Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

My metal pad design with fold-away control panel

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crowquill
Basic Member
Basic Member

0. PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: My metal pad design with fold-away control panel Reply with quote

I'm starting on a pad similar to Riptide's design, but I'm making a few changes. Most changes are due to cost. How much am I going to regret using fender washers instead of corner brackets?

http://www.UploadYourImages.com/view/877887sensor-diagram.gif

The other thing I really wanted was to use my hands to get though menus. So I've designed a fold-away control panel (similar to the TerTerBox) that will mount on the front of the platform in front of the top-left square. It's going to use arcade buttons left over from my MAME cabinet. It'll fold down for storage.

Here's a drawing of what it's like:

http://www.UploadYourImages.com/view/495865ddr_cpanel.ai.gif

I'll be using the solderless hack for a PS1 Dual Shock for the electronics.
View users profile Send private message
ChilliumBromide
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem: won't the selection panel wobble like crazy?
Marq(uistadorous)
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DancingTofu wrote:

Yeah. I think that'll really annoy you when your danceing on your pad. You need to find away to have the control box NOT directly connected to the front of your pad like that. trust me E13.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marquistadorous wrote:
DancingTofu wrote:

Yeah. I think that'll really annoy you when your danceing on your pad. You need to find away to have the control box NOT directly connected to the front of your pad like that. trust me E13.gif

Tripod.
Crowquill
Basic Member
Basic Member

4. PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's probably a really good point.

Are we more concerned with the movement of the whole pad (and the connected box), or just the movement of the pipe and box? Making the pipe-frame rigid shouldn't be that big of a problem, and there will be thumbscrews securing it to the base below the hinges, so I don't see that the frame will wobble that much unless the whole pad is moving. The plastic box on top of the frame will have a locking pin to keep it stable in relation to the frame.

It'll be kind of like the stunt bar, but probably only 1" metal pipe.
ChilliumBromide
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crowquill wrote:
That's probably a really good point.

Are we more concerned with the movement of the whole pad (and the connected box), or just the movement of the pipe and box? Making the pipe-frame rigid shouldn't be that big of a problem, and there will be thumbscrews securing it to the base below the hinges, so I don't see that the frame will wobble that much unless the whole pad is moving. The plastic box on top of the frame will have a locking pin to keep it stable in relation to the frame.

It'll be kind of like the stunt bar, but probably only 1" metal pipe.
I just have bad memories of wobbly bars while playing PIU. *shudder*
slvrshdw
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do NOT i repeat do NOT attach it directly to the pad, it wobbles like crazy and doesnt work too well...(ive tried already)

make a separate stand..like that tripod idea, or just build it into where the tv is, which is really cool E7.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slvrshdw wrote:
do NOT i repeat do NOT attach it directly to the pad, it wobbles like crazy and doesnt work too well...(ive tried already)

make a separate stand..like that tripod idea, or just build it into where the tv is, which is really cool E7.gif
Did you like my 2-minute diagram? biggrin.gif
Crowquill
Basic Member
Basic Member

8. PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a lovely diagram. It helps reinforce that I've wasted WAY TOO MUCH TIME in Illustrator planning this thing out and making diagrams when I could be BUILDING the pad itself.

I just want to be able to reach the control panel without having to get off the pad. Maybe I'll test the tripod idea. First I have to get the main pad built. Hopefully I'll get it finished up the first of next week.

BTW, after some experimentation, here are the arrow graphics I finally decided on. Simple but effective.

Crowquill
Basic Member
Basic Member

9. PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops. Double-posted.

Last edited by Crowquill on Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total
The Wise Fool
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are nice graphics, did you make them?
Crowquill
Basic Member
Basic Member

11. PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. I figured once I get done I'm going to upload PDFs of these and the "rejected" designs. I roughed out probably 7 different arrow designs.

At one point, since I wasn't worried about making an arcade-perfect pad, I was going to use vinyl flooring for the stationary panels. They would have been black with a white diamond on each. That would have given a grid of 9 diamonds on a black background. I finally gave in and bought the sheet metal, but kept the diamond design. Here's a picture as I was trying to visualize it:

See. I told you guys I spent way too much time planning it out in Illustrator.
ChilliumBromide
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you mention that.
Took me all of 2 hours to do all of these:

((On the last one, I'm going to use the paintjob that gives you a Purple with blue reflection-stuff for the metal parts, so that's what the funny purple and blue stripes are all about. E13.gif ))

Anyway, do you think they're amazingly trippy enough for a guy like me?
Crowquill
Basic Member
Basic Member

13. PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lookin' good. I like that they're more natural and free-flowing than the geometric arrows you usually see. They kind of remind me of manta rays. Not that that's a bad thing at all. Is the pink one for the X button?

Is there a place on the DDR Freak boards to discuss arrows and artwork?

Here's some of the designs I'd started working on. I was trying to keep them simple. The 3 rows of bars ended looking a bit too military. The card suits could work, but the UUDDLRLR Konami thing is a lost cause. I tried to make a girly-looking one too, but it just came out looking religeous.

Meanwhile, I actually got the frame finished.

Griffon12
Basic Member
Basic Member

14. PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frame looks good not sure if there is anywhere that people post their decal ideas let me know if you find anywhere
ChilliumBromide
Trick Member
Trick Member

15. PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my sister doing more detailed shading and whatnot now for $5 (total), so they should come out pretty good.
The pink one's for if I decide to get busy and make a PIU platform too.
If my DDR doubles platform turns out alright (by alright I mean perfect), I'll build a second one, sell it for $800, then use the money from that to get the materials for a Pump doubles platform and a Solo platform.
I'll use excess to save up for a KBM machine.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: