Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Building a metal pad

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
umanwizard
Basic Member
Basic Member

0. PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Building a metal pad Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm fed up with DDR pads that suck and I'd like to build my own metal one. I have one question: Is this something that somebody without a lot of DIY experience (basically I suck at building stuff) could frick up easily? Or will it be fine if I follow the directions to the letter?
View users profile Send private message
psisarah
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be fine if you follow the directions. My pad was the biggest project I've ever built myself, and it turned out perfect.
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of want to build a pad when I get back from basic. The only thing is, I lack much in the wiring skills, and building skills. That, and I want it to work for PS2, Xbox and USB.

I don't know how to do that, and all the guides around are old. And I got tired about 42 pages into the homemade pad topic.

Oh well, I guess I'll find out later.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
Jaufwa
Basic Member
Basic Member

3. PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had NO skills in anything.

Trust me I had never even stepped into a DIY store before!

It's a lot easier than it looks.

Fun too.
cornchipz
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna make some pads. I'll want someone to help me out as well. My english teacher might want me to make him a set also. I'll charge him a pretty penny for it too.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
umanwizard
Basic Member
Basic Member

5. PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Propose him a trade: Pad for A.

:-D

Edit: By the way what is "basic"? Sorry I'm dense today.
cornchipz
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basic Training for the Army. I leave next Tuesday. I can't do anything til I get back. But when I get back, I'm gonna want some help, cause I have no frick idea how to wire anything, and no idea which pad design to use.
vesper
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had absolutely no experience whatsoever and my pad has turned out great biggrin.gif

I took an Applied Electronics course last year, and all of my projects got messed up somehow lol. Going into this project I still had no idea what a ground was or how the circuitry was going to work, but now pad is fully functioning. Once I screw some stuff down it'll be done and I'll take some pics E4.gif

If you ever need help just use the sticky'd thread at the top regarding homepads, there are plenty of people there who can help you every step of the way nerd.gif
edbenn
Basic Member
Basic Member

8. PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As they said before, making a DDR pad isnt as hard as it seems. You can eben build one for practically free (even ghetto pads are better then 30 soft ones) Mine is coming along pretty good, I should have it done in a few days. Mind you I'm not going all out with the metal and the plexiglass, but its still gonna rock. Good luck and have fun with your project.
mrmafia
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you guys use a website to build them? whats the link?
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
stormshadow
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's one

http://home.comcast.net/~stoli16/ddr/

the rest can be found in the "My Home Built Metal Pad" thread in this forum a few posts up. It's stickied so you can't miss it.
Jaufwa
Basic Member
Basic Member

11. PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest one to build is DDRHomepads. (Even I built one for christ sake!) the link to his site is in my sig (click the link - not the pic)
slvrshdw
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or use riptides design...its a modified ddrhomepad..

cant find the link, just search for it... riiight.gif

or AIM/PM me nerd.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If any one wants info on triple support control boxes, PM me and I'll keep you posted. I'm building a special circuit for my pad with PS2/XBOX/PC support (and a ton of other stuff), and I will make a simple version for regular pad use. You'll need some basic soldering skills to build it, and less than $10 in parts (probably), plus a PIC programmer (you can build one for really cheap too).

Current status: not working on the electronics much since I'm finishing the actual pad. Will work soon.
PC support: working quite well, passes USB tests. Need to clean up code and add missing support for noncritical features.
XBOX support: code is there and works with PCs with the XBCD driver, but something prevents it from working on an actual box. Need to investigate.
PS2 support: works fine on an earlier version of the code for a simpler chip. Not yet ported to the new chip, but that's just because I'm lazy (it should be a piece of cake the way I designed the circuit).

Nice thing is, since it's microcontrolled, you can add features and customize it to your liking if you have programming skills (or you can ask me to do it for you). My special version has a bunch of stuff including an LCD screen for settings and status display, but that bumps up the cost noticeably.

Feature requests or suggestions, PM me. I'd like to know what you would want in control box support. Things like programmed lighting, or similar.

No promises or guarantees (especially on xbox support... I should be able to do it, but there might be something that I haven't considered that might be unfixable. I will work on it though.)
View users profile Send private message Send email
ceraf
Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do you build a programmer? do you have a schematic of one?
marcan
Trick Member
Trick Member

15. PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the programmer is used to transfer the program (.hex file) to the microcontroller's flash memory. Google "PIC programmer". The fact that these chips have been used in everything from light controllers to remote controls to hacking game consoles to hacking satellite TV to - well, everything, means that they are very popular and there have been plenty of designs for programmers around.

I use a WISP628 programmer which is actually based around a PIC itself and is a "smart" programmer, but the simplest programmers around only use a few passives and possibly zener diodes (cheapo way of interfacing the serial port), or a standard TTL buffer for parallel port programmers. Just make sure it supports the right chip (I use PIC18F4550 for my control box), but most of the "dumb" ones should work fine with ICPROG (quite decent programming software for windows, google for it)
View users profile Send private message Send email
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: