Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Isn't it about time DDRFreak made some changes...?
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Site Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maxx freak
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Isn't it about time DDRFreak made some changes...? Reply with quote

As far as I know, DDRFreak.com has been exactly the same ever since it started. The interface hasn't changed, site structure hasn't changed, I mean I joined in 2005 and nothing has changed.

Are there any plans for change? Maybe upgrade to phpBB3 or vBulletin? Maybe change the site colors a little, make it more modern-ddr style...

I mean the site doesn't have to change much, but I think a new look would be interesting.

Please don't get mad at me or flame, it's just a suggestion...
View users profile Send private message Send email
[symphony]
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psh I donno what you're talking about. I've seen the site change a few times. I think you're statement of "since it started" might be very incorrect.

Didder is doing just fine I think. The forum button is easy to find and so is the random chat link, I mean that's pretty much all we need.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
maxx freak
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well maybe not since the beginning, but it's been the same since 2005 when I joined.

I just think we can use a few cosmetic tweaks. Maybe upgrade forum software, get a glossier theme... we don't even really need a whole new theme, maybe just a few graphical tweaks here and there... something to make the place new and inviting again. DDRFreak is seeming really bland nowadays compared to bemanistyle or stepmania.com (no offense to the DDRFreak staff and members).
View users profile Send private message Send email
stuffmonger
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxx freak wrote:
Well maybe not since the beginning, but it's been the same since 2005 when I joined.

I just think we can use a few cosmetic tweaks. Maybe upgrade forum software, get a glossier theme... we don't even really need a whole new theme, maybe just a few graphical tweaks here and there... something to make the place new and inviting again. DDRFreak is seeming really bland nowadays compared to bemanistyle or stepmania.com (no offense to the DDRFreak staff and members).

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Although I do agree that some of the site features should be updated (like song lists section to include all current ddr versions).

...also some of the stickies.
View users profile Send private message
Edible Bondage Tape
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Isn't it about time DDRFreak made some changes...? Reply with quote

maxx freak wrote:
As far as I know, DDRFreak.com has been exactly the same ever since it started. The interface hasn't changed, site structure hasn't changed, I mean I joined in 2005 and nothing has changed.

Are there any plans for change? Maybe upgrade to phpBB3 or vBulletin? Maybe change the site colors a little, make it more modern-ddr style...

I mean the site doesn't have to change much, but I think a new look would be interesting.

Please don't get mad at me or flame, it's just a suggestion...

you are too new to remember the older versions this is a vast improvement over v2
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there could be one thing I'd liked changed, I'd like to have the ability to read the 1st post of a thread/"preview it" by just having my cursor over the title of the thread.

Honestly, despite the fact that it's been the same for almost 3 years/as long as I've been here, I'm alright w/ it. The color scheme works just fine, & there's more in the profile.

What's the difference between phpBB2 & phpBB3?
VxJasonxV
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

6. PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zonic wrote:
What's the difference between phpBB2 & phpBB3?
Cosmetically? A ton.
Under the hood? Even more.

Amusing Pictures: lolddrfreak | Road of LoQ
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website Xbox Live Gamertag
JustJeff
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

7. PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think old girl could use a new outfit.
View users profile Send private message Xbox Live Gamertag
LEEROOOOOY JENNNNNKINS
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I think just a few color changes here and there would improve the site drastically....it doesn't have to be a huge change, but something slightly new would be nice.
IguanaGrrl
Staff Member
Staff Member

9. PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole reason why changes always were/likely still are slow to come is because of all of the modifications that were hand-coded... like the spiffy warning system and the like. It makes even cosmetic changes a pain in the tushy.

Not that I'm really involved with the site staffing or anything anymore, but I would venture to say that that would be the reason...
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand completely how much work goes into coding, but it doens't change the fact that this site could use a little bit of touch up work.

Last edited by LEEROOOOOY JENNNNNKINS on Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total
LEEROOOOOY JENNNNNKINS
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

site double posted on me
BemaniManiac
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the site could use a face lift.

I think a lot of the time when communities like these get older they need a new look to help them stay current. A lot of people may randomly come back to ddr freak to look for some info on a new game or what not and when they see the site has not really moved in the last ~4+ years they don't really bother to stick around. They just think "that is the same old ddr freak" but when the site has been changed up, or in our case maybe upgraded to a new mix, it looks fresh and new again. It keeps people coming back and using the site.

Take for example the DDR games themselves. If DDR 1st mix came out and people started playing it Konami would invest in making the game better. Now say they made it to 3rd mix. They have the new digital arcade hardware so they can pack in more songs. They have at the time was a brand new interface and engine to run DDR on. What if they had left it like that? What if DDR:Extreme was with all the same songs but it was still 3rd mix running under the hood? How many of us will still be playing? Would DDREX even exist? Chances are not many of us would be playing and DDREX would have never made it.

You have to look at the site in the same light. If nothing ever gets cleaned up and nothing ever changes you don't get that fresh interface and that new user feel again. People need that feel of advancement and in order to keep this community alive you are going to need to advance it.

Just my 2 cents.
Joel Stud?!
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The forums here are just fine. They look clean, are easy to navigate and use, and have most of the features a person could want (honestly, I think embedded videos would just cause problems).

If any part of the site could use a facelift, its the actual site, not the forums, and I don't even know how many people use all of the resources there anymore.

And, while this site may not look as spiffy as something like BMS, it runs a heck of a whole lot faster (most of the time).
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
joshdogg
Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Lol Reply with quote

IguanaGrrl wrote:
The whole reason why changes always were/likely still are slow to come is because of all of the modifications that were hand-coded... like the spiffy warning system and the like. It makes even cosmetic changes a pain in the tushy.

Not that I'm really involved with the site staffing or anything anymore, but I would venture to say that that would be the reason...

For once i agree with you. I have hand coded some things myself and yes it is a doggy just to implement things new. Especially if yuou create new tables and stuff like that.

View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Toraie
Trick Member
Trick Member

15. PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I realize that moving such a huge forum, or doing anything to it period would be a huge pain, but it's one of the last few that I've joined that's still on PHPBB2. I think an upgrade would be reeeal nice. I can handle the load time, but it's all about convenience, y'know?

Also don't know about those hand-coded mods or how they'd translate, but hopefully so. Thought I'd mention it, anyway.
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
Edible Bondage Tape
Trick Member
Trick Member

16. PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toraie wrote:
So I realize that moving such a huge forum, or doing anything to it period would be a huge pain, but it's one of the last few that I've joined that's still on PHPBB2. I think an upgrade would be reeeal nice. I can handle the load time, but it's all about convenience, y'know?

Also don't know about those hand-coded mods or how they'd translate, but hopefully so. Thought I'd mention it, anyway.

they would be impossible to move now

all the people who wrote them originally have quit the site and no one left really has much in the was of coding knolwedge
Trick Member
Trick Member

17. PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edible Bondage Tape wrote:
they would be impossible to move now

all the people who wrote them originally have quit the site and no one left really has much in the was of coding knolwedge

o i c

Wasn't countin' on it much anyway, but at least I know why now.
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
joshdogg
Trick Member
Trick Member

18. PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject: i do Reply with quote

I do like it . I have been here forever. I dont think it is impossible to move I just think it would take somebody who is actually dedicated to moving the site.

View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Suko
Trick Member
Trick Member

19. PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. I <3 DDR Freak, but it's definitely showing it's age. I'd love to see it and Beatspace combine to form a hybrid site for players like us. I like the social networking aspect of Beatspace, but the forums suck. Using the DDR Freak forums in conjunction with the Beatspace network would be a win-win IMO.

DDRecall | Groovestats | Beatspace | UI Bemani Club | Suko's Shirt Shack
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Site Feedback All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: