Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Homebrew not-so-ghetto pad

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ceraf
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Homebrew not-so-ghetto pad Reply with quote

after my previous pad (http://www.ddrfreak.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=117452), i decided to take on something that looks better and feels more like the arcade. I stumbled on a few metal pad designs, one of which was Riptide's. I took some ideas and cut a few corners to come up with this:

underside of the hardboard panels. used some steel from an old computer case

a little close-up of a switch

And the semi-finished product....panels aren't secured yet.

So far, i still need to work on the sensitivity by adjusting the screws. i'm also feeling the slight lag from using a USB controller, but i'd like this to work on a laptop with only usb ports.

comments and suggestions welcome...especially suggestions on adjusting the sensitivity.

EDIT: Replaced the hardboard panels with plywood panels, and secured the metal plates with screws. I also changed the wiring a bit so that it'll register if the metal plate touches any of the four screws.

I don't have any pics right now, but the buttons are now sticking out above the stationary panels by a bit. Sensitivity is much better, but i still need to get used to applying a little more force with each step. I blame it all on my first ultra-sensitive ghetto pad for making me develop bad habits =)

I must add that the metal is rusting a little. Guess it's time for some sandpaper and Bitron lubricant i have lying around. pretty good stuff. http://www.bitronglobal.com/penetratinglubricant.html

Last edited by ceraf on Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message
ceraf
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, after some light playing....the pad is downright terrible. i gotta do something about the wiring design and the panels.

and of course, the usb laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag... X(

it's so sad how my ghetto pad is performing much better.
cph05a
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this will work all the time, but it's an idea...
I tried hooking up my pad to the computer for stepmania and I had both a huge lag and a problem with the buffer. I found an old computer joystick that didn't lag when I pressed the buttons on it and wired it to my pad. It was no different than wireing a pad to a ps2 and it solved my problem.
ceraf
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

updated! now a better pad...but now i'm in university and i don't have time for ddr.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: