Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Konami will....god dammit

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Other Bemani and Music Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
El Band Geek
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Konami will....god dammit Reply with quote

............................................________
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,
.........................,/...............................................”:,
.....................,?......................................................\,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:”........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

NIQ9
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my friends just told me about this. Before Rock Band came out, I was telling him that Rock Band 2 probably wouldn't exist. So... Rock band 3 probably won't exist blink.gif

It makes me wonder what will happen to Guitar Hero. Last I heard, they only had rights to make a guitar based game =/
Is that why they're following ITG's footsteps and allowing custom songs? erm.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what i don't get is that the game is actually different by a considerable margin compared to konami's offerings. (as opposed to ITG, which from a design standpoint is practically identical to DDR).

just another big eye roll to Konami....
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bloomberg Article wrote:
The Konami patents, issued in 2002 and 2003, relate to simulated musical instruments, a music-game system and a "musical-rhythm matching game.''

Wait, so Konami has a monopoly on the music genre? Or am I just reading this wrong?

Anyway, Konami needs to suck it up and stop suing everyone who competes with them. Maybe having some decent competition would get them to make better games sarc.gif

A woman on Team WIMN... Lolz
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
tekkie
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breaking the law is breaking the law.
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can they possibly win this, though?
To win a claim like this, you need to prove that your patented product's success was undermined by the copy, and there is no way they can show that.

Guitar Freaks and Drummania were never close to being mainstream hits, and hardly have any common market with Rock Band or Guitar Hero.

I think Konami will not only look bad for doing this, they will also lose the case.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website MSN Messenger
NIQ9
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope they lose. Rock Band and GH4 look so much better.

Rock Revolution = SuperNOVA
Rock Band = ITG
GHWT = R21
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NIQ9 wrote:
Rock Band = ITG

not really. the drums are completely different from drummania, and the guitar is completely different from guitar freaks. perhaps if the drums had three drum heads and two cymbols, and the guitar only had three buttons, it would be analagous. it's more the equivelant to pump or technomotion, since it actually changed the layouts rather than duplicating everything. conceptually, maybe. but not design-wise.
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he was making a quality comparison, not a hardware/design, comparison.

A woman on Team WIMN... Lolz
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
Valex
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the dude that asked about Guitar Hero, Neversoft/Activision pays royalties to Konami, so it's all OK there

Hopefully the worst that comes out of this is just some simple payments, I won't be happy if I can't get RB2!
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NIQ9 wrote:
I really hope they lose. Rock Band and GH4 look so much better.

Rock Revolution = SuperNOVA
Rock Band = ITG
GHWT = R21

R21=ITG.....i'd say....

Rock Revolution = MC dance groovez dance craze
Rock Band = ITG
GHWT = DDR supernova.
BAGGER VANCE
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, check out a quick part of konami's press conference.

3:17 - Lauren Faccidomo is on stage to talk about Rock Revolution.

3:18 - The Sheenas, an all female Ramones Tribute band is on stage to play real instruments and generally rock out.

3:19 - Smelly guy is so excited he got out of his seat to stake pictures. I almost barfed when he squeezed by me.

3:20 - Lauren Faccidomo is rocking the 'eff out.

3:21 - Lauren and a Konami guy are playing Blitzkreig Bop on the game now. They suck at it. Daemon would have been better at the drums.

3:22 - Everything about this sounds awful. The cover is terrible. the sound effects for missing notes hurt my ears and THEY FAILED THE SONG!

3:22 - And it's over. Konami ends the press conference by failing at their own game.

got this from IGN.
epilonious
Staff Member
Staff Member

12. PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cfusionpm wrote:
not really. the drums are completely different from drum-mania, and the guitar is completely different from guitar freaks. perhaps if the drums had three drum heads and two cymbals, and the guitar only had three buttons, it would be analogous.

Konami has a patent for a guitar-like controller with buttons and a twiddler that plugs into a game console.

Konami has a patent for a drum-like controller with pads and a foot-pedal that plugs into a game console.

They released games that used both first in the US, so it's not like their patents are invalidated by prior art... and while their drums are "different" and the guitar freak guitar has less buttons or whatever than the Rock Band guitar... it is still frankly obvious that they are similar controllers. And, well, patents tend to protect companies from some people making minor modifications on a hot new thing and saying it's 'totally different'.

Frankly I see this as Harmonix being stupid and not Konami being mean. Trying to argue that Rock Band isn't a rip-off of guitar-freaks/drum-mania session is pretty much taking a bath in bullshit. Hell, Guitar Hero went out of their way to go to Konami first and set up the licensing deals because Konami is incredibly adamant about suing people they think are ripping them off and usually win... and harmonix is pretty much "the original guitar hero team." So trying to go "oh.., um... we didn't realize Konami already had patents for things that were already like this" was pure retarded.

Unfortunately, Rock Band has a whole lot of blithering fans who are now realizing the very imminent threat that Harmonix being dumb might get their franchise shut down or eaten right in front of their very eyes. And they're blaming Konami for doing what is in it's best interest.
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it.

Discomang:Epi loves penis. epi waffle-roffles.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger
~Xx=STABMASTER-ARSON=xX~
Trick Member
Trick Member

Location: Making sweet sweet passionate love with my one and only :3c
13. PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

epilonious wrote:
cfusionpm wrote:
not really. the drums are completely different from drum-mania, and the guitar is completely different from guitar freaks. perhaps if the drums had three drum heads and two cymbals, and the guitar only had three buttons, it would be analogous.

Konami has a patent for a guitar-like controller with buttons and a twiddler that plugs into a game console.

Konami has a patent for a drum-like controller with pads and a foot-pedal that plugs into a game console.

They released games that used both first in the US, so it's not like their patents are invalidated by prior art... and while their drums are "different" and the guitar freak guitar has less buttons or whatever than the Rock Band guitar... it is still frankly obvious that they are similar controllers. And, well, patents tend to protect companies from some people making minor modifications on a hot new thing and saying it's 'totally different'.

Frankly I see this as Harmonix being stupid and not Konami being mean. Trying to argue that Rock Band isn't a rip-off of guitar-freaks/drum-mania session is pretty much taking a bath in bullshit. Hell, Guitar Hero went out of their way to go to Konami first and set up the licensing deals because Konami is incredibly adamant about suing people they think are ripping them off and usually win... and harmonix is pretty much "the original guitar hero team." So trying to go "oh.., um... we didn't realize Konami already had patents for things that were already like this" was pure retarded.

Unfortunately, Rock Band has a whole lot of blithering fans who are now realizing the very imminent threat that Harmonix being dumb might get their franchise shut down or eaten right in front of their very eyes. And they're blaming Konami for doing what is in it's best interest.

What I'm most upset about is the chance of never seeing another FreQuency or Amplitude title from them.
Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Politically Correct (JFK) wrote:
What I'm most upset about is the chance of never seeing another FreQuency or Amplitude title from them.

hopefully they will release another similar game, but with a custom controller rather than using the reletively awkward playstation button layouts for control. that would be an excellent beatmania-like alternative to guitars and drums. unless of course konami also owns patents for "pressing buttons to music" as well. =/
Staff Member
Staff Member

15. PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cfusionpm wrote:
Politically Correct (JFK) wrote:

hopefully they will release another similar game, but with a custom controller rather than using the reletively awkward playstation button layouts for control. that would be an excellent beatmania-like alternative to guitars and drums. unless of course konami also owns patents for "pressing buttons to music" as well. =/

I'd rather they make sequels that can use the beatmania IIDX controllers and pay Konami the $2 royalty per game rather than suffer the fan froth.
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it.

Discomang:Epi loves penis. epi waffle-roffles.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Other Bemani and Music Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: