Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

GUIDE: The Correct Way to Light Your Homepad
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LightningXCE
Trick Member
Trick Member

20. PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much love.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v370/-Lightning/ITG%20Platform/Neon/

And for those too lazy to click, here's a preview;

My camera sucks at taking dark pictures, but it looks absolutely amazing with the arrow overlays on. (It's lolbright like the first 4) They'll be switch activated so when you step on em they light, but I just had them all wired in to see it glow.

You can see my circuit on the floor in one of the third pictures next to my laptop.
Edible Bondage Tape
Trick Member
Trick Member

21. PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh im stupid i forgot in my make it yourself transformer /rectifyer to include transient suppresion so shove a MOV on the primrary of the transformer
Trick Member
Trick Member

22. PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow lightning that looks amazing!! I love your decals. I wasn't able to find any good looking ITG decals and photographing the ones at my local arcade didn't really look good E10.gif. So cudos to that!

I'm glad my design worked out for you. I'm really curious what you used for your lights. Like your decals and your sensors, they look almost scarily like real arcade parts.
Trick Member
Trick Member

23. PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet, i was actually planning on using those (im guessing) 5" cathode pc lights as well in my pad once i get the rest of my stuff done E1.gif

where/how much were they?

im only seeing ONE for $10.99 at fry's, and thats way too much for me, at least now

anyway, did you hook it up to turn on with you hit a step?
im interested in doing to that for my *arcade* set up im building

oh ya, do you think 1 light per arrow would give enough light?
Trick Member
Trick Member

24. PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lighting on my SM machine's gonna be insane. I finished my first complete scematic for it in math class today. (screw triangles on circles with angles; that's old hat)
Power Surge
Basic Member
Basic Member

25. PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently finished building a Riptide pad and I've been considering adding lights to it, so I have some questions to ask.

First of all, about the diodes. What's the difference between the diodes in the 1N400# series? How many milliamps can each type handle? (voltage isn't a concern because I'll be using 12V at most) Also, is it okay to use different diodes within the same circuit for each arrow, provided they're all from the 1N400# series?

As for the lights, I plan to use LEDs. How much power does each LED consume/handle? And how many would I need to make the brightness comparable to the ones found at arcades?

Thanks in advance.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
slvrshdw
Trick Member
Trick Member

26. PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im pretty sure LEDs arent the way to go..
im not all that into the electronics part of it, but ive messed around with the idea

anyway, first i think youd need at least 4-8 LEDs per arrow; plus they would need to be the ultrabright ones

anyway, some one in the forums (i think) made one with LEDs, but im not sure..

i think that the cathode tube (what lightningXCE used) is the best route to take...especially since thats the kind that are in arcades
and thats what i plan on doing too
Basic Member
Basic Member

27. PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Specs for those cathode tube lights would be nice then, if that's the kind used in the arcade machines. length, voltage, power consumption, where I can buy them, etc.

EDIT: I see that the reason I shouldn't use LEDs is because of price. A single LED costs $2, so if I were to use, say, 20 per arrow, it would end up costing me more than the pad itself. If I use 4 per arrow, it would cost $32, but then they'd be too dim. This is more reason for me to get the cathode tube lights that LightningXCE is using for his pad. Again, I ask for some info: dimensions, input voltage, power consumption, availability, etc.

EDIT2: Would something like this suit my needs?

http://www.directron.com/4inlightred.html

There's a kit for blue and green lights as well, at the same price. The total I need would cost about $32 before shipping. Doesn't sound like a bad deal.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
slvrshdw
Trick Member
Trick Member

28. PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, i may end up getting it there!

thats pretty cheap.

as for retail stores, ive only seen them at fry's electronics (outpost.com), and recently compUSA. the only problem is that fry's they didnt have enough for me, AND they were about 13 each...then at compUSA they only had the longer tubes, and 13 each tube also

anyway, i think they are 12 volts, other than that im not sure
Trick Member
Trick Member

29. PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long time lurker, first time poster, wooo.

Getting back to LEDs, you can buy them in bulk online for a lot cheaper than $2 each. They're all over ebay, also at a place called (I think) LSDiodes. I have some 5mm 1200 mcd "diffused" LEDS on order, it was like 10 bux (w/ S+H) for like 25 of em. I also ordered a 50-lot (smallest there was) of chrome holders for like 10 bux from ebay. Not sure how they'll work out, have to play around with them once I get them in ....

KO
View users profile Send private message Send email
LightningXCE
Trick Member
Trick Member

30. PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the delay in the reply, having major computer issues;

I use 2 4" neons per arrow, but I managed to get them insanely cheap :O

www.svc.com

or more specifically

http://svc.com/logisys-kit.html

I ordered dual Red and "Superbright Blue" kits, they run on 12v each.

I'm pretty much using this for a Stepmania machine/cab, so I have a port in front of the case for 12 from the PC, it's quite nice.

However, if you are running these off of a transformer, make sure you get one that has a high amperage. Lower amperage will not power them fully.
daikenkai =[
Trick Member
Trick Member

31. PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Ill go and see if i can get them!

In the topic of jumps...
How would I do that. What I am thinking of right now is to try to get a resister to make it so that each arrow is allowed to get, say, 12 volts worth, and the total power given would be like 24 volts. Id like to know how it would react to single hands and double hands tho...
View users profile Send private message Xbox Live Gamertag MSN Messenger
daikenkai =[
Trick Member
Trick Member

32. PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EERG! Id have to make the arrow well 1 inch deeper to add thoses.... crap!

oh well, ill need tot hink of something. Arent those DC bulbs cheaper tho? although less spectacular.

EDIT:
Oh wow, theve got some nice prices on (not sold out) ones!
http://www.xoxide.com/lazerled.html
daikenkai =[
Trick Member
Trick Member

33. PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOLY CRAP!
I just realized.. I have one of those LED lights hanging on my wall
>:o OH NOES!
I can pick up 4 of them (dollar tree... hehe) and just rewire it so it matches his circuitry! NICE!
Ghettobarney
Trick Member
Trick Member

34. PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit button dude. Crap, I had to redo my pad but the design no longer allows for lights. frown.gif

-oja

OMG I BEETS MACKS 300!
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website
ChilliumBromide
Trick Member
Trick Member

35. PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my problem of finding a device to cool the air directly behind the cooling fans on my SM machine is solved!

Great site. E1.gif
LightningXCE
Trick Member
Trick Member

36. PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're using Riptide's original design, there is no need to make the arrow wells any deeper than they currently are. That's how mine is =D
daikenkai =[
Trick Member
Trick Member

37. PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nvm, i got it figured and done!

Woow! I feel special! The lighting works, the only problem is currently for testing ive been using wod and foam, i need some acrylic!

I have a question..
I got like 1 DC 6v bulb, how much power can it take. Ive been able to hook up 9 volts, but I dare to put more.

BTW, ill be replacing OR adding on to the lights. Its so bright but not too bright.
Eradicator
Basic Member
Basic Member

38. PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Number of diodes? Reply with quote

What am I missing with the circuit diagram in the original message? It looks like you're using twice as many diodes as necessary - I can't figure out what you're trying to do with the two diodes between the negative side of each switch and ground.

You can get away with two diodes per arrow by moving the lamp to the positive side of the circuit. See the topic at http://www.ransai.com/archives/forum3/viewtopic.php?t=46 regarding lighted buttons for a Pop'n controller, but same idea.
View users profile Send private message
daikenkai =[
Trick Member
Trick Member

39. PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think that much is absolutely nessesary.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: