Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

New Calculator DDR!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR PC and Simulators
View previous topic :: View next topic  
[ES] GARYsurvivor
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: New Calculator DDR! Reply with quote

Somebody suggested that I move this topic here, so here it is:
I have been working on a new video game for the TI-83 Plus, TI-83 Plus Silver Edition, TI-84, TI-84 Plus, and TI-84 Plus Silver Edition graphing calculators. Of course it will not have sound, but It should turn out good in the end. Here are some screen shots:

It will be programmed in assembly language (which is hard and it sucks disgust.gif ). I wanted to get your opinions, and possibly even suggestions to make the game better. I already have a songlist, so I can't add any more songs.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
Philipio
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure everything is on heavy. Playing on light is extremely boring.
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll never get anything done in Math ever again. Looks good! =P
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVE YOU IF YOU CAN FINISH THAT.

just make sure everythings on heavy E15.gif the other one is fast but all light so :/
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep it to the original thread, please.
View users profile Send private message
Cutriss
Staff Member
Staff Member

5. PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea how long ago that thread last had a post, so it's not *that* big of a deal.

I realize that those are just test pics you've posted, but can the TI-series recognize more than 2 inputs at a time? Or 1 even? I would assume that, considering that all the 2nd/3rd level functions use a toggle and not a hold-press technique, that the keyboard scanning routines would only check for the first key depressed.

Sentient Mode is capable...
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
davidbrit2
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutriss wrote:
I realize that those are just test pics you've posted, but can the TI-series recognize more than 2 inputs at a time? Or 1 even? I would assume that, considering that all the 2nd/3rd level functions use a toggle and not a hold-press technique, that the keyboard scanning routines would only check for the first key depressed.

Yeah, that should be fine. I've played many games on various TI calculators that have diagonal movement and such. I think the TI-86 was the only one that had a bug in that regard, because it would halt as long as you held down Down + Left or something like that.

Last edited by davidbrit2 on Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
[ES] GARYsurvivor
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible to detect as many keypresses as you want with the power of assembly language. The key port is separated into 6 groups (I think). You can read a group and get a number to use in the program. Coviniently, all the arrow keys are in the same group. When the group is read, it returns 11111111 if no keys are pressed. If all the arrow button were pressed, the number would look like 00001111. Each 0 represents a different key being pressed. I can individually check each bit.

Do not worry. It will have heavy. It will have all 3 main difficulties for the songs. (Some of my friends suck at anything even close to DDR E15.gif )

The topic was moved here because the last post in my other one told me to move it here, so it could gain more attention.

I really don't know when this could be done. I still have to program the groove radar, program most of the stuff used for actually playing, and changing the steps for the songs into a series of 1's and 0's that only my program can read and understand. Each arrow should only take 1 byte. If you really are curious, the format will go as follows:

Bits 7-4 will control the existance of arrows. A 1 will represent an arrow.
Bits 3-0 will control the existance of freezes. A 1 will toggle the presence of a freeze on or off.

1001 1000 will start a left.gif right.gif jump with a freeze continuing off the left arrow. Just an example. E13.gif
Wow, I typed a lot...I just wanted to answer some questions.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
davidbrit2
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, sounds like a decent enough format. You'll need a way to flag 12th note/triplet sections, though. You could probably get away with having bits 0-3 just contain the bitwise complement of the high order bits to designate the beginning or end of a triplet section. Then you can do something simple like this to check for switching into 12th note mode:

(byte / 4) XOR (byte AND 0xF) == 0xF

That will work fine assuming you'll never have 4 arrows at once in the step data.

Since you're going to be using 16 bytes per measure for full 16th note compatibility, you can then just store each triplet in the 1st 3 bytes for any given beat of the measure and ignore the 4th one when the program is expecting 12th notes. I was tinkering with making a simple DWI viewer for Palm once, and that's more or less how I handled storage for those.

Gah. This is the first week since classes, and I'm already reverting back to computer science mode. Kill me.

Last edited by davidbrit2 on Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total
[ES] GARYsurvivor
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have already had that idea. If the program comes across 1111XXXX, I have made special commands that do what would have suggested and more. In really easy songs, I can set it up to only read for the next arrow after evey 12 pixels (the regular 1/4 note spacing). If a song is mostly 1/8 notes, I can set it up to read for the next arrow after every 6 pixels. I can use these 1111XXXX commands to change this defaust spacing to whatever I want. Speed changes will also be controlled with this. It's a good idea, but I have already done it.

I hope this is what you are talking about. That mumbo jumbo C++ or whatever high-level language stuff confuses me. confused.gif I would use something fun like this to check junk:

ld a,(datablah)
push af
and %11110000
cp %11110000
jp z,commandstuff
pop af
bit 7,a
jr z,leftarrowstuff

Something fun like that. Assembly is great. laugh.gif
Light_373
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a beta version of that yet? I got an 84+SE w/ the usb cable and a hell of a lot of free time.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
[ES] GARYsurvivor
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Light_373 wrote:
You have a beta version of that yet? I got an 84+SE w/ the usb cable and a hell of a lot of free time.

I could try to get a sample like thing to work. It doesn't really show much. I can't give you my program I have now because it will probably kill your calculator because it isn't finished. Assembly is kinda weird that way. I could show you the title screen, a little menu, and like half of a song selection screen...if you really want to see it...or maybe an arrow speed demo? lightbulb.gif
Light_373
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

send em to my email. p_szeliski@ameritech.net. the only programming code i know is what your site taught me of basic.
Bolt-Edge
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just dont put bag on it, i dont want my silver edition to explode laugh.gif
[ES] GARYsurvivor
Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Light_373 wrote:
the only programming code i know is what your site taught me of basic.

You actually went to that? I thought nobody ever went to that site. I never finished it...I will send it to you or just post a like here when I get something going.

Wow, somebody actually went to my lame, incomplete tutorial? WOW!

http://paranoia.sitesled.com/basic/

If you want to see it.

I actually might put bag on DDR version 3.18! laugh.gif
Bolt-Edge
Trick Member
Trick Member

15. PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GARYsurvivor wrote:
I actually might put bag on DDR version 3.18! laugh.gif

DUCK AND COVER!
Light_373
Trick Member
Trick Member

16. PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be cool.
Cutriss
Staff Member
Staff Member

17. PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GARYsurvivor wrote:
It is possible to detect as many keypresses as you want with the power of assembly language. The key port is separated into 6 groups (I think). You can read a group and get a number to use in the program. Coviniently, all the arrow keys are in the same group. When the group is read, it returns 11111111 if no keys are pressed. If all the arrow button were pressed, the number would look like 00001111. Each 0 represents a different key being pressed. I can individually check each bit.
Granted, I haven't worked in TI-ASM, but I figure that your keyscanning routine runs similar to x86 ASM:

MOV AX, whatever the opcode is
INT whatever the keyboard interrupt is

And then you read the ASCII values out of AX for the individual keys. I'm making an assumption that the TI uses something similar for its keyboard-handling.

Basically, as I recall, the INT 09 functions are only capable of storing two keys at any given time, so when the keyboard is polled, one of two things happens - either certain keys take precedence by default (for example, on most keyboards, when pressing left, up, and down, left will always be present, and one of the other two keys will be ignored), or the two most recently-pressed keys will be recognized.

So, it's not "the power of assembly" - it's actually assembly that instills such limitations in programs. All of the recent "hard disk capacity barriers" have been a result of limitations in x86 assembly being worked around. As you've stated, the TI appears to be immune to this keyboard polling problem, but the PC is not.

Sentient Mode is capable...
プライアン
Trick Member
Trick Member

18. PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I can find some free time I will try to make up a Draw Menu and Graphics Page. I just made a really cool animation (recall pic x) of a guy kickflipping a set of stairs. I'll make another one to demo on your website.
Basic Member
Basic Member

19. PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know... you could make a lot of money if you sold this, i know i would buy it.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR PC and Simulators All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: