Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Intec "Arcade Dance Platform"
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WoodyWindy
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:48 am    Post subject: Intec "Arcade Dance Platform" Reply with quote

This is a preliminary review of the Intec "Arcade Dance Platform".

The Intec "Arcade Dance Platform" is one of the new-generation metal-frame platforms that uses a single smooth surface.

This specific model is available from Toys R Us for $99, which makes it about the same net price (including the cost-cloaking shipping charges) as similar pads on eBay. These pads may or may not have similar performance characteristics.

I use a PS/2; however, the Intec pad has a dual-headed cable that allows for either PlayStation or X-Box connection. The cable is permanently attached to the left side of the embedded control box "handle". This handle takes up about 1/3 of the front edge of the pad, and includes robust-feeling "Start" and "Select" buttons. On the right side of the handle is a socket with a configuration I do not recognise. In contrast, some of the eBay pads have no handle at all, and others have a handle all the way across the top.

Closeup of the handle and dual-connections:

The play surface is a single sheet of what appears to be polycarbonate. The graphics are silk-screened onto the underside, so they aren't going to wear-off from heavy play. Aesthetics are, of course, subject to taste, but I find the design attractive. The 2 cm thick metal frame is nicely burnished - all seam-welds are smooth, and there are no sharp corners. The "edging strip" that holds the playing surface in place is also metal, and welded to the frame. Over all, the construction feels pretty solid. The bottom is 100% covered with a piece of traction-foam. There is no visible way to disassemble the pad, so I can't tell you what the sensors are made of without clearly warranty-destroying surgery.

In play, I found the pad responsive, but not over-sensitive. The area over each sensor "gives" a little to invoke the connection, while the areas between sensors are rigidly supported, so do you get a little feedback. It was enough for me to keep oriented without a problem. The traction-foam does its job well, and there was no pad migration on my fairly thick carpet. There were no missed steps where I did not clearly feel that I missed the button. Nor were there any "early" hits. I rate the accuracy of the pad as excellent.

Here I must say that I am not the most profficient of dancers, and so someone who is much better than I am may have a different experience. I dance on the arcade machines, and my prior personal pads are DX/Ignition style thick-foam. While the feel is definitely not "arcade" identical, I can say without hesitation that I like the Intec platform far better than the soft pads.

Last edited by WoodyWindy on Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message
Dan Druff
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The right side of the handle is a socket for the X-BOX accessory like X-BOX Live or a microphone. I was fortunate enough to purchase that pad for half off at Toys R Us because of a Christmas promotion that will take half off the price if you purchase a dance pad and game together; the game I purchased was Dance Dance Revolution ULTRAMIX 3. The performance is different on tile. My pad was slightly bent inward, and the pad slid slightly. However, I actually prefer this to the Cobalt Flux because you can play with bare feet or socks despite the caution sticker. The surface appears flat, but you really can feel the arrows when you step on them. This pad probably won't beat the Cobalt Flux or Afterburner, but it is a serious contender in the metal pad market.

Last edited by Dan Druff on Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message Send email Xbox Live Gamertag
WoodyWindy
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed the sale, though the clerk thought it was still going on when I asked him the price. Unfortunately the manager wouldn't honor it. E2.gif That would have been a great deal, but the price was still reasonable.

P.S. I've updated the pictures in my original message to reflect my actual pad.
organman77
Basic Member
Basic Member

3. PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Woot Reply with quote

E1.gif I bought this pad earlier today from toysrus and then spent 3.5 hours playing on it nonstop on my PS2. I weigh 175 pounds and play standard to heavy (DDR) and medium to hard (ITG) and generally get from B to A...though on some songs on heavy and challenge I'm just glad to get a D or C. I think the pad is an excellent choice for your average DDR player with a tighter budget until one can afford a Cobalt Flux. I have found no problem with the pad or its responsiveness, though it certainly isn't as sensitive as the cobalt flux or an arcade pad. But it is more responsive (and more fun to use) than the average soft pad or ignition-type pad (having used both). I checked to make sure with the store, and they said that if there was any malfunction or damage to the unit when I opened it that I could return it, thought that is something you'd want to check with at the individual store before buying. The pad is easy to store and convenient to carry with a handle at the top...though it might take two people to carry it for some. I played my ddr max2, extreme 2, and ITG and had a blast. I highly recommend this if you cannot afford a cobalt flux. If I notice any problems later or malfunctions, I will post these.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger
DudeBoy
Basic Member
Basic Member

4. PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: 2 strikes... Reply with quote

I bought 2 Intec Metal mats at Toys R Us (1/2 price for Christmas). Within a day the left arrow "moved" toward the center--I suppose in reality there must be multiple sensors and most quit working. Within another day the left arrow quit working completely.

The second mat quit working after 8 days--completely. Doesn't even get recognized by the XBox.

These are being used by 13 and 11 year old thin boys. They are very good at DDR and play for several hours a day. I wouldn't think this is overly used, and definitely not a weight issue.
moonvn96
Basic Member
Basic Member

5. PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: not worth buying Reply with quote

i just purchase this pad yesterday at toyrus. it is 99$, but immidiately the left arrows already have problems. for a brand new pads the left arrows is nearly dead, you have to press really hard in the precise location to get a signal, i returned it this morning. cheap junk is still junk.

you're welcome guys
btw i am a beginner, and already notice these things.
jpoppyz
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would you say these pads are going to last? I think the pictures made it look a tad bit cheap...but that could just be me. I didn't like intec's soft pads or controllers, so i'm afraid this might not be the "compromise" i thought it would be. Also, do you get a warrenty on these things at toys R us? i havent been to toys r us in ages. and i would like to at least try this if i know i get a year warrenty on it.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
jpoppyz
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the pad looks rather cheap and if the sensors slide and its a metal, my god do you have a problem!
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Intec "Arcade Dance Platform" Reply with quote

[quote="WoodyWindy"]This is a preliminary review of the Intec "Arcade Dance Platform".

The Intec "Arcade Dance Platform" is one of the new-generation metal-frame platforms that uses a single smooth surface.

[img]http://www.irrationalsanity.com/showtime/fullpad.jpg[/img]

This specific model is available from Toys R Us for $99, which makes it about the same net price (including the cost-cloaking shipping charges) as similar pads on eBay. These pads may or may not have similar performance characteristics.

I use a PS/2; however, the Intec pad has a dual-headed cable that allows for either PlayStation or X-Box connection. The cable is permanently attached to the left side of the embedded control box "handle". This handle takes up about 1/3 of the front edge of the pad, and includes robust-feeling "Start" and "Select" buttons. On the right side of the handle is a socket with a configuration I do not recognise. In contrast, some of the eBay pads have no handle at all, and others have a handle all the way across the top.

Closeup of the handle and dual-connections:

[img]http://www.irrationalsanity.com/showtime/controlbox.jpg[/img]

The play surface is a single sheet of what appears to be polycarbonate. The graphics are silk-screened onto the underside, so they aren't going to wear-off from heavy play. Aesthetics are, of course, subject to taste, but I find the design attractive. The 2 cm thick metal frame is nicely burnished - all seam-welds are smooth, and there are no sharp corners. The "edging strip" that holds the playing surface in place is also metal, and welded to the frame. Over all, the construction feels pretty solid. The bottom is 100% covered with a piece of traction-foam. There is no visible way to disassemble the pad, so I can't tell you what the sensors are made of without clearly warranty-destroying surgery.

In play, I found the pad responsive, but not over-sensitive. The area over each sensor "gives" a little to invoke the connection, while the areas between sensors are rigidly supported, so do you get a little feedback. It was enough for me to keep oriented without a problem. The traction-foam does its job well, and there was no pad migration on my fairly thick carpet. There were no missed steps where I did not clearly feel that I missed the button. Nor were there any "early" hits. I rate the accuracy of the pad as excellent.

Here I must say that I am not the most profficient of dancers, and so someone who is much better than I am may have a different experience. I dance on the arcade machines, and my prior personal pads are DX/Ignition style thick-foam. While the feel is definitely not "arcade" identical, I can say without hesitation that I like the Intec platform far better than the soft pads.[/quote]

I had my dad buy me one of these from the sale. Unfortantly, it stopped working complte and went screwy after the first month. I love the feel of that mats, but my soft mats have outlasted this (soft mat = 2 years) and I do 9 footers on them. Nice pad, not nice lasting time.
Dan Druff
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of all the people who posted in this thread, only three people have pads that still work. Either Intec made the pad badly, or the pad may have been damaged during transit. The pads are not exactly handled with care when they are displayed in Toys R Us. Doesn't Toys R Us have a good return policy? For those who immediately experience problems with the pad, you have 45 days to return the pad to Toys R Us for refund or exchange.
Marq(uistadorous)
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Intec "Arcade Dance Platform" Reply with quote

Looks like a nice pad for the price. It's just not right for me cause I am against 1 piece surfaces E1.gif Im guessing it'd be reliable too
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good. And I could get it for the same price as my broken-since-forever Ignition 3.0.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
WoodyWindy
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following up,

My pad is still working just fine. The button surfaces are a little more pliable, but not showing any sign of the contacts getting dislocated as some others have reported.

Sensitivity is still good. If anything, it is better than when I took the pad out of the box. (Unfortunately, I'm not that much better a player... biggrin.gif )

Some of the traction foam backing is peeling from a corner, and it reveals some metal reinforcement, and thin fiberboard panels. I suspect the peeling in this case was caused by the fiberboard not mating correctly at the metal reinforcing plate, causing the foam to catch on its edge during the micro-movements of the pad against the floor.

In general, the underside revealed by the foam is not as well finished as the parts that are normally visible. While it doesn't affect function, it does show the cost-cutting that goes into this pad's construction. One should not expect the same level of finish on a $100 (or less) pad as on a $ 300 (or more) platform.

In conclusion, I have no regrets regarding this purchase.
0rion
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks interesting, but it seems to say very clearly, "Caveat Emptor."

...At least I think that's how the saying goes.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
WoodyWindy
Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is indeed, and that is a good policy to follow whenever making any major purchase - "Let the buyer beware!".

It simply means, don't assume the seller has your best interests in mind. Do your research, examine the items carefully, and make an informed decision.

It doesn't mean "don't buy junk". It means "don't buy junk unless you know it's junk, and are paying an appropriate price for junk, and aren't expecting it to perform like a swiss watch."

Also consider the engineering conundrum: "Your product - well built, low cost, high performance - pick any two".
RedFordKiller
Basic Member
Basic Member

15. PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol. that looks like a dance pad that would be in napoeleon dynamite
japanese_azn92
Basic Member
Basic Member

16. PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This pad all-out sucks. Within the first couple of songs i played *Heavy(DDR)* The bottom started ripping off. It doesnt feel sturdy or reliable and when you step, it makes you want to get off. disgust.gif I was standing in the middle w/shoes, and the pad sensor for triangle made me exit out. But i tried this on carpet and the bottom ripped. Im pretty sure this is meant for HARD surfaces but i dont have any TVs near hard surfaces. I returned this piece of junk. My pad is better. All it is, is a 20$ dance pad from GameStop duck taped on to a wooden frame with plywood to cover and some non-slip walk thing under the pad.

Sakura-RevenG: fav song bhappy.gifd

~Ramen is the way to go~

Email: japanese_asian55@yahoo.com
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Travelsonic
Trick Member
Trick Member

17. PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this pad on Thusrday - the pad was overall good looking except for a couple of dents in the metal and peeling foam on the bottom.The next day one of the right arrow sensors died making it impossible to pass anything. I returned it and got a new one (last one at the White Plains Toys 'R us E4.gif) of which I have yet to try but hope will last and that this is just one of those "one pad will break the other works perfectly" kind of thing that occures when buying pads.

People are right about the poor handling in transit though - the box for this one began falling apart completely when it got home.
Dan Druff
Trick Member
Trick Member

18. PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pad now acts funny on the X-BOX. It works on Karaoke Revolution Party but not on any of the Ultramix games. It does still work on the PlayStation 2, which is good because I have ITG.
Travelsonic
Trick Member
Trick Member

19. PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Druff wrote:
My pad now acts funny on the X-BOX. It works on Karaoke Revolution Party but not on any of the Ultramix games. It does still work on the PlayStation 2, which is good because I have ITG.

The problems with my pad occured for me after attempting to connect the pad to my Xbox adapter for use in Stepmania for 4 hours (since I gave away Ultramix, not that it matters since I now have Konamix, MAX, MAX2, In the Groove, and as of today, DDR EXTREME), but I doubt that would have much of an effect... I hope. blink.gif
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: