Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

(Guitar Hero) I must be the only person in the world...

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Other Bemani and Music Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
0rion
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: (Guitar Hero) I must be the only person in the world... Reply with quote

...that prefers to play Guitar Hero on a regular controller. I thought at first people would accuse me of "cheating" (which is a laugh, considering how liberal the grading system is anyway compared to most music games), but in reality, people just ask me how I can stand to do something so counterintuitive.

To me, though, I've never really liked the guitar controller setup, either on this or on Guitar Freaks (which I played first). While I can manage it with no real trouble, I've never liked the idea of hitting one button to get ready to strike a note, then hitting another to actually do it. Even though the controller setup is somewhat... yucky... on Guitar Hero, I still think it's more enjoyable in terms of casual play.

Maybe it's because I haven't had the urge to do "air guitar" since I was about 6 years old, I don't know. But what I'm getting at is this: does anyone else ever play Guitar Hero on the controller? I'd like to see if I'm really the only person in the world that does.

Last edited by 0rion on Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
Flameboat
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a lot of DDR on controller, but I didn't like GH on it.
Valex
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally for me it's really confusing for anything higher than Medium, I've had to do it when I play with my cousins though since I only have 1 controller
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of my friends hates playing GH with the guitar controller because her hands are too small....so she plays with the controller. shes actually pretty good at it, medium/hard.....not bad for someone who doest own the game.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
cfusionpm
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've actually been putzing around with the idea of modifying my IIDX controller to use for GH. like to use for beating stuff like jordan. i'll probably never do it, but it'd be neat to try. that said, i dont particularly like using the controller, but only because the button layout is awkward to me.
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually tried playing beatmania with a guitar hero controller, you can only hit the first 3 white keys. Its really weird, worked something like this...(not exactly accurate, just going by my memory)

Strum bar- Turntable Scratch
Green Button- 5 (third white button)
Red Button- Nothing
Yellow- 1
Blue-3
Orange-5
Motion Sensor in Guitar-6 (yea, really weird)

Orion, how do you play w/a controller, whats the button layout?
zaphod
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually people usually beat buckethead expert this way.

they modify their GH controller so that at the flick of a switch strumming is no longer needed.

The real guitar is played the way the guitar games are done.you fret the notes and strum to play them. And Guitar Hero is very true to the instrument
Fallingwalls
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tried playing Gears of War with the guitar. Its sweet once you get the hang of it. If you moved the angle of the guitar up or down, your characters crosshairs would move correspondingly. Theyd look left/right with the tremolo.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
El Band Geek
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried playing tekken with a GH controller before....in the arcade (it was one of the machine with the PS ports)

it was....interesting
TheWertle
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually play with a dualshock but not by my own choice. My first guitar controller from GH1 died after about 2 months for no reason and my second one that I got with GH3 died in a week. Because the wireless receiver fell onto the carpet I think. Redoctane sucks at making controllers.

Either way, I'm pretty decent with the dualshock. 5 starred all of 80's on expert first try. 5 starred gh3 on hard except for One so far. Its fine playing on a dualshock until you come up against massive jacks on one note where you would usually just be strumming up down a lot. several songs are simply not possible because of this.
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine plays with the controller, mainly because he doesn't feel like buying an actual guitar (not sure how/why he got the game really). He says it's way easier to beat harder songs.

Still, it feels like you only really get half the fun out of playing the game with a controller. Why not just play IIDX in that case?
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Other Bemani and Music Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: