Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

ITG featured in July 2005 Issue of EGM
Goto page Previous  1, 2  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edible Bondage Tape
Trick Member
Trick Member

20. PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cfusionpm wrote:
EnglishBastardizingTerror wrote:
yea its silly they didnt have any reviewers for a niche genre tha makes up a unfathomioly small percentage of all gameing

exactly. if i remember correctly, they praised pretty much all of the american ddr console releases because of their overall mass appeal. by comparrison, itg doesnt have that. very good point.

they gave the american DDrs the exact same scores 7s and 6s they also write down point and clicks casue no one on the staff likes them any more
Trick Member
Trick Member

21. PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait if I am new to ddr is this game going to be uber hard for me? Should I cancell my pre-order, or are they a bunch of liars?
View users profile Send private message
Edible Bondage Tape
Trick Member
Trick Member

22. PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the hardest mode is harder than ddr but the easyer steps are easy (if not according to the roumers stupid and insipid)
Vivid Member
Vivid Member

23. PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll do fine on ITG, the hill is just longer then the hill for getting to the hardest songs on DDR
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Soda
Trick Member
Trick Member

24. PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice = Beginner
Easy = light
Medium = Standard
Hard = Heavy
Expert = Awesome
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
.hack//*cough*
Trick Member
Trick Member

Location: H-Town, TX, USA, Planet Earth, 3rd Rock from the Sun
25. PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soda wrote:
Novice = Beginner
Easy = light
Medium = Standard
Hard = Heavy
Expert = Awesome

You forgot DDR's Oni/Challenge steps. E10.gif

As for EGM, screw them. I lost all respect for them when they gave DDR EX US a higher score than UM2 on the X-Box. Yes, a game with NO DANCE PLAY SETTINGS or Training speed option is OBVIOUSLY better than a X-Box game that at least got those parts right simply because it was on the PS2. Lame. disgust.gif

At least EX 2 US is shaping up to be a better game, based on what I've seen so far. (Sup Dance Play settings)

I'm getting ITG regardless, because while it's not the prettiest dancing game out there graphically, it makes up for it in the 2 areas that matter the most for me: The songs and the gameplay.

"It's not God who created humans. It's humans who create God." - Cowboy Bebop Ep. 24 (Brain Scratch)
Atkins is dead. Long live exercise and dance games.
View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
-SuperZero3 Gold-
Trick Member
Trick Member

26. PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As for EGM, screw them. I lost all respect for them when they gave DDR EX US a higher score than UM2 on the X-Box. Yes, a game with NO DANCE PLAY SETTINGS or Training speed option is OBVIOUSLY better than a X-Box game that at least got those parts right simply because it was on the PS2. Lame.

Wow, and to think I was just about to defend these people. But no. They lose.

Give me a challenge so I know what to play next time I go.

ULTIMATE HIGH SCHOOL SPRING SEASON:
Ooltewah is the UPA 2008 High School State Champion! Yay for doing something before leaving high school.
yyr
Trick Member
Trick Member

27. PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I already nailed this one in the Extreme USA review I wrote on GameFAQs. [/shameless plug]

Game reviewers review for the masses. They aren't like us--they don't give a crap what Dance Play Setting is, or whether the Oni courses are too easy, or whether they licensed music from A Different Drum. To them, "recognizable" = Sandstorm, and anything by Britney Spears. They review American games for the mainstream American masses, not for genre fans. Not to mention that it's hard to find any diehard music game fans on the staff of any major magazine. Do you honestly think anyone at EGM plays IIDX? I'd expect not, and that most of them don't even know what it is.

That said, these were the review scores I'd have expected ITG to get from most publications. Think about it: DDR Extreme USA vs. ITG. Extreme USA has more recognizable (and diverse) music, more extra modes (mission, for example), edit mode, and the EyeToy minigames. ITG lacks all that. So for the mainstream, DDR Extreme USA is probably a better buy. Combine that with the fact that the dance game no longer has the bang of innovation that it once did, and to Mr. Random American Gamer, ITG looks like it should be somewhere between a 5 and a 7.

Also, note that between 5 and 7 doesn't necessarily mean a game sucks. It can also be rated low by the fact that it doesn't necessarily have broad appeal. ITG is no genre-buster; it won't necessarily appeal to MGS, GTA, Madden and Gran Turismo fans. It's targeted towards a specific kind of gamer and the rating reflects that. Note that the reviews never said "ITG sucks," it just says that it won't appeal to all kinds of gamers.

That said, I just want to clear up that there's no way in hell I'd ever recommend Extreme USA over ITG to anyone. =)

~yyr
Trick Member
Trick Member

28. PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow glad to here about the difficulty thats what I thought it was but that dumb magazine freaked me out, I just can't wait for this to come, the delay is killing me.
goodtimesddr
Trick Member
Trick Member

29. PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't blame the EGM reviewers.
Their brains had been literally melted to the foundations by reviewing countless god awful games. Besides, they don't really play music games like us DDR FREAKS! Remember that the reviewer's final score is only their personal opinion, but ultimately you should decide on your own.
Alezay
Trick Member
Trick Member

30. PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think about it. If most video game reviewers obviously don't prefer a certain kind of game, they will automatically without thought give it a bad score. They don't review games in the general sense to accomidate with everyone's point of view regardless of opinion. They review based on THEIR feelings and thoughts about the given game. So say they liked Halo, why would they give Halo 2 a lower score EVEN IF it was complete trash? (I'm not stating this but giving an example) They won't. EGM is VERY opinion based which is why I never did like their magazine. GamePro is somewhate opinion based, but they review in more of a general sense. Noting what disappointed them, if the game is buggy, if fan-favorites are missing, etc. Which is why you should almost NEVER rely on a game review by ANYONE. Rent the game, if you like it buy it. Or if you're sure it will be good, buy it. Don't become reliant on anyone's opinion but YOUR OWN. You'll be much happier with games that way.

Alezay from "THE GRP"
Toady wrote:
That guy on his knees is me, and I'm doing what I do best - worship the rooster.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
Rancidfish
Trick Member
Trick Member

31. PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the review. They only rated it a 6.5 on average, but other than the title, they said pretty much said nothing bad about the game. They basically said it's a good game for dance game players, and it doesn't have as much well-known music, but it's still a good game.

Someone who likes music games will read the review and think "well maybe I should check it out." Someone who doesn't will read it and think "huh, sounds like a dumb DDR ripoff." Why complain?
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: