Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

FAQ about Arcade DDR
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aoi-chan
Vivid Member
Vivid Member

400. PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foxxy-Mito wrote:
I only found this question once in the twenty pages of this FAQ, but it was unanswered.

I am having a problem with my monitor in my Japanese DDR cabinet. The picture itself (not the monitor) jumps while I play, as if the vertical-hold needs to be adjusted. As far as I know, there is not a vertical-hold knob on a Japanese DDR cabinet.

Sometimes it jumps so much that I cannot even see the graphics clearly at all. If it helps, I can record a movie because this happens too often while playing.

It's most likely a cold solder joint on the monitor board. If vibrations or hitting the side of the cabinet makes the screen jump, that's more than likely your problem. You don't need to replace the entire board as somebody else has suggested. These boards are repairable and if the CRT is still good, then by all means, fix the board.

In the unlikely event that it's just an adjustment on the board, try adjusting all the pots on the remote board (that's the board with the color adjusts, brightness, etc in a Japanese cabinet). There are also pots on the neckboard and possibly on the monitor board itself. I don't recall, since I work with several different mont. bds.

Hopefully this all makes sense to you. If you don't know what cold solder is or how to find it, then try looking up a company that can repair the board for you, or call a local arcade for help.

Good Luck.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Aoi-chan
Vivid Member
Vivid Member

401. PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterInuYasha wrote:
I am having abit of a problem with our DDREX cab, On the left side, the left and right lights on the panels will stay on contently when someone plays on that side, it still works, but the lights stay on, i haven't really had time to pull the panel off, but would this be a bad sensor, or shorted wire?

I would check your wiring first. Try disconnecting and swapping the two connectors at the logic board, labeled pad 1 and pad 2 respectively. Those are the light inputs to the logic. These are on the logic, where there will be 4 connectors in all and they are color coded.

The next thing to check is the invertor boards inside each of the arrows on that pad. The invertor boards are those tiny boards that are mounted between both neon lights inside the arrow. Try swapping those boards with a properly working arrow's board and see if the problem follows that board or stays with that arrow. If the problem follows the board, you've got a bad invertor board.

Next, try disconnecting all the sensors one at a time in that arrow and see if the lights ever turn off. If they do, there's a bad sensor. And do the lights stay on only during game play or all the time?

Lastly, you can trace the wiring back to the I/O boards, which are in the top/left or top/right corners of each pad. These I/O boards are where all the wires from the sensors and lights connect, which then lead back to the logic. You can try swapping those boards and see if the problem follows the board or stays on the problem side.

Hope that helps.
Ho-Man
Contributor
Contributor

402. PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the discussion of monitor repair, I thought this would be a good time to restate a general warning about CRT monitors.

If you don't know what you're doing on a CRT, don't guess! CRTs contain extremely high voltage that CAN KILL YOU. There are ways to work on a CRT monitor safely, but if you don't know what they are, please don't find out the hard way which parts are dangerous.
Yeehaw McKickass
Contributor
Contributor

403. PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ho-Man wrote:
With the discussion of monitor repair, I thought this would be a good time to restate a general warning about CRT monitors.

If you don't know what you're doing on a CRT, don't guess! CRTs contain extremely high voltage that CAN KILL YOU. There are ways to work on a CRT monitor safely, but if you don't know what they are, please don't find out the hard way which parts are dangerous.

Echoing this, becuase getting shocked by a monitor HURTS LIKE HELL
Basic Member
Basic Member

404. PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is going to sound a bit bad but here.

My local arcade has been pwned into swapping there DDR Extreme mainboards into EuroMIX 2 ones. Problem is they now want DDR Extreme back. Is there any of way of installing Extreme without IC chip / cart? or even a bootleg.

I also made a backup of there original disk before the swap was made will this work without the IC/Cart?

Regards
Adam
View users profile Send private message
Ho-Man
Contributor
Contributor

405. PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are definitely not going to get Extreme on that system unit with only a copy of the Extreme disc. System 573 has a regional lockout much like many consoles do, and the regions for Extreme (JP) and EM2 (EU) do not match.

Your only hope using only the copy of the Extreme disc is if that EM2 is a bootleg itself (it probably isn't). I've not seen nor heard of EM bootlegs. That doesn't mean they don't exist, but even if they do, there's no guarantee that it would be "compatible" with your Extreme disc.

I have an extra System 573 that I might be willing to trade you for the EM2 hardware. PM me if you're interested.
adamaniax
Basic Member
Basic Member

406. PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isnt there a way to hex edit the psx file's region to another one? I may be interested in changing I'll get back to you. Ive tryed fiddling with the ex disk today but now its saying the Security Cassette is fudged even when EM2 is in anyideas? frown.gif

Also, I'm tempted in buying a 573 board lacking flashrom can you use other brand flash roms in 573? example: http://www.valuemedia.co.uk/popparts.htm?part=ATA032P&popup=popup
kyaku
Trick Member
Trick Member

407. PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 5:55 am    Post subject: cleaning ritual? Reply with quote

Hi all,
It's been a long time since I've been here, not that anyone would remember me anyway. E7.gif Now I'm back with a question that I hope has an easy answer.

As part of the next cleaning ritual that I must perform on our DDREX, I'd like to clean the nasty looking back side of the glass that covers the monitor. It LOOKS like it'd be a fairly easy job but if anyone has had one open, I'd appreciate any tips on what to expect.

Thanks for ALL! Love this site.

Kyaku
Contributor
Contributor

408. PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really easy to clean. Just unscrew the panel with the buttons, lift the glass out, wipe it down, and put everything back in place.

While you're in there you might as well wipe down the screen too (spray your rag/paper towe then wipe down).
Trick Member
Trick Member

409. PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeehaw McKickass wrote:
It's really easy to clean. Just unscrew the panel with the buttons, lift the glass out, wipe it down, and put everything back in place.

While you're in there you might as well wipe down the screen too (spray your rag/paper towe then wipe down).

Thanks; exactly what I wanted to hear! I was afraid I'd find hidden "work" after I started. laugh.gif
Vivid Member
Vivid Member

410. PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyaku wrote:
Yeehaw McKickass wrote:

Thanks; exactly what I wanted to hear! I was afraid I'd find hidden "work" after I started. laugh.gif

One extra hidden thing that not a bad idea and will cut down on your cleaning. Open up the back of the cabinet by the Monitor and remove the panel with the start/select buttons. Wipe out this entire section of the machine, it will be very dusty. Clean out the vents/cooling fans as well. Cleaning the insides of your cabinet will result in cleaner, cooler (temp wise) and better running machines for years to come.

One side note, clean your CRT/Glass on the under side at least 2-3 times a year. More often in dirty locations (ie where smoking is allowed).
cusicat
Trick Member
Trick Member

411. PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have an Upgraded DDR EXTREME (originally DDR 3rdMIX korean). after we upgraded it, we notice that some songs doesn't have any preview songs while selecting what shall we do. and also can we put memory cards on it even it is a KOREAN (573 System Digital) please help us..........
Crono
Trick Member
Trick Member

412. PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: FAQ about Arcade DDR Reply with quote

Yeehaw McKickass wrote:
Q: Ok, I know what event mode is, how do I get to it?
A: Put the machine on free play, then hold down the service button (only) when exiting the operator's menu.

I was looking around for how to set a DDR Extreme machine to event mode for an upcoming tournament and I found this in the FAQ, however, having used event mode in the past I had foggy recollections of having to do something else as well...maybe I'm just thinking of how you have to hold one of the player arrows down to put in unlock codes? I just wanted to check quickly before I actually run this thing.
Contributor
Contributor

413. PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To enter the unlock codes you have to hold down the 1p down arrow then hit a button combination I don't remember because it's been about 2 years since I've had any dealings with a DDR machine.

The FAQ is correct on event mode though. Unless someone else has other information.

Cusicat: Try a different CD in the drive, beyond that, a different CDROM drive.
Trick Member
Trick Member

414. PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aoi-chan wrote:
kyaku wrote:
Yeehaw McKickass wrote:

One extra hidden thing that not a bad idea and will cut down on your cleaning. Open up the back of the cabinet by the Monitor and remove the panel with the start/select buttons. Wipe out this entire section of the machine, it will be very dusty. Clean out the vents/cooling fans as well. Cleaning the insides of your cabinet will result in cleaner, cooler (temp wise) and better running machines for years to come.

One side note, clean your CRT/Glass on the under side at least 2-3 times a year. More often in dirty locations (ie where smoking is allowed).

Finally cleaned the glass! It was simple and the result is grand. The glass was even lighter/ thinner than I expected.

I'm not sure about messing around anywhere near the back of the monitor area though. I don't want to die for this machine and most of my training on high voltage amounts to "if you don't have to mess with it, don't!". Once we had to swap motherboards and the professional that did it actually cringed as he did the plug in on the monitor.

Next I think I'll clean out the heavy accumulation of dust in the light/bass speaker area. It looks simple except for the removal of about 20 screws each. Stop me if I'm wrong. Thanks guys!!

PS I'd also like to give a great big thanks to the one who came up with the LocTite solution for bracket screws!! It was a pain to find the low strength red that I used but, yesterday when I cleaned the pads, only about 3 screw sets had fallen out. And they were probably ones that had not been "glued" yet.

PSS While I'm at it, we're looking for a lower access door. The one that covers the coin bin. We are going to try out an electronic coin drop and need a blank door. Darn things aren't the standard US size. Go figure! happy.gif
dancedanceowch
Basic Member
Basic Member

415. PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Standard PSX connectors Reply with quote

I got alot of standard PSX connectors and other parts from an a repair gig i do, what can i do with them with a DDR machine?

I also have spare compactflash cards.

laugh.gif HELP!
View users profile Send private message Send email
Dai101
Trick Member
Trick Member

416. PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI, long time no posting here.

I've been wondering, how you upgrade/downgrade a bootleg machine? I would like to play MAX 2 in my local arcade since i've got to take 2 bus to go to the other and they close early than the other. That is my question, also, can you copy a bootleg disc? How you do it? (I mean, is nothing different from the way you copy any other disc? using any particular software) i hope not being breaking any rule ... BTW, both machines are bootlegs (or at last my local EXTREME, i know it), they got originally a 4th MIX (legit)
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
Yeehaw McKickass
Contributor
Contributor

417. PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ho can fill you in on the particular process on upgrading/downgrading. I've never done it, but it's supposedly easy if you're using the bootlegs with 2 discs.

As for copying a bootleg disc, if you've ever made a copy of a data disc it's the SAME exact process. I'll just say you need to be dealing with a file type that begins with i and ends with o, oh, and it's three letters.
Basic Member
Basic Member

418. PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Addressing bunches of stuff in backwards order going back a few months, here.

Upgrading/downgrading
------------------------------
Most of the 2-disc bootlegs seem to be based on the same stuff; i.e. you don't need to swap mod boards when changing mixes. In this case, it's just a matter of putting the "install disc" for the mix you want to change to in, allowing the install to complete (takes about 10 minutes), then swapping to the "game disc" and rebooting when the installer prompts you to (obviously, you don't need to write the number on the security cart like it tells you to).

There are some mod boards out there that only work with certain styles of bootlegs. If you get a security error of some sort when you try to boot back onto the game disc, try swapping in the mod board that came with the kit for the mix you're trying to run. This takes some extra time since you have to pull the system unit apart, but isn't too difficult. If you have several mod boards, you may eventually find one that works for every mix you have. I've found that the style which only has a ROM and one other chip (a PIC micro) tends to hold the best chances for being "universal", while the ones with several chips tend to only work with certain mixes (the MAXes seem to use this type).

If you have a one disc bootleg or have lost the installer, you'll probably have to burn a custom installer disc since these will only upgrade, not downgrade. The method that usually works is to grab psx.exe from a known-good installer of a similar mix and replace the psx.exe on the game disc, then burn that as an installer.

Note that you can almost always recover from a botched install if you have a known working two disc set (installer and game disc pair) by using the install disc from that set. The two disc style bootleg installers are set upt to just always do an install, and this will put everything back into a state where things will work.

Cleaning monitors
-----------------------
As for cleaning monitors, just clean the front glass (both sides) and the front of the tube (behind the front glass). Don't mess around on the back. There's no need to clean it, there's potentially lethal voltages back there (~25,000 volts), and applying water to the back of the monitor can actually sometimes render it unusable (by removing the so-called "dag").

I would like to re-emphasize Ho-Man's point on monitor safety: If you don't know what you're doing, simply stay away from the back. They won't bite you from the front, and while they can be safely serviced, if you don't know what you're doing YOU CAN BE KILLED working on a CRT monitor.

Entering unlock codes
---------------------------
For unlocks, go into test mode, arrow up to "game options" (but don't select it), hold the 1P down arrow, the service credit button (below the test button and above degauss on Japanese machines, and the only other button on Korean cabinets), and then select the option. You'll be taken to the "secret" menu. Select "append". Enter the unlock code using the directions given on the screen. Once done, exit out of the menus to game mode directly without changing any other options. Changing other otpions often invalidates the unlock code entry.

Extreme on the Korean Machine
---------------------------------------
Sounds like a crappy bootleg. Lots of bootlegs exhibit this problem. Sometimes, you can try reburning the CD either from a known good image (ISO) or just from the disc itself. Generally, this doesn't affect gameplay. As for mem card slots working, they do. You can actually hook memory card slots up to 3rd Mix Korea and it'll happily load link data and such.
adamaniax
Basic Member
Basic Member

419. PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody happen to have a DDR EX install disk? My friends cabinet is practically bricked without one as we tryed to install 5th mix with no means of reinstalling EX now we cant get EX back on frown.gif
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 21 of 22

Jump to: