Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Dancing Monkeys: Automatically Generate step files for DDR
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR PC and Simulators
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erich666
Trick Member
Trick Member

400. PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy to announce a new, great front-end for Dancing Monkeys v1.02: Gorilla, written by David Flink. Go to:

http://www.monket.net/dancing-monkeys/home-page

to download it. It includes output directly to the proper StepMania directory, drag and drop input, and many other excellent features. It's also tiny to download, just 40k (though if your machine is pretty "clean", you may need to also download the DLL installer).

As far as v1.02 differing from v1.01, I'll check that out. The only thing changed as far as the algorithms go is that code was added so that songs without the default output length of 105 seconds would have a reasonable step density. In other words, the bug in v1.01 where long songs had very few steps was fixed. Other than that very little was touched.

Note that random numbers are indeed used in Dancing Monkeys, so output can vary from run to run in any version of the program. Run it twice on the same song and you'll likely get fairly different results. I've run v1.02 on about 480 songs and so far they seem pretty much like v1.01, for good or ill. I hope to find some time to dig in and improve some of the problems 1.01 has (e.g. if it doesn't have a strong bass line, Dancing Monkeys won't convert it).

Eric
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Minger
Trick Member
Trick Member

401. PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't work for me - Tried loading a few songs, hit go, and it just started, then the screen disappeared and went back to the first screen.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
erich666
Trick Member
Trick Member

402. PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minger wrote:
Didn't work for me - Tried loading a few songs, hit go, and it just started, then the screen disappeared and went back to the first screen.

Drat, sorry to hear that. Did you try the "full install" version of Gorilla, which installs some DLLs you might be missing? Did you use the new version of Dancing Monkeys, v. 1.02? Also, you might try looking at the dm_log.txt file produced (it'll be in the output directory) and see what it says in there.

If you (or anyone else) still run into problems, please send me a private message and we can debug this together via email.

Thanks,

Eric
danil_d_
Basic Member
Basic Member

403. PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well maby i think it did not work couse i`m using the bacth utility

o i do not know

and what is that o Gorilla (what for ) E2.gif
Basic Member
Basic Member

404. PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok ok Gorilla is cool but what the /$(()(&//( y DWI directory frust.gif erm.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

405. PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danil_d_ wrote:
ok ok Gorilla is cool but what the /$(()(&//( y DWI directory frust.gif erm.gif

You don't need to fill in the DWI directory, it's where your "Dance With Intensity" software is located (which no one uses, AFAIK). See the tutorial at: http://www.monket.net/dancing-monkeys/tutorial to understand Gorilla better. I'll pass your feedback on to David Flink, I can think of ways he can make it clearer that the DWI directory (and StepMania directory, for that matter) is optional.

Question to all: does anyone still use DWI? PM me if you do; I'd like to understand why.

Eric
danil_d_
Basic Member
Basic Member

406. PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laugh.gif right dance with intensity is cool , i already downloaded it and its easy
too use

but theres a problem there is no spanish version anouncer jajajaj
(why i'm saing this? cause im mexican jejeje E7.gif

so i already understood thanks bro and i think the thing bout the song steps of 1.02 I think Gorilla fixed it and its cool the you can make 3 min songs jajaja thanks a lot man

you could talk to the stepmaia page producer and can make a very good arrege cause dancing monkey its a real cool progam

and now with the gorrilla and all the its AMAZING drool.gif

thanks for everything and no more cuestions i think jajaja riiight.gif E4.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

407. PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New version of Dancing Monkeys is now available, it's v1.03. Get it here:

http://www.monket.net/dancing-monkeys/home-page

Why new? Because I somehow futzed the compilation of the v1.02 version, making it much slower (2.5 times slower) than v1.01 - no idea how that could happen. This new version, v1.03, is back to normal (i.e. pretty slow, vs. dead slow). It also includes some minor bugfixes, general cleanup, and uses a bit less memory.

If you have v1.02, you just need to download the v1.03 executable. For newcomers, Gorilla is now packaged with Dancing Monkeys, so it's just one simple download.

Thanks for the feedback, those of you who've written with bugs and suggestions. We're working (well, mostly David Flink is working) to integrate Gorilla better with Dancing Monkeys and improve its interface considerably. That release will probably happen in about two weeks.
Joshua B
Trick Member
Trick Member

408. PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a first-time user (tonight). Nice job with the program and the frontend!

I had to make a slight Offset adjustment but then the steps were great. Interesting that the program creates a totally new set of steps for each Difficulty level.

I noticed that the program compressed and trimmed my MP3 so I set Length to 1000 and Output format to <original>. My mp3 file size is still cut in half. Can I get some help on making sure my music file isn't rewritten?
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jzero
Basic Member
Basic Member

409. PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erich666 wrote:
jzero wrote:
Do you mind sending a picture? riiight.gif I don't know where to type everything at. The tutorial at the website isn't very helpful.

The tutorial at http://www.monket.net/dancing-monkeys/tutorial gives pretty clear step-by-step instructions on how to install and run the program. If you can tell me what step you're getting stuck on, I can make the page clearer.

I can't figure out what you'd want for a screenshot, but maybe the following will help. Instead of telling you to type:

cd "C:\Dancing Monkeys\bin\win32"
DancingMonkeys -l 600 "C:\temp\My Steps\Barney.mp3" 3 5 8

here's a screenshot (though without the '-l 600' in it):

I've added this screenshot to the tutorial.

Thanks. I got it now.

Are you the creator? If you are, that's a very nice program you have there. Keep it up.
View users profile Send private message
danil_d_
Basic Member
Basic Member

410. PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok lets check out 1.03 version
Basic Member
Basic Member

411. PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laugh.gif its cool laugh.gif
Basic Member
Basic Member

412. PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joshua B wrote:
I noticed that the program compressed and trimmed my MP3 so I set Length to 1000 and Output format to <original>. My mp3 file size is still cut in half. Can I get some help on making sure my music file isn't rewritten?

The music file is *always* re-written (DancingMonkeys has worked that way since V1.00, afaik), but the trimming may be due to another issue.

When you set the Length to 1000, are you sure you set it in the correct place?

Gorilla 0.9.4 remembers the settings for each file/directory. Did you have the correct song selected?
Ideally, you should hilight <default> *first* and set the defults you prefer.
Then add any songs/directories to process.
After that, you can happily customise any specific song/directory without effecting any others.
Changing <default> *after* adding songs/directories has no effect.

I am changing this somewhat in v0.9.5, but sadly a HDD crach and Eric Haines being away means there will be no updates untill next week at the soonest.
eaglefan101
Trick Member
Trick Member

413. PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i cant open any of the .rar or the .zip files. they are invalid or corrupt.

Yeah this is the end of my sig. You can stop reading it now.
Gorilla_dude
Basic Member
Basic Member

414. PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

piemaster wrote:

I have validated all of them.
(I used winzip and linux unzip to verify the zip files, and linix rar to varify the rar- I don't have winrar a.t.m)

Check the MD5SUM signatures below.
Code:

f5d0c109cb89b24319792c151576088e Dancing Monkeys 1.0.zip
34ee4a43ee03126744091f6e8c4159a0 Dancing Monkeys 1.01.zip
f3c86bb2016c31090c094e3535a54f44 Dancing Monkeys 1.03.rar
eebe5bc1711e4eaa8a9a2102fb34bfb9 DancingMonkeys 1.03.exe.zip
479f383669f0c11df020c3614778cb7a Gorilla-0.9.4.zip
bdc2c0080debfee62191b47b0ae7540c Gorilla-0.9.4_exe_only.zip

If the MD5 signatures are correct, try a diferent zip/rar package.
erich666
Trick Member
Trick Member

415. PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

piemaster wrote:

I can't reproduce this problem you are having. WinRAR uncompresses the files in the main distribution fine for me, I just tried it again. Let me know if you're still having problems, along with what rar program you're trying, etc.
danil_d_
Basic Member
Basic Member

416. PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:32 am    Post subject: monket page doen not work Reply with quote

monket page does not work why i can dowloas dancing monkeys and gorilla blink.gif
Basic Member
Basic Member

417. PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, i can't get the page to work either, and my version of Dancing Monkey's has started acting funny (it truncates songs that are 5 minutes to some random number)
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
Suburban Knight
Trick Member
Trick Member

418. PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded this program a while ago. Have they:

A. Incorperated BPM Changes
B. Made it do more than just 4th and 8th notes
C. Gotton rid of the annoying stops that don't really fit anywhere?

jw
Trick Member
Trick Member

419. PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The site http://www.monket.net/dancing-monkeys/ is up, guess it must have been down for a bit.

Like the pages say, we've mostly just cleaned up the input and output problems in versions 1.0 and 1.01. Gorilla is a much friendlier front end.

By default it trims the songs to 105 seconds long. If you used the patched 1.01 version, simple set the song duration for the new version to 9999 seconds (option "--length 9999") and it won't trim the length of any song. This can also be set in Gorilla.

To get rid of pauses, just use "-ons" to never generate pauses. Alternately, you could put "-es 1" and if one or more stops would be generated (which often means that the steps file generated has gaps in it anyway), which tells Dancing Monkeys to not generate a step file if it would otherwise make a pause. Again, Gorilla can set this.

Someday we hope to improve the beats per minute algorithm and the steps generation itself. Personally, I find about half my own music doesn't convert at all, and that maybe half the songs that are generated are flawed or boring. It's the one out of 10 or 20 that are good or great that are worthwhile. Easier for me to dance through 9 bad or fair songs in 20 minutes and delete them, than spend a few hours writing my own steps to a single song.

Eric
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR PC and Simulators All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 21 of 23

Jump to: