Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

concept: StepStream

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Other Bemani and Music Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roothorick
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: concept: StepStream Reply with quote

I'm crossposting this everywhere in the hopes I reach a lot of people. If this is in the wrong forum, sorry, it's been a long time since I've been an active member in many of the communities in which I'm posting this.

If you just want to read the concept, skip down to the bold line below. I'm giving as much background as I can remember here, and there's probably a lot of people that don't care to read it.

Hello everyone. I've been sitting on this idea for an arcade dance game for a while, hoping I could make something of it. I had a revelation today. That revelation is, my greatest ambition is to open a gaming center. I'm not going to make a whole frickin dance game and bring it in front of the public audience. However, there's people in the community who can. And if I can, by myself, get this concept out to as many people as possible, then there's a good chance that somebody, somewhere will step up to the plate.

Without further adieu...

Around sometime last year or possibly earlier, I had a game concept in my head. A few might remember the whole E2L and StepStream thing from a long time ago; if someone remembers a more accurate account of the time I had that going, do tell. Well, long story short, I neglected E2L in favor of taking care of my schoolwork, and StepStream fell by the wayside. But I didn't forget about it. It was in my head as I idly walked to work each summer. I've been boredly playing with the idea, evolving it, and over the months, it has evolved into something very different. Something big. Something innovative. And it could have far-reaching implications.

ADD people, start reading here.

What if artists could upload their music into a central database? It's been done, examples like the old MP3.COM, SoundClick, Section Z, IUMA, need I go on? But what if then graphic artists could create music videos to go to those songs? And yet other simfile artists create stepcharts and put that into the datbase as well? And then it all gets funnelled down to arcade machines across the world; each month/week/day brings a whole new set of songs for the masses to play. And it's all done legally, no copyright infringement whatsoever. With only some simple auditing, it can be done.

My original concept called for a 7-panel platform accomodating a single player using all seven panels in a sort of DDR-doubles-minus-one-center-panel configuration. It then went on to have a "modular" cabinet design with a base cabinet and "kits" to add up to 3 more players for a total of four players on one machine. But it's not important. A true, real community dance game, that's the magic here. It can be a traditional 4-panel or 5-panel design or some exotic NeonFM craziness. All that matters is where the songfiles come from, and how they are made.

Given, I can't do much to realize this, but as such I'm not asking for any compensation; if I did, I wouldn't boast about it in public without at least going for a patent first. I'm just throwing it out there in the hopes that someone, somewhere, with the kind of connections needed to put an arcade game on the market, will take my idea and run with it.

To those who have heard me talk about StepStream, this is probably a big disappointment. What can I say besides, I'm sorry, I can't see this kind of project through, I just don't have the resources.

If you'd like to discuss this, I'm in AIM, my username is "roothorick" just like everywhere. Feel free to PM me out of the blue, just as long as you give me some idea of who you are, and mention StepStream so I know what you're contacting me about.
View users profile Send private message
0rion
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, all I'm hearing is "Bemanistyle."
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
Lobster Jesus
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir 0rion {DMC} wrote:
Sorry, all I'm hearing is "Bemanistyle."

And that's supposed to mean what? That because he's advertising the concept of a possible dancing game at a few popular music game sites that it should be ignored?

It's not like it's a member who joined out of the blue and made one post and has no recognition in music game communities is advertising this. It's also not in an abusive/spamming way and it's in the right forum, it doesn't have a right to be ignored like that.
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's ignoring it? As a matter of fact, I'm posting a direct acknowledgement of what he's saying.

What I'm saying is this:

Stepmania is already an open-source dancing game simulator.

People can upload their own music, AND steps, AND background videos on Bemanistyle.

I'm saying the concept doesn't sound 100% original to me. It's a reasonable, sound criticism for me to make. I didn't say "LOL ur stoopid" or "Nuh-uh." I said that this is a markedly similar concept to things that are already available. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But tell me how I'm wrong. Don't get all uppity because I didn't instantly think this was the greatest idea since sliced bread.
roothorick
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir 0rion {DMC} wrote:
Who's ignoring it? As a matter of fact, I'm posting a direct acknowledgement of what he's saying.

What I'm saying is this:

Stepmania is already an open-source dancing game simulator.

People can upload their own music, AND steps, AND background videos on Bemanistyle.

I'm saying the concept doesn't sound 100% original to me. It's a reasonable, sound criticism for me to make. I didn't say "LOL ur stoopid" or "Nuh-uh." I said that this is a markedly similar concept to things that are already available. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But tell me how I'm wrong. Don't get all uppity because I didn't instantly think this was the greatest idea since sliced bread.

You're still missing:

• An auditing system to make sure those songs really are legal to use, and
  • The machines themselves.

Obviously you couldn't have every song on every machine, so there would be a voting process to decide which songs are on the machine "standard distribution". People could still use any song out of the database by putting the song on their USB key (with appropriate certificates of approval) and taking them to the arcade.
View users profile Send private message
0rion
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roothorick wrote:
You're still missing:
An auditing system to make sure those songs really are legal to use,

Um... what? How exactly does that work? That sounds suspiciously similar to the old "Roms are legal if you delete them within 24 hours" argument.

Quote:
and The machines themselves.

There are a number of Stepmania arcade machines floating around.

Don't get me wrong. If you really, really think this is a good idea, go with it. I'm not trying to stop you from doing anything that you want. I'm just telling you these things in hopes that you'll take a more careful look at what you think you're doing.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Other Bemani and Music Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: