway, the buttons are on the bottom right panel, the wire's coming from the bottom right panel, and they don't mention a CB, so I'm guessing it's similar to the BlueShark's on-board Control Box, but more strategically placed.

If you can get one shipped for under $110, it's a steal, even if it doesn't work; the aluminum and 6 panels plus a controller chip are worth that much.
yukihime
Trick Member
Trick Member

362. PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DancingTofu(SMC) wrote:
Quote:
If you can get one shipped for under $110, it's a steal, even if it doesn't work; the aluminum and 6 panels plus a controller chip are worth that much.

So if I were able to order one, it came and didn't work I could sell it to, say, you? E9.gif If it didn't work or stopped after a month, I wouldn't even know where to begin. Never forget, when it comes to things that involve tools (power type), solder, wires ... I am a complete n00b.

But I am going to write them and see what I can find out. Who knows, maybe this is something they made based on a past contract with MMB (since they're not making the solomode anymore - I've read it was kind of a mess of a pad) and maybe it's not a piece of utter garbage. If nothing else, hopefully I can get some information for people for another source of less expensive metal pads. That would be a good thing!
ChilliumBromide
Trick Member
Trick Member

363. PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are, in fact, 3/8" panels, then I would probably be willing to buy this off you if it doesn't work, but I don't know how soon I'd have the fund to do so.
SlickFlip
Basic Member
Basic Member

364. PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hihi

I recently played DDR at my cousins house, and now im hooked xD
So, I need advice on what soft pad to get.
I was looking around the forum and heard great things bout these 3 pads:

BNS DX Xtreme Fusion Dance Pad
Ignition Dance Pad 3.0
Blueshark Deluxe Dance Pad

Tankk you x]
yukihime
Trick Member
Trick Member

365. PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SlickFlip!

OK, BNS - from what I understand there's a real good chance you're not going to get one of their pads. I've been reading that they're sending out what is basically a cheaper third-party pad. Therefore, I wouldn't order from them. Don't know about their CS.

RO 3.0, never tried. Heard the older version (2.0) was great, but alot of people have had either very good luck or very bad luck with them. RO in general lately seems to be very ehh on DDR and is concentrating on GH. Don't know, but have heard their CS is pretty good (unless that's changed - but it used to be).

MMB, you mean their dense foam pad? I had one. Lasted about 34 days before the underlayer of vinyl split in 3 places along the top of the down arrow and the bottom of the right arrow and the pad became unuseable. I'm on basic, only weigh around 115, not a "stomper", so this was unacceptable to me. I am still in the process of trying to get a refund. They did accept the defective pad back (it was 4 days out of warranty) which was nice, but they sent me as a replacement their 2006 model - which isn't the same pad, the foam inserts I had for the original 2008 didn't fit and basically it's been a nightmare. Their CS is horrible. I had to call them long distance - they don't respond to emails if you have a problem.

YMMV on any of the above. Look through the forums on each brand, use the search option too.

Your best bet if you're just starting out may be to buy one of the bundles with the official Konami flat pad and mod it. http://www.ddrfreak.com/library/contributor-article.php?postID=7890244

That way you have the game, you have the official pad and you won't be spending a whole lot extra on the modding. At least until you know you're going to want to keep playing and as you get better at the game.

At this point I'm just buying dense foam pads of ebay (and yes, going through one about every month to 1.5 months cause they're cheap), trying to get a few bills paid off and then I'm going to get a CF.
Szalkow
Trick Member
Trick Member

366. PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can vouch for the RO Ig3.0, it's the best foam pad I've tried. It has universal adapters, and the foam insert is so dense that unless you're playing on shag carpet, it will feel like you're using a hard pad.

Still, an official (trashbag) pad with a wood mod will do just as well, and is probably cheaper.
limewirelord
Basic Member
Basic Member

367. PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DDR Freak, I've been playing DDR/ITG for a while now, and I'm at the point where I simply won't get better if I don't upgrade from soft pads. I currently have the cheap Red Octane pads that came with the In the Groove bundle (which was a great deal for $20 :3) and I've been thinking about getting a pair of Ignition 3.0's. I'm a bit hard-pressed for money (I'm 16 and my parents hate video games :X) so I want to get a good buy where possible.

I've thought about making my own pads, but I have nowhere NEAR the technical skill required to make some. Anyways, what should I do?
belink
Trick Member
Trick Member

368. PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For heaven sake, don't get the ignitions. They won't last very long.

Mod your current soft pads using the tutorial here:

http://www.angelfire.com/pro2/softpadmod/

or a slightly easier but less features one here:

http://www.ddrfreak.com/library/faqs-modding.php

You can now use shoes and they will last longer and wont crease.
notmiki
Basic Member
Basic Member

369. PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was wondering if I could solicit some advice. I have an old Red Octane pad I'm replacing (not sure of the exact type, but it's hard foam from '03 or so). Anyway, I'm in the market for a relatively inexpensive metal pad that is PS2/Xbox 360 compatible.

Are there any pads that are naturally compatible, and barring that are there any relatively inexpensive ways to make that work?
ChilliumBromide
Trick Member
Trick Member

370. PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AfterBurner might do the job; I don't know how compatible they are and what "relatively inexpensive" is to you. You might be able to build a pad or find someone in your area willing to build one for you.
Nicknicholas
Trick Member
Trick Member

371. PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently my second red octane ignition 3.0 pad broke after about 7 months of 9/10/11 foot songs on in the groove. I am looking to buy a new pad. I want a HARD pad . MY budget is about 80$. I bought a react pad at best buy, and it was horrible.

So I am looking for a quality hard pad for about 80$.... Is ignition 3 my best bet?

Also, I need it for PS2!

Right now I am split between The deluxe blue shark (hard) pad and RO igniton 3.0, as they seem like the best. How do they compare?
View users profile Send private message Send email Xbox Live Gamertag
Sykes
Trick Member
Trick Member

372. PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which Soft Pad should I buy?

http://www.gamezfl.com/Items/Item.aspx?sck=2996901&SKU=ups-(two)-foamddr2.5&caSKU=ups-(two)-foamddr2.5&caTitle=TWO%20PS2%20DDR%20v2.5%20Dance%20Revolution%20Foam%20MAX%20SUPERNOVA%20PAD

or

http://www.buynshop.com/productinfo/4985/VG-DDR-ULTDX/

Play experience is mostly 8s, some 9s.

The first link offers 2 pads for half the price of 1 of the 2nd link, so would I be better getting that one? Or is the 2nd one a ton better.

Or should I just get the Ignition 3.0 pad?

Think of it as a monthly payment and how much play I'm going to get out of it.
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger
yukihime
Trick Member
Trick Member

373. PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sykes

In this case? I'm gonna have to say neither.

I've had one dealing with gmezfl and it wasn't pleasant. Also, you should know that most of these "ignition" knockoffs with the "plastic" inserts are actually a stiffer I think some sort of latex foam? that is glued to the underside of the top cover.

What this means is after a few weeks to about a month, month and a half if you're really lucky and don't play every day or for long AND store the pad completely flat, whether it's hot where you live or just the heat you generate by moving around on the pad - the glue on those inserts will start to let go and the inserts will move causing the pad to be unuseable. Unless you want to take the thing apart and basically sew the inserts back where they should be or just take them out altogether and try the pad that way.

BNS ... please do a search here on the forum and read others' experience with them. Apparently BNS, when you order product A sends you product X (something cheaper/inferior) without letting you know they're switching products and charging you the product A price.

Which is a shame, I was going to buy either a Fusion or Sparkle from BNS. Now? I'm not sure I'd take the chance and end up with some really cruddy third-party (gmezlf) type pad that'll break in a few weeks.
Sykes
Trick Member
Trick Member

374. PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what soft pad should I get?

Because I don't want to modify a pad and I find it frick stupid that konami/benami makes a massive hit for ps2/xbox and can't make a decent soft pad that last for it.
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger
Spazmonkey
Basic Member
Basic Member

375. PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I knew it would happen. My modded soft pad has finally passed on. I loved the guy, and we had some good times. After six months of at least an hour and a half everyday, I think I just stomped the sensors into oblivion. So, I want a metal pad now. I am looking for a good pad, for a cheap price. Ebay has some cheap ones, like some TX ones, some ninja's, and a bunch of other brands. Now, I want my pad to come pretty soon, and Cobalt flux takes like three months or something, and they are waaay out of my price range. I'm just looking for cheap, and good.
yukihime
Trick Member
Trick Member

376. PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

metal pad, good and cheap in the same sentence does not compute. At least as far as I know from everything I've read here and a couple other places.

Most of the ebay pads you're going to want to do a sheet metal mod on, I've been advised about that. Those pads are not, generally speaking, made to last all that long. They're cheap for a reason E13.gif I've read complaints about the TX 1000 and 2000 (has a bar, only difference) that the panels creak, crack and sometimes actually move or shift. The only positive with them is if you google you can find CB if your's dies and even spare arrow panels.

It's a shame RO has basically turned their backs on DDR. I mean you can get an AB, but no spare parts; MMB ... gl trying to get a BS and they're expensive, the Nexen I'm not sure how I feel about ... there's something about glued down arrow panels that makes me nervous and they have horrible CS; CF, yeah, not cheap, takes awhile to get one - at least they have a 6 month warranty?

I'm still looking for a metal pad myself. So, if you find something "good and cheap" and it lasts you for more than a month, please post for the rest of us!
yukihime
Trick Member
Trick Member

377. PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: this is it ... metal pad ordering is a MUST, please help? Reply with quote

This topic hasn't been very active lately, so I decided to make a new topic rather than edit the above, just in hopes people will note there is a new reply. Otherwise, I hate double posting and I am sorry to do so. But I am in need of your expertise and assistance!

Anyway, here goes. I've been playing since May, up to 5-6 footers (go me?), have completely had it with flat and foam pads. I seem to kill them after maybe a month - I'm 53, weigh at most 115, not a stomper, not wearing real shoes (maybe a ballet slipper since I loathe dancing barefoot nd socks I just slide around too much in). Note that I do kinda go between ball of foot for fast stuff and trying to come as close as possible to flatfooting - not easy on a foam pad, but easier on me in general. When I play, which right now is between 3 to 6 days a week cause there's too much else going on, I do play for at least an hour at a time, going between game and training mode - basic and now "lighter" standard (gotta get better at these horrid 8th and 16th notes!).

So, I'm now determined to get a metal pad ... but as usual I'm waffling ... I've been talking to someone who I'd hoped would be able to build me a pad but right now that isn't an option. Not anything they've done wrong or bad - the timing just isn't right.

Got it down to these 2 choices, with thoughts/comments on both based on what I've read here and a few other places/reviews:

CF - most durable, but is flat (can be modded with cardboard I know). I've read it's very loud and it's kind of like stepping on "concrete", as in there's very little "give" to the pad - which could definitely be a problem with arthritic knees and other assorted aches, pains and general falling apart (being old sucks). Also, seems like it can take a few weeks or more to get one. 45lbs, $300 + s/h, 6 month warranty. Slide, diagonal flatfoot seems like it'd be fairly easy - just from watching youtube.

AB - not as durable, does have "recessed" arrows (perhaps TOO recessed?), supposedly very sensitive, quieter and easier on legs/joints. Needs sheet metal mod, as they're still using foil (WHY?) which from my understanding *may* help the arrows not be quite as recessed. Concerns are the durability issue, some people have had wiring problems and had to take the pad apart and sit there with duct tape to tidy/protect the wiring, and the recessed arrows - as in how recessed; enough to trip you if you're a bit of a "slider". 50lbs, $199, not sure if this qualifies for free shipping.

The weight of both pads IS an issue, as I'm technically not supposed to lift more than 10lbs, and in fact do have a hard time doing so. On the 3rd floor of an old house (help me!), want to keep things as quiet and vibration-free as possible which is why I'm leaning toward the AB. Even with the having to do the mod and the fact that it's heavier. The $100 cheaper doesn't hurt either!

Can you do any sliding/diagonal flatfoot on the AB ... as in, Rfoot heel on R arrow, ball of foot on up arrow, kinda like \ ... yeah, I've been watching too many youtube videos and have unconsciously now been trying to do that, it seems very efficient, especially on fast songs. But you can't do that on a foam pad - at least I can't, maybe my feet aren't big enough?

No, I don't want a blueshark, it's just way too big and heavy and you can't get your hands on one anyway!

Most everything else is all third-party garbage it seems, whether it's on ebay or on a site - they're all the same drop-ship type companies that I don't think even sees what the heck they're selling and they're selling what seems to be overpriced crap. And the warranties are usually a huge joke ... like 14 days with restocking fees even for DOA items. Umm, no thanks?

Would be wearing shoes (been DYING to wear shoes!) - Puma Cat or my Wajero signature dance sneakers I've had for a long time from back when I was taking dance. Both are lightweight, flexible but would give me more support for my feet and legs.

Can't think of anything else. Would like to place order by the beginning of next week and get something good, durable, sensitive and not needing a lot of maintenance (I'm a n00b at that stuff) as soon as possible. Then I can toss out the stack of non-working or barely working foam pads finally!

Thanks in advance for any help, advice or suggestions. All are welcome!
ChilliumBromide
Trick Member
Trick Member

378. PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What arcades are nearby? If you can, try playing on an ITG2 dedicab, a PIU Pro or NX dedicab, and a DDR Extreme machine. The pads are all slightly different in feel. PIU pads are much more flexible and kind of feel like a well-made Cobalt Flux. Extreme pads feel like an AfterBurner in really good condition. ITG2 pads feel like a BlueShark with a nice bar.

If that's not an option, I'd recommend talking to slvrshdw. He's got his life together a lot more than I do and might be able to help you. If you want, I can forward a design to him that I think would best suit you. I don't know what his location is, but there's a good chance it's closer to Pennsylvania than Oregon is. E10.gif

It's great that you're up to 5's and 6's. I have friends in their late teens who have trouble with those after months of playing, so kudos on that!
yukihime
Trick Member
Trick Member

379. PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DT!

The only arcade anywhere near me has a PUI cab. Which I did try, though I'd never played the game before. I had a hard time moving around and was concentrating more on that than anything else, but I do recall having to really "stomp" to get arrows (what I could) to register, and I don't know the game. Plus for me the platform was HUGE, and I'm not that short. Finally, the arcade is one of those horrible ones with screaming, rude children running around "hey lady, gimme quarter", say no and get the physically impossible to do to yourself reply type stuff, so I never went back. No DDR machine that I can get to.

Therefore, no experience with arcade. DDR is my big thing. Have ITG CS game, but the interface drives me crazy so I don't play it much.

Saw on another topic that Slvrshdw, while he does build, isn't right now due to being in college and away from what he'd need to build. You know I'd love a homebrew and you've had some very good ideas based on my needs/wants/preferences.

So, I'm kind of back round in the circle between CF and AB I guess. Argh, why can't this be even a little easier?
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 19 of 23

Jump to: