Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Phase - A Rhythm Game for Your iPod....Using Your Own Music

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Other Bemani and Music Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
El Band Geek
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Phase - A Rhythm Game for Your iPod....Using Your Own Music Reply with quote

Its even made by Harmonix for God's sake

5 bucks for a Frequency/Amplitude-ish game that uses my own music....sounds like a good idea to me.

Sadly, I must wait another week until after Mario Galaxy is out and I have money again (seriously, I can't even afford 5 bucks)

Last edited by El Band Geek on Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
Flameboat
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had an iPod, I would totally get that.
Mushroooshi
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump = Totally worth it.

So, um, I got Phase.

Here is the stuff:

1. If you are lazy, and don't feel like unlocking Expert and Insane Mode, get/make/edit some 30 or so second song, upload 5 copies it it to your Phase Playlist, and then don't give a crap except for the last 2 rounds on Marathon.
Instructions:
A. Erase everything from your song Playlist
B. Upload a 30 second repetitive song. Why: It makes it so its only 1 checkpoint
C. Make 4 more copies of it, bring it to 5 total. Why: Marathon mode requires 5 songs.
D. Ignore the 3 first rounds if you want.
E. When it comes to the last 2, suppose you have to get 4 or 5 stars... you always start with 3 lives, so you will want to get 1 or 2 stars.

2. Gameplay Learning curve: Easy.

3. The streams are based on the absolute location of your finger, not the relative. Say the stream goes from the left to the middle. Instead of being able to move it from, say, 3oclock to 6oclock, or whatever, you move it from 9oclick to 12oclock. Good feature.

4. Insane mode and Expert mode suck. I have played 6 songs with these, and the steps are no different from the hard mode. Its like to make heavy or oni mode, you take the same steps from standard, but make it so to pass you need a full combo. Not cool.

5. The system doesn't have the "Perfect", "Great", "Good", "Almost", "Boo" rating. Instead, its either you hit it or miss. Not challenging.

6. The checkpoint system is annoying, since it gives down time, a pause. I'd rather have it keep going and going.

I'd have to give this a rating of: 7/10

It makes a great game, and is addicting on the go. However, don't bother with unlocking Expert and Insane mode, unless you are a perfect attacker. Also, the steps are rather easy to do, and the checkpoint system is lame.

~~~

Finally, a useful post from me biggrin.gif
tobeannouncd
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, the beat-matching algorithm doesn't work well if the song doesn't have a strong beat (and by a strong beat, I mean a loud bass drum at each quarter note).

This combined with the laggy iPod hardware does not make for a good music game.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Other Bemani and Music Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: