Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

How to switch....

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Other Bemani and Music Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr.12yearold
Trick Member
Trick Member

Location: Maybe Charlotte, Maybe Behind you.. don't look back........
0. PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: How to switch.... Reply with quote

What is the best way for someone who is really good at DDR switch to PIU, I want to get into it because it seems more challenging. Any tips, hints, advice?
NinjaDux
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walk up to a PIU machine... Insert money... Play... repeat.... The same way that you got good at DDR will work for PIU
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be used to the placings in PIU because I'm used to DDR arrow placement. And I barely know how to do the pad control thing, like choosing a song, speed mods, etc, etc.
[Team Kevin] VgameT
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dangit SOAP, don't hold back important information to newbies! It's cruel.
Mr.12yearold the real method to learning Pump is to find a Book of Pump it Up. Monsters have a chance to drop these; the best way to get loot like this is to clear vaults and tension rooms. Failing that, you can always check out the library beyond the rift, assuming you're the right class.
Make sure you have high Concentration, Learning, and Literacy, though. Otherwise the book might just explode and kill you.
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the hell.

First tip is learn the speed modifier code. It helps. A lot.

Second, start with something easy, and go from there. I also wouldn't suggest keeping your feet on the center panel when you're not playing/waiting for loading (although you're probably used to doing that on DDR).
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just find someone nice that plays PIU in your area. and say you wanna learn. and being as how you play ddr, you shouldn't have too much trouble transitioning.

um, playing oon a Zero machine would be ideal, because you can play with better players, but on different difficulties.

every other mix requires both players to play the same difficulty.
Willeous_Mako wrote:
People who are yet to have their balls drop have no opinion.
Then why are you posting?
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Agent J
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm someone who recently started playing PIU after years of DDR myself. This is just my two cents. If you're looking to transfer from DDR to PIU, if you can find a Zero machine in your area, that's a good place to start. The game automatically gives you an explanation of how the interface works when you start. Just a quick thing to note about the interface- on most newer games, you confirm selections by pressing the center panel twice. Exceed 2 isn't bad either, though the interface might be a little less intuitive.

Other than that, once you start playing, start off easy, of course. Like DDR, PIU has multiple difficulties for each song. On single, you have Normal, Hard, and Crazy, and for double you have Freestyle and Nightmare. One thing to note, though: IMHO, PIU's song ratings are kind of sketchy when it comes to actually figuring out how hard it will be. For example, last weekend, I passed Love is a Danger Zone pt. 2 Normal, a 7. Feeling confident after that, I decided to give my first 8 a shot. I tried Beat of the War 2 Hard. This song makes any DDR or ITG 8 look like a piece of cake. The guy I was playing with was around my skill level, and he and I agreed the song was damn hard.

Speed mod codes are usually posted somewhere on the machine. They're part of the cabinet art, actually. On both Exceed 2 and Zero, IIRC the code is Up-Left, Up-Right, Up-Left, Up-Right, Center. Enter the code once for 2X, twice for 3X, etc. You enter them at the song select screen, but be aware that this may change what song you're playing. On Zero and Exceed, the music is broken up into three "channels": Pop, K-Pop, and Banya. Hitting the up-right arrow, I believe, changes the channel that you're on. One last thing- the timing window on PIU is much wider than DDR or ITG. Don't be surprised if you get all perfects or really low SDGs on easier songs once you get used to it. That's all I can think of for now, any other questions, feel free to ask.
View users profile Send private message
Synaesthesia
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super Katamario wrote:
I passed Love is a Danger Zone pt. 2 Normal, a 7. Feeling confident after that, I decided to give my first 8 a shot. I tried Beat of the War 2 Hard.

whoamgz that's exactly what I did. I seem to recall that BotW2 had enough holds to help out my lifebar a lot though.

G_G
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger
Mr.12yearold
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a Zero in the next suburb over and i can now S Will-o-the-wisp but I can't use the speed mods. I press upleft.gif three times but all it does is change my difficulty. And what is IIRC?
NinjaDux
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you would take the time to read the machine it gives you ALL the speed mods and codes to enter in.
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.12yearold wrote:
There is a Zero in the next suburb over and i can now S Will-o-the-wisp but I can't use the speed mods. I press upleft.gif three times but all it does is change my difficulty. And what is IIRC?

IIRC = If I Remember Correctly (or similar)

Pressing 7 (or upleft) 3 times is the OLLLLLLD speed modifier code.

Newer versions is upleft.gif upright.gif upleft.gif upright.gif and then the center panel.
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Baka! I thank you so much and appreciate that you have helped me. Vote Baka of the Orochi for next Mod!
nokhoi
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.12yearold wrote:
Thank you Baka!

Oh if only he knew what he just said. =P

And practice is key. Practice is fun, practice is how you get good at anything. That said, I still suck at Pump. Its a fun game though, after trying it out a few times I understand why pump players like it so much more. I applaud your efforts.

- Nokhoi
View users profile Send private message
Baka of the Orochi
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*edit*
I'm an idiot, I just realized what he meant.

Last edited by Baka of the Orochi on Sun May 14, 2006 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tsuri
Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a starting mix I suggest these :

Premiere 2
PREX2
Zero

Other mixes have one or more problems with them that prevent them from being user friendly... haha but the songlists and steps kick buttocks so other mixes are forgiven except for Premiere 3 and PREX3 biggrin.gif
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
jpoppyz
Trick Member
Trick Member

15. PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coming from someone who recently did the switch, this is what i have to say.

PIU is not user-friendly at all, at least exceed CS. I picked it up because i wanted to try PIU but the only arcade near me with PIU has PREX3(which is pretty much the worst mix ever). I personally still prefer DDR as far as gameplay goes, because i still dont find the PIU layout natural at all. But thats just me. Keep in mind the only mixes ive played are PREX3 and exceed.

I would say try PIU at an arcade(if you have any not PREX3 mix near you) and if you dont have one near you, wait until you're completely burnt out of DDR and buy exceed CS(or if they make another CS mix). You won't find the time to master PIU until you've mastered DDR/ITG(at least DDR).
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
derf.
Basic Member
Basic Member

16. PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol i was gonna buy exceed (1) for ps2 next friday in flushing cause it looks fun.

that and i keep using the tricks for usual pump routines in my ddr routines =.=
those pump routines (esp smidgets and legal's) are crazy lol.
Baka of the Orochi
Trick Member
Trick Member

17. PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-POP_FOR_LIFE wrote:
coming from someone who recently did the switch, this is what i have to say.

PIU is not user-friendly at all, at least exceed CS. I picked it up because i wanted to try PIU but the only arcade near me with PIU has PREX3(which is pretty much the worst mix ever). I personally still prefer DDR as far as gameplay goes, because i still dont find the PIU layout natural at all. But thats just me. Keep in mind the only mixes ive played are PREX3 and exceed.

I would say try PIU at an arcade(if you have any not PREX3 mix near you) and if you dont have one near you, wait until you're completely burnt out of DDR and buy exceed CS(or if they make another CS mix). You won't find the time to master PIU until you've mastered DDR/ITG(at least DDR).

Uh, I know many people who made the switch during Exceed, and they made a much easier transition.

Exceed SE (US PS2) is TONS more beginner-friendly that most other PIU versions, even in the arcade, especially with the "shortcut menu" so you don't have to memorize mods.

In fact, if you want to learn the game, I'd highly recommend Exceed US, next to Zero.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Other Bemani and Music Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: