Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Acclaim hops on the dance game train
Goto page Previous  1, 2  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Other Bemani and Music Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lobster Jesus
Trick Member
Trick Member

20. PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm...isn't this what O2Jam/DJMAX is?

Or better yet...Super Dancer Online? Which stole the DDR gameplay style, labeled their game client in the taskbar as "DDROnline", and even STOLE DDR songs (Paranoia is one of them). Link to that game is http://sdo.com.my/

IIRC, you can get married in that game.

This Dance! game sounds virtually identical to Super Dancer Online, but i'll give it credit for being the first non-asian (even if it's international like Malaysian ones) MMORG, and for (probably) not pirating songs like SDO.
Trick Member
Trick Member

21. PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really looking forward to this.But I do have some questions.

1.Didnt acclaim go out of bussiness?

2.Is this going to be something on a website like runescape or is it something that will be bought in stores?

3.Will High Speed internet be necessary to play it?

4.What the heck is so great about getting married?

And as for the game milk chan referred too,I had never even heard of that game until you mentioned it,so maybe its not that popular anyway?
Trick Member
Trick Member

22. PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vro wrote:
And as for the game milk chan referred too,I had never even heard of that game until you mentioned it,so maybe its not that popular anyway?

SDO isn't that popular amogst anyone but local asian countries because everyone else thinks it sucks (and it does). But for O2Jam/DJMAX, O2Jam is popular enough to warrant a world championship and DJMAX is popular enough to have a Korean PSP version, which is actually going to have an International PSP version coming soon.
Trick Member
Trick Member

23. PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord GS-41 wrote:
WTF?!?!?!

Unlike other MMOs, those are all things one can ACTUALLY do in real life...

Yeah, just this morning, I served a wack crew. What would I need this game for?
View users profile Send private message Send email
Reenee
Trick Member
Trick Member

24. PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milk Chan wrote:
http://sdo.com.my/

Is there a reason it looks like "sodomy" or "sodomist communist"?
View users profile Send private message
jpoppyz
Trick Member
Trick Member

25. PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDO really isnt much of an MMO game but rather a DDR-ripoff you play online with some slight MMO elements.

This seems like its gonna be a bit more high-budget and made for US than SDO. I'm interested, but the songlist concerns me. Since i'm getting a new vista computer early next year, i'll probably buy this game(a free MMO game that involves gameplay i love...WIN-WIN!!).

And there have been worse ideas. Look at auto-assault and planetside...those where worse AND they costed monthly fees.

anyhow, i checked wikipedia and apparantly, acclaim is now simply a brand owned by activision that will make a lot of online games.

Quote:
In August 2005, former Activision executive Howard Marks purchased the name "Acclaim" for a reported $100,000. In the beginning of 2006, Marks formed a new company called Acclaim Games. According to a job listing for the company, Acclaim Games will "be the first US major brand to bring some of the most successful online games in the world, specifically designed to meet the community and multiplayer experience that the 36 million U.S. tweens and the 41 million European tweens want.

hope that clears things up.
Contributor
Contributor

26. PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He could have given me $100 000 and I would have come up with something for him that DIDN'T stink of failure.
~Uiru

"I just think everytime [Uiru] touches a keyboard, something epic comes out." ~Ω
View users profile Send private message Send email
trob xD
Trick Member
Trick Member

27. PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm..I think I see where they're coming from with this...It's actually a rather good idea (or at least what I thought up is a good idea, maybe I shuld be in charge of this game). They're trying to take the feel of the arcade community (such as weekly trips to the DDR machine with the same bunch of kids) and the online DDR community (like DDRfreak), and combine them together.

This has some potential. You could walk around in a virtual community (maybe even control it on your dance mat E13.gif ) There could be areas set up where you can buy things (mods, songs, noteskins, etc.) and other areas, or maybe even custom made Dance! Cabinets located all over the world where you can play songs, either alone, or if someone was in your party, you could do VS. You could talk to people, make freinds and I guess even get married (WTF? E4.gif ) Maybe they could do something, like if you walked up to a guy playing, you could see his screen, sort of like a PiP (Picture in Picture)

Your scores could save up from song to song, and you spend your points on unlockable things to make the game better. And of course, there would be a highscore list, where everyone can look at how they rank, and how all thier friends look compared to them or whatever.

This could be pretty cool if they did it right. It will definately help out the people that don't get to go to an arcade very often get more into the dancing games.
Fallingwalls
Trick Member
Trick Member

28. PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trob xD wrote:
Hm..I think I see where they're coming from with this...It's actually a rather good idea (or at least what I thought up is a good idea, maybe I shuld be in charge of this game). They're trying to take the feel of the arcade community (such as weekly trips to the DDR machine with the same bunch of kids) and the online DDR community (like DDRfreak), and combine them together.

I think your on the right track, but rather I believe they saw the success of DDR/ITG/PIU and MMOs like WoW and tried to combine the two to create an inevitably retarded game.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
orb
Trick Member
Trick Member

29. PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so do you use a dance pad or what? E19.gif
giuocob the night poster
Trick Member
Trick Member

Location: Based on my last known trajectory, somewhere over southeastern Tibet
30. PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone remember Evergroove? Looks like it's actually going to happen.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
LET ME SHOW YOU THEM
Vivid Member
Vivid Member

31. PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want epics or no deal.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sinborn
Trick Member
Trick Member

32. PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind playing something like that in my spare time. Hopefully the project will go somewhere.
Turbosauce
Basic Member
Basic Member

33. PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orb wrote:
so do you use a dance pad or what? E19.gif

There will be 2 servers. One for keyboards and one for pads, just like in SDO.
Lobster Jesus
Trick Member
Trick Member

34. PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little late, but looks like I was right...

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/column_index.php?story=8381

Quote:
9You, Acclaim Partner For North American Market

Few E3 attendees noticed Shanghai based online gaming company 9you at the 2006 E3. 9you’s booth was in the very back of Kentia Hall and the dancer it hired for its booth hardly danced. U.S. game company Acclaim noticed. Over the weekend, 9you announced that Acclaim has its in-house developed online music games Super Dancer Online and Burst A Fever for the North American market. 9you is the leader in online music games in China, but its dominance mainly depends on licensed games O2Jam and Audition, both developed by Korea’s O2Media.

Having a partner internally develop new products based on licensed products is not a surprise for any company that has done business in China or any developing nation. However, O2Media was not amused by 9you’s new games, and there were rumors earlier in the year that O2Media was planning a lawsuit. Super Dancer Online, Burst A Fever, and O2Media’s two game can best be described as Dance Dance Revolution (DDR) on the keyboard.

While Burst a fever is an entirely different game (O2Jam with audition style interface), Dance! is SDO for North America.

While, not being a complete port, it's basically the same engine and design minus song differences and a few avatar differences.

Lol...it's like a spiced up SMO.
Basic Member
Basic Member

35. PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ever saw a place for it..
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Other Bemani and Music Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: