Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

best way to get a cheap, accurate, usb compatible ddr pad?
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirkq
Basic Member
Basic Member

0. PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: best way to get a cheap, accurate, usb compatible ddr pad? Reply with quote

id like to spend under 50 bucks and get a good soft pad that is usb compatible so i can play it with stepmania and stepmania only for home use on my computer

so is there a good, but cheap soft pad out there that i can buy and maybe do a plywood mount if necessary

and how would i connect it to the computer?....would i have to rewire it myself, or could i just buy a converter

or is there any way i can convert an ignition 2.0 to become usb compatible

i want quality but i dont want to pay a ton (i suck anyway)

any suggestions are appreciated (please include prices)
View users profile Send private message
Daddead324
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that doesn't include shipping.

Go to ebay
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: best way to get a cheap, accurate, usb compatible ddr pa Reply with quote

Kirkq wrote:
id like to spend under 50 bucks and get a good soft pad that is usb compatible so i can play it with stepmania and stepmania only for home use on my computer

so is there a good, but cheap soft pad out there that i can buy and maybe do a plywood mount if necessary

and how would i connect it to the computer?....would i have to rewire it myself, or could i just buy a converter

or is there any way i can convert an ignition 2.0 to become usb compatible

i want quality but i dont want to pay a ton (i suck anyway)

any suggestions are appreciated (please include prices)

You can go with parallel port instead of USB, which (from my experience) is much better in that there is little to no lag with parallel port. USB adapters tend to have a bit of lag between when you press the arrow and when it registers.

You can try the BuyNShop BNS DX-Xtreme ( www.buynshop.com ) and they have a cheap parallel port adapter on the site as well. The pad is under $50 before shipping and the adapter is under $5 (I may be wrong though). However, I'd call them before ordering anything, and ask if they're shipping out DX-Xtreme pads or "DDR GAME" pads -- the DDR GAME pads aren't bad, per se, but it isn't what's mentioned on the site.

Best of luck to ya E1.gif

edit Never mind, they seem to have entirely changed the line up! What are these "DDR Fusion" foam insert pads? E19.gif
-Scorpion-
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,
if you want an easy USB connection without adapters, you could get a xbox pad and solder an USB connector onto it. It's nothing complicated, and it saves you the lag and the money for a converter.

greetz
Scorp
mfillescasabc
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: parallel port adapter Reply with quote

Orb, is this the parallel port adapter you're talking about? http://www.buynshop.com/productinfo/45/VG-PS-PS2PC4/
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
orb
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: parallel port adapter Reply with quote

mfillescasabc wrote:
Orb, is this the parallel port adapter you're talking about? http://www.buynshop.com/productinfo/45/VG-PS-PS2PC4/

Yes, that's the adapter I meant. If you have Windows XP, I suggest you use the "PsxPad" driver ( http://www.psxpad.com/index_e.php ).. install the most stable version. If you get a weird error while installing saying it can't find the parallel port and you gotta specify it manually, leave it on the current option in the drop down menu (leave that alone) and just click next, proceeding with installation.

After installing entirely, plug in your pad, then go to Control Panel > Game Controllers and open up your properties or settings for the game controller (the psxpad). Change the setting from "axis mode" to "button mode," and now each of the arrows will be distinct buttons. Now in StepMania or ITG, you can map each of these buttons in the config options, and you're set. E1.gif

Hope that helped

orb
Kirkq
Basic Member
Basic Member

6. PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: wait....could i just get this and use it with any ps2 ddr pad?....or does the pad itself have to be usb compatible?
http://www.buynshop.com/productinfo/45/VG-PS-PS2PC4/
Da Bar
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get the RO ps2->universal adaptor and an ignition 2.0.

AA Bob wrote:
If you only knew of the prodigious dimensions of my sack, you would realize how foolish you sound.
ceraf
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any ps2 pad. why would it need to be usb compatible? you're not using the usb port.

i also tried the parallel adapter (my own homebrew multitap) on two ignition 2.0's, and they worked. no lag
Kirkq
Basic Member
Basic Member

9. PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah printer port....interesting....my computer doesnt even have a printer so that would work lol

anyone got a link for that adapter?
Da Bar
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirkq wrote:
ah printer port....interesting....my computer doesnt even have a printer so that would work lol

anyone got a link for that adapter?

http://redoctane.com/universaladapter.html

AA Bob wrote:
If you only knew of the prodigious dimensions of my sack, you would realize how foolish you sound.
mfillescasabc
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Doesn't work Reply with quote

The red octane universal adapter did not work for my 2.0 ignition. There's tons of lag. I don't recommend it.
Da Bar
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Doesn't work Reply with quote

mfillescasabc wrote:
The red octane universal adapter did not work for my 2.0 ignition. There's tons of lag. I don't recommend it.

maybe you're doing something wrong, or your pc sucks. i've never had any lag with mine, using an ignition 2.0, 3.0, an afterburner, and a beatmania controller.

AA Bob wrote:
mfillescasabc
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Adapters are crapshoots. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Read the adapter threads. And why were you using the adapter with the 3.0? It has xbox,ps2, and usb cables.
Da Bar
Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

because i had a first run 3.0. the integral usb had connectivity issues back then.

AA Bob wrote:
Kirkq
Basic Member
Basic Member

15. PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to clarify one more time

could i just get this and use it with any ps2 ddr pad?....or does the pad itself have to be usb compatible?

would this work with an ignition 2.0....can i go ahead and make that purchase.....

i really dont know what im dealing with thats why i need help >_>
cph05a
Trick Member
Trick Member

16. PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made my tx-1000 usb compatable by attatching it to an old usb controler I found in the bottom of my closet. All I had to do was open it up and wire it to the 15 pin cable comming out the front of the pad.
Minger
Trick Member
Trick Member

17. PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cph05a wrote:
I made my tx-1000 usb compatable by attatching it to an old usb controler I found in the bottom of my closet. All I had to do was open it up and wire it to the 15 pin cable comming out the front of the pad.

How did you wire it?
ceraf
Trick Member
Trick Member

18. PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirkq wrote:
to clarify one more time

could i just get this and use it with any ps2 ddr pad?....or does the pad itself have to be usb compatible?

would this work with an ignition 2.0....can i go ahead and make that purchase.....

i really dont know what im dealing with thats why i need help >_>

1) yes, that will work with any ps2 ddr pad. (psxpad drivers are great for windows xp)
2) no, since the adapter doesn't have any usb connections, you don't need a usb-compatible pad.
3) yes, it will work with an ignition 2.0. it worked for me.
cph05a
Trick Member
Trick Member

19. PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minger wrote:
cph05a wrote:

How did you wire it?

I took a 15 pin computer cable (make sure it has both a male and female end) and wired the usb controler to it. This way you have something you can plug into your pad easily. Here is a list of which holes mean what on the cable:
R_L_D_U_G
_G_N_X_G_G
G_N_G_0_N

R = right
L = left
D = down
U = up
G = grounded
X = up left
0 = up right
N = nothing

You'll have to figure out which buttons on the controler connect to these. Basicly there will be a grounded wire or port which is a power source for each button and when you connect the grounded wire with another button, the computer will read that that button has been pressed. Just plug a grounded wire into a G spot on each row and you can wire any button on the controler to any button on the pad and set the joystick maping in stepmania.

Last edited by cph05a on Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: