Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Rez?

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Other Bemani and Music Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sweet Potato
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Rez? Reply with quote

I have heard this game is really expensive buy. I even heard people buy it off of ebay for over $100! Well I'm not sure if this is a common thing but I just bought the game of of Play-Asia for $14.

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-r-49-en-15-rez-70-4iw.html

Anyone know anything about this game? I just bought it because I have heard it is amazing and there is nothing like it. I couldn't resist the price. Also I wasn't sure if this belongs in the Music Game category or the Other Game category seeing how the game is a shooter but with lots of music qualities.
View users profile Send private message Xbox Live Gamertag
psycho442
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I bought it on Amazon new for 40 bucks just yesterday. I hope I'm not getting screwed over.
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it got an unmarked reprint not too long ago (ie it dosnt say greatest hits or the best or anything like that) much like some of atluses RPGs (persona 2 and rapsody) the only way to tell the difference is that their is a small embelem that was missing on the new games due to a differnce in who owned what company when
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rez isn't really a music game. It's a starfox-style shooter. The only parallel with music games is that when you kill enemies, they make a sound. Blocks of enemies make a chain of sounds that fit the background music. There's no rhythm involved, and you don't have to make any kind of patterns.
When I bought it, I was expecting something like Frequency and Amplitude, but I was a bit disappointed. There's next to no replay value, and the levels themselves are pretty but fairly dull.
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
Agent J
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pop'n Usagi! wrote:
Rez isn't really a music game. It's a starfox-style shooter. The only parallel with music games is that when you kill enemies, they make a sound. Blocks of enemies make a chain of sounds that fit the background music. There's no rhythm involved, and you don't have to make any kind of patterns.
When I bought it, I was expecting something like Frequency and Amplitude, but I was a bit disappointed. There's next to no replay value, and the levels themselves are pretty but fairly dull.

Dude, the reason you didn't enjoy it was because you didn't have the Trance Vibrator! laugh.gif In all seriousness though, for those too lazy to click the link, that is what it's called. It's a USB peripheral that works with Rez (and also Space Channel 5 2, from what I've heard) and it pulses very strongly in time with the beat of the Rez's music.

Strange accessories aside, I've played a demo of Rez, and while I enjoyed it, it's a game with pretty limited appeal. Also, as I understand it the experience is VERY short lived. There's only 5 stages and I think they all last 10-20 minutes, so you can beat the game in an hour or 2. Would I buy the full game? I dunno. It's a lot of fun (though probably horrible for my eyes) to play Rez with all the lights off and the sound turned way up but I have a feeling the game's trippy novelty would wear off pretty quickly. =\ The soundtrack is pretty cool, though.
View users profile Send private message
Edbot
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never quite understood the point of that game. Maybe it was some sort of experiment.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Sweet Potato
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping that it is good when I get it. And if it is not all the I hoped for, oh well it was only $14 including shipping.
shurf
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this for DreamCast. Its okay. I mean its cool how the shooting beats go with the music but it didn't really live up to all the hype IMO. But seriously, to get the most out of this game you NEED to crank up the volume on your tv. It just makes the gameplay more immersive.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
antimony
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason for the price differences is usually the JP versus US copy. It went greatest-hits in Japan, and thus became very cheap. It only had a limited run in the US, and became scarce. Recent US reprints have been bringing the US price down to something sane, but the japanese version is still much cheaper. I have it -- it's fun, and definitely worth the $15 I paid for it, but it wouldn't have been worth scouring eBay.
View users profile Send private message
Flazh
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole point of this game is as follows:

1:Put on largest screen possible.
2:Turn your amp up to 11
3:Turn off every light
4:Play without any break for anything
5:Profit!

Actually, even though I hate to say it, it is the perfect stoners game. I'm not into all that myself, but if I were, I would play this game to death E1.gif Actually, I do break it out from time to time anyway!
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super Katamario wrote:

Strange accessories aside, I've played a demo of Rez, and while I enjoyed it, it's a game with pretty limited appeal. Also, as I understand it the experience is VERY short lived. There's only 5 stages and I think they all last 10-20 minutes, so you can beat the game in an hour or 2. Would I buy the full game? I dunno. It's a lot of fun (though probably horrible for my eyes) to play Rez with all the lights off and the sound turned way up but I have a feeling the game's trippy novelty would wear off pretty quickly. =\ The soundtrack is pretty cool, though.

The dualshock vibrates just like the trance vibrator anyway. Unless there are unlocks for getting 100% there are only 3 levels that last about 5 minutes unless you're deliberately taking your time, and it's not that much fun with the lights off and the sound up, because half of the level you've just got a drumbeat and a bassline, you only get decent music in the last couple of sections. I must sound pretty cynical, but that's my experience of the game. It's fun the first time you play.

It's difficult to concentrate on stoned, so I stuck to IIDX E10.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
Edible Bondage Tape
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pop'n Usagi! wrote:
Super Katamario wrote:

The dualshock vibrates just like the trance vibrator anyway. Unless there are unlocks for getting 100% there are only 3 levels that last about 5 minutes unless you're deliberately taking your time, and it's not that much fun with the lights off and the sound up, because half of the level you've just got a drumbeat and a bassline, you only get decent music in the last couple of sections. I must sound pretty cynical, but that's my experience of the game. It's fun the first time you play.

It's difficult to concentrate on stoned, so I stuck to IIDX :P

five levels not 3 and it says so on the box and in the book
Staff Member
Staff Member

12. PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EBT Goddess of Jesus wrote:
five levels not 3 and it says so on the box and in the book
Actually, I think there were only 4 in the Dreamcast version, and so it's possible the 4th may have been unlockable in that. I'll have to check a FAQ.

Edit: Nope, according to the one FAQ on GameFAQs, they should be identical. 4 stages open at first (though you have to complete #1 to go to #2, etc), and you open #5 when you get 100% analysis on the four stages.

The fifth stage is a good bit longer - I'd say maybe three times the length of the others.

Sentient Mode is capable...
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
Sweet Potato
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well luckily I have a huge TV, amp and lots of time on my hands. No drugs though erm.gif

I should get the game in the next few days. I'll share my opinion on the gameplay once I receive it.
Zemata
Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 levels
1 secret level
1 lost section
1 trancemission

7 levels, guys
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
Sweet Potato
Trick Member
Trick Member

15. PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome bump.

I still haven't played the game actually.
shurf
Trick Member
Trick Member

16. PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikl wrote:

I still haven't played the game actually.

Umm.... Why?
Sweet Potato
Trick Member
Trick Member

17. PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really know.
BX^3
Trick Member
Trick Member

18. PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikl wrote:
I don't really know.

I have that problem sometimes. Its one of those games that you want to play but your really dont want to. erm.gif or dont have time to.
Laundry
Trick Member
Trick Member

19. PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. I played the first stage of it and died on the boss. It's pretty interesting, but not something I could get into.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Other Bemani and Music Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: