Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Forum Reorganization-READ OR DIE UPDATED(7/7/07)

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Discoman
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

0. PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:20 am    Post subject: Forum Reorganization-READ OR DIE UPDATED(7/7/07) Reply with quote

Hello again everyone!

tl;dr version:
DO NOT MAKE A THREAD ASKING WHAT PAD TO GET
--post in the Pad Arena thread
(example: http://www.ddrfreak.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=126910)
DON'T BUMP REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY OLD THREADS UNLESS IT IS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY.
This is a DDRFreak rule.
(example: http://www.ddrfreak.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=120865)
POST IN THE STICKY OR THE THREAD FOR THE PAD. DON'T MAKE A NEW THREAD
(example: http://www.ddrfreak.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=126786)

Getting this out of the way; thank you to all the BC [Bemani Controllers] newcomers who actually read this announcement, stickies, etc. Really.

New users who come into this forum tend to post quite a few questions about pads that have threads one or two pages back (with significant information about them in those threads). This is simple and needs to be resolved. See #1 in the cardinal rules.

In a similar vein, it seems a lot of folks are simply coming in (mainly new users) and posting these "Which pad is better" threads. This is nice but smaller threads get tossed by the wayside after being answered and no good answers given in these threads survive long enough for the next person to come along and say, "well, gosh, my question looks to be answered." We have a solution for this. See #2.

So, here are the cardinal rules to this forum:

Cardinal Rule #1

If you have a question about one specific kind of pad, BY GOD post in the thread for the pad. Points are out and more are coming.
Note:I understand if a thread is three or more pages back. I'll let that slide.

Cardinal Rule #2

DO NOT POST A THREAD ASKING WHICH PAD IS BETTER. This echoes straight from Cutriss's announcement which still rings true;
A little over two years ago, Cutriss wrote:
DO NOT POST A "WHICH PAD SHOULD I GET?" OR A "PAD X VS. PAD Y" THREAD.
If you're trying to choose between two or more pads, then post IN THE THREADS FOR THOSE PADS. Do NOT make a new thread for this.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. On top of this, though, I have an alternative. As you may have noticed, there is now a "Pad Arena" thread, named by DancingTofu. Take all your X-pad versus Y-pad questions to this thread. Anything outside that thread or the thread of the respective pads will be locked and warning points will be issued.

Cardinal Rule #3

Did you build a pad? Awesome. Completing a project such as that deserves a lot of merit. We're all proud, and I say that in all sincerity. However, it seems like everyone is making a new thread about their pad every other day. The "My home built metal DDR pad (Part IV)" thread will still be used for questions relating to ddrhomepad's design and those conversations going on at the moment.

Due to low traffic, I'm going to un-sticky the DIY pad thread and let it die. However, the My home built metal DDR pad (Part IV) thread is already far too long, and I am considering retiring it while preserving the information there. Presumably, the Home Built Metal DDR Pad Part V thread will have links to parts 1-4. Suggestions welcomed.

I will make exceptions to individuals or groups that have posted outside of the thread if they have made significant innovations, an entirely new design, or planning to open up shop (nearly sticky-worthy stuff). Ergo, if you've just built yourself a pad to have some fun on, whether you've made a few tweaks to make it extra sexy or just built one according to a design, put it in that thread.

Review

If you have a question about one specific kind of pad, BY GOD post in the thread for the pad.
If you want a comparison of pads, then go to the Pad Arena thread. DO NOT make your own thread comparing the two.
If you've built yourself a pad, go to the Do It Yourself Pad Review thread.
If you have questions about making your own pads, take it to the My Home Built Metal Pad thread.

Comments welcomed. Before anyone says this, though, I do want to say that I know this will make BC a little sticky-heavy.

EDIT: Something else I just thought of; I'm not a pad-maker by any means, but I would like to very much have cooperation with folks in BC to create a comprehensive FAQ-type deal on building your own pad. For instance, Frosty's thread (stickied on a trial basis) about pad lighting is an immense help to such an effort. Plans still materializing; watch this space for updates.

-D

Last edited by Discoman on Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message
SilasX
Contributor
Contributor

1. PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to make a comment. Despite being new, it looks like I found the right place to file the information I wanted to offer about a way to keep Ignition pads together during doubles: the Red Octane 3.0 thread.

However, this made me think: that information is relevant to many other kinds of (semi) soft pads, and may be relevant to someone deciding which kind of pad to buy.

So, if information is relevant to many categories like that, should I post it in all relevant ones, or is there already a thread that handles such situations?

Or was my last post in the wrong place?
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

2. PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question.

I would say that it would be most appropriate in either the DIY thread or the RO thread.
View users profile Send private message
Discoman
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

3. PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GENERAL MESSAGE:

If you don't want Dracula up your ass, then follow these rules.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: