Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

ITG ranking, best to worst?

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lexsip ~Q!~
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: ITG ranking, best to worst? Reply with quote

This is a pretty dumb question, I'm not really sure where to look seeing as it's pretty straight forward- DDR has AAA, AA, A, B, C, ect- I don't understand the ranking for ITG. I think you get AAs in DDR by achieving 90%+ of the dance points? Anyone know the %s needed for what ranks, or what's roughly equivilent? I'll get an A+ or a C+ and not really know what that means, I like just going by percents, but I'm curious nonetheless.

Also interesting- I got a B- on Xuxa with something like a 69.xx and my friend got a C+ with something like a 72.xx. Point being that she scored a higher percent than me but got a lower letter grade / rank. Anyone care to try and explain? =P.

Thanks. Sorry if this is posted somewhere, I'm not sure where it would be posted and I have looked around.
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger
Thomas Hobbes
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.00 - ****
0.99 - ***
0.98 - **
0.96 - *

etc.

1.00 = 100% = AAAA.

| Pics | Play-Asia |
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
Rancidfish
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: ITG ranking, best to worst? Reply with quote

Lexsip_RAGE wrote:
This is a pretty dumb question, I'm not really sure where to look seeing as it's pretty straight forward- DDR has AAA, AA, A, B, C, ect- I don't understand the ranking for ITG. I think you get AAs in DDR by achieving 90%+ of the dance points? Anyone know the %s needed for what ranks, or what's roughly equivilent? I'll get an A+ or a C+ and not really know what that means, I like just going by percents, but I'm curious nonetheless.
It goes F, D, C-, C, C+, B-, B, B+, A-, A, A+, S-, S, S+, *, **, ***, ****. In terms of actual cutoffs... I know where I could find them, but I'm lazy. The cutoff for a * is 96%, S- is somewhere around 89%, A- is around 80ish, then 70ish is a B-... 55% or something for a C-, and then any passing score below C- is of course a D.

* or ** is about equivalent to a AAA. It's difficult to get without perfect EA (all excellents and above) or really good FA (mostly fantastics). The S-types tend to be equivalent to the AA rating from DDR. Getting close to a full-combo and good EA is the best way to get into the S-range.

Then, other than that, the D/C/B/A stuff is really pretty similar to DDR's D/C/B/A. I've FC'd songs with B-s before when I've had really awful EA/FA... like 200 greats, 250 excellents and 150 fantastics... but that's a lot like how I can full-combo PARANOiA Survivor in DDR and I can't AA it. So yeah... it's a bit easier to FC a song with a B in ItG than in DDR, because if you have a lot of greats, having a lot of excellents too makes your grade even worse, while DDR doesn't make the distinction between Perfects and Marvelouses in normal mode.

Overall, though, the grading system is pretty similar. D = D, C = C, B = B, A = A, S = AA, * = AAA... and then the **** is just "you are amazing"-land. Even ***s scare the pants off of me.
Lexsip_RAGE wrote:
Also interesting- I got a B- on Xuxa with something like a 69.xx and my friend got a C+ with something like a 72.xx. Point being that she scored a higher percent than me but got a lower letter grade / rank. Anyone care to try and explain? =P.
There's currently a bug wherein, for %age, everything is counted normally, but for grade, missed freezes and hit mines are counted extra. Mines are just counted twice. Missed freezes... it's more complicated, because each missed freeze actually increases the "total dance points" value which your score is being divided into.

But again, that's only for letter grade, not for %age score.
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: ITG ranking, best to worst? Reply with quote

Rancidfish wrote:
[Overall, though, the grading system is pretty similar. D = D, C = C, B = B, A = A, S = AA, * = AAA... and then the **** is just "you are amazing"-land. Even ***s scare the pants off of me

thats about it, except i would compare them like S = high A, low AA, * = better AA, ** = SDG, and *** = AAA
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Hmph Reply with quote

Isn't there an SS ranking? Or am I just thinking back in the day of the older DDR mixes? I think ITG def had to make this new kind of ranking because it's a new -kind- of ranking, based on marvelouses and such. When I got an A before, I thought it didnt' mean the same thing and that I was actually doing worse on ITG than I would do on DDR, but now I realize that it's an A and that I'm just lacking in Fantastics.

Thanks for explaining.
Rancidfish
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: ITG ranking, best to worst? Reply with quote

cfusionpm wrote:
thats about it, except i would compare them like S = high A, low AA, * = better AA, ** = SDG, and *** = AAA
Well, it depends on your FA. I haven't gotten any **s without at least an FEC, and I've gotten several *s that have been FECs, at least on easy. If your FA is better, though, then yeah, you're likely to get those grades with more greats.

And really, It's easier just to say "A is A, S is AA, * is AAA". E10.gif

SS was from older DDR mixes, yes. It was basically the AA equivalent from back in the day, because it was an S (full-combo) but required a higher perfect percentage as well.
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No no no. * is not AAA. A * is a AA unless it is a high 97% variant. Example:

If those 7 Greats were to be Excellents or Fantastics, my percentage would either be a very high 97% variant or a 98% which would be a **. AAA's are basically **. However, there can be exceptions. Also noticed the hold I let go of. Had I finished that hold I'd be around 96.58% which would make it impossible for my * to be a AAA because even if all 7 greats were excellents, I'd still probably hit 98%.

Alezay from "THE GRP"
Toady wrote:
That guy on his knees is me, and I'm doing what I do best - worship the rooster.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
Boochypa
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right. A * isn't a AAA. Neither is a **. Neither is a ****. A FEC isn't even really a AAA, because the excellent window is bigger than the perfect window. There is no equivalent to a AAA, so stop trying to make one up.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
Thomas Hobbes
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, my friend has green flagged a song but still was able to get ***s. I'd have to say **** is a DDR AAA as that'd be a "AAAA". Even if the fantastic windows are bigger or whatnot, it'd still be a AAA compared to DDR's windows technically.

| Pics | Play-Asia |
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
J. S. Mill
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

9. PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We aren't trying to make an equivalence.

When I say a ** is a AAA, I mean that, to me, it seems as hard to get a ** as it seemed to get a AAA on DDR.
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPF5.Kiba wrote:
We aren't trying to make an equivalence.

Quote:
* = AAA

Quote:
*** = AAA

What?
Lexsip ~Q!~
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted a rough estimate. It's pretty stupid to pick apart his words like that. If you want a -really- stupid arguement, and most likely a lock on this thread, go ahead. But really, I'm content with the answers I got and I'm the one asking the question, I don't udnerstand why you would care that much. No, it's not a perfect comparison, but it's good enough for me.
Alezay
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boochypa wrote:
the excellent window is bigger than the perfect window. There is no equivalent to a AAA, so stop trying to make one up.

Again, another wrong post. (I should seriously get Foy to show some people the math involved in this.) The excellent window may be bigger than the perfect window, HOWEVER, there is another window involved. Since DDR has no Marvelous timing windows for normal play, in ITG, it is STILL harder to even get a AAA equivilent. A ** or *** is basically a AAA. A ** is barely a AAA while a *** is a strong AAA. A FEC doesn't mean you'll get a **. Because you can have a large amount of excellents and little fantastics, or they could be pretty even, etc. To get a ** you need easily under 90 Excellents and if the excellents are REALLY low, you can afford a Great or two. If you think about it, in DDR's Non-Stop or Challenge mode, no matter what, as long as you didn't have ANY Greats and only had Marvelous and Perfect timings, you got a AAA. Even if you had 1384 Perfects and 2 Marvelous'.That isn't the case with ITG. So obtaining a ** or *** is basically a AAA. A **** is obviously a AAAA and there can't just be AA's and AAAA's and no AAA equivilent.

Alezay from "THE GRP"
Toady wrote:
That guy on his knees is me, and I'm doing what I do best - worship the rooster.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
Rancidfish
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's technically possible to get an FEC with a low A or A- or something. 80%.

If anyone pulls off a literal full excellent combo, I think that will be the end of dance games as we know it.
Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rancidfish wrote:

If anyone pulls off a literal full excellent combo, I think that will be the end of dance games as we know it.

Well considering people pulled off Full Decent Combos (also see: turner) I'm sure that this isn't too impossible to do
View users profile Send private message
Rancidfish
Trick Member
Trick Member

15. PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Houou wrote:
Rancidfish wrote:

Well considering people pulled off Full Decent Combos (also see: turner) I'm sure that this isn't too impossible to do
Well, I am exaggerating, of course, but it's still sort of insane. The excellent window is about the same size as the fantastic window, but split in the middle. So, if you're aiming for the excellent window on a specific side of the beat, that's around half the size of the fantastic window. That's an insane degree of precision, and you have to be precisely offbeat, which is also hard.

But y'know, it can and will be done, if anyone cares to. Heh.
Trick Member
Trick Member

16. PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alezay wrote:
Boochypa wrote:
the excellent window is bigger than the perfect window. There is no equivalent to a AAA, so stop trying to make one up.

Again, another wrong post. (I should seriously get Foy to show some people the math involved in this.) The excellent window may be bigger than the perfect window, HOWEVER, there is another window involved. Since DDR has no Marvelous timing windows for normal play, in ITG, it is STILL harder to even get a AAA equivilent. A ** or *** is basically a AAA. A ** is barely a AAA while a *** is a strong AAA. A FEC doesn't mean you'll get a **. Because you can have a large amount of excellents and little fantastics, or they could be pretty even, etc. To get a ** you need easily under 90 Excellents and if the excellents are REALLY low, you can afford a Great or two. If you think about it, in DDR's Non-Stop or Challenge mode, no matter what, as long as you didn't have ANY Greats and only had Marvelous and Perfect timings, you got a AAA. Even if you had 1384 Perfects and 2 Marvelous'.That isn't the case with ITG. So obtaining a ** or *** is basically a AAA. A **** is obviously a AAAA and there can't just be AA's and AAAA's and no AAA equivilent.

Except it is WAY easier to get a ** than it is to get a AAA. An ** means that you can screw up on a step or two... and it doesn't matter. A AAA is much harder to get, since just one screw-up and you miss it.

Having said that, I do believe that a ** requires only slightly less PA skill than a AAA... it's just easier, as the consistency requirements are lower.

Therefore, I would say that a ** is equivalent of an SDG. It requires good PA, but also allows fudge room. A *** really doesn't allow much fudge room at all, and thus is equivalent to a AAA.
painting all over a monochrome world in primary colors.
We all know that.
It's why everyone loves fruit.
www.engrish.com
Rancidfish
Trick Member
Trick Member

17. PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually find **s about as difficult to get as AAAs, if not more so. I've AAA'd a few standard songs in DDR, while I haven't **'d anything above a 4 in ItG. When I play 3s and 4s in ItG, I usually get a S+ or *, and very rarely get a **, while I get AAAs on 3s and 4s in DDR... eh... about once every three tries or so?
Trick Member
Trick Member

18. PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

once you get used to the syncing issues of itg, **s become much easier than AAAs were on ddr. i have like 25 **s on hard of the 30 or 35 hard songs ive played, and most of which i got first or second try (7-9 foot). they're easier because they allow a lot more fudge room than a *** does.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: