Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

What stops the bots?

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Site Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joel Stud?!
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: What stops the bots? Reply with quote

I've never really noticed any bots on ddr freak, and I've been having problems with these on a forum I run and on a forum I moderate. I've tried a large number of the phpBB modifications and add-ons, but I haven't found a solution that actually works for more than a few days. Is there some big secret I'm missing? What secrets does DDRFreak have that could help me out here.

I know this isn't exactly what this forum is for, but I figured if there was a place to ask, it was here.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Phrekwenci
Administrator
Administrator

1. PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a security question upon registration.
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

2. PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best spam protection is the kind that no one else uses.

Spambots flourish because forums are otherwise exactly the same.

Yes, our highly technical, terribly efficient, awesomely secure challenge question, is some of the best spam protection around.

Amusing Pictures: lolddrfreak | Road of LoQ
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website Xbox Live Gamertag
Zonic
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean that "What Does DDR Stand For?" question?? E15.gif
View users profile Send private message
VxJasonxV
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

4. PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about.

View users profile Send private message Visit posters website Xbox Live Gamertag
Agent
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there's always the bots.txt, but it also prevents bots employed by Google from searching the site and Internet Archive from archiving.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MeltyKiss
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

6. PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God.

If that answer offends you, then Ninjas.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag MSN Messenger
Edible Bondage Tape
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agent 24 wrote:
Well, there's always the bots.txt, but it also prevents bots employed by Google from searching the site and Internet Archive from archiving.

robots.txt only stops legitimate web spiders the kind that go around making spam accounts woudlnt honor it anyway
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

8. PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robots.txt only applies to archive-bots, and it's in no way the end all be all. Especially for spambots of all things...

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Site Feedback All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: