Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Any chance of freestyling on ITG?
Goto page Previous  1, 2  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dj Sway
Trick Member
Trick Member

20. PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL wrote:
good point but everyone sucks at freestyle these days so why still try. i'd rather watch a bunch of really good techers play some hard songs then some really stupid looking freestylers

That's like saying "everyone hates asparagus, so why try it?"

ITG, DDR, and all other Bemani are games.
Games are supposed to be fun.
If I put money into a machine, I expect to be able to play it however I want to.
If you don't like it, then don't watch.
Problem solved.

Anyway...

I'm working on some FS routines for Bubble Dancer (inflatable duck floatee anyone? laugh.gif ), That Sound, and Mellow.
Trick Member
Trick Member

21. PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dj Sway wrote:
TL wrote:
good point but everyone sucks at freestyle these days so why still try. i'd rather watch a bunch of really good techers play some hard songs then some really stupid looking freestylers

That's like saying "everyone hates asparagus, so why try it?"

ITG, DDR, and all other Bemani are games.
Games are supposed to be fun.
If I put money into a machine, I expect to be able to play it however I want to.
If you don't like it, then don't watch.
Problem solved.

Anyway...

I'm working on some FS routines for Bubble Dancer (inflatable duck floatee anyone? laugh.gif ), That Sound, and Mellow.

actually, it isnt really like that. haha. nice try though
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
TL
Trick Member
Trick Member

22. PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah, if your good at freestyle i'd like to watch you. so make sure your good when i do watch you or else you will be made fun of like i do to everyone else.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
JimTheFly
Staff Member
Staff Member

23. PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And people wonder why there aren't more people who get into freestyle anymore. *sigh*

TL, it's interesting... you're comparing "really good" techies to "really stupid" freestylers. Wow, no wonder one would win out over the other. Me personally, I'd much rather watch Bruce Leroy freestyle than watch some uncoordinated lout fail a 1-footer. Of course, then again, that's watching "really good" instead of "really stupid". So it works both ways. There's good FS and bad FS, just like there's good tech and bad tech. So comparing things the way you did is like comparing a shiny apple to a rotten orange. Hmmm... I wonder which one people would choose?

And you know, I've seen some bad freestyle in my time. But it sure as hell takes a lot more guts to TRY and freestyle and to do it badly than it does to stand around and ridicule it, laugh at it, make fun of it, etc.

So... Everyone sucks at freestyle now. Whereabouts would this be? Because there are places where freestyle's just not gotten big at all, some where it's dropped off, and some where it's been non-existent. And I'm guessing that we're talking about tournaments here, since that's when you can truly tell what the caliber of freestyle ability is in a given area.

Still, I get the feeling that you're already set in this mode of thinking and there really isn't going to be much that can be said or done to change that, so pretty much I think that arguing it past this will probably just be beating a dead horse. So I don't know what else to say.

However, on a slgihtly different, and much lighter topic.... Sway: That idea for Bubble Dancer is making me wonder if I should cringe, cry, bust out laughing, run in fear, or any combination thereof. E1.gif Mellow should be something interesting and different as well. As for me, I'm working on my Torn routine. Been putting the pieces together earlier and it's coming along pretty nicely, I must say. Now I just need to find out what the minimum number of steps they'll allow for an edit is. Last tourney I was in that had edits required 100 steps for an edit. :-\ Plus, I need to find out what the proper speed will be for the little visual twist I've got planned. (Now I just need to figure out when to try it out at the arcade without clueing too many people into what I'm doing. :-P )

Co-Host: Video Game Zombies Podcast
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
J. S. Mill
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

24. PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimTheFly wrote:
However, there is one thing that I've found that makes it all worth it: If you go up and you do an okay job playing tech, when you're done, what happens usually? Nothing. But if you go and you just do an okay job of freestyling, you'll end up getting responses and remarks from people. The feedback from others is something that, in my opinion, makes it quite worth the time it takes to make a good routine.

Not to nitpick Jim, I respect your point, but you should come to one of our tournaments.

When Mike (LILQ) finished a couple of his matches he got a long standing ovation and some hand shakes and autograph requests. I think he got quite a bit of feedback.
Trick Member
Trick Member

25. PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i did make a bad little example but most freestylers these days suck really bad. unless its a comedy routine usually they are funny. so my example would be pretty legit assuming most freestylers suck, which is pretty much true today. dont get me wrong though, theres good freestylers out there, but usually those good freestylers are the only good freestylers, get what i mean?
JimTheFly
Staff Member
Staff Member

26. PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiba, I was just talking about normal arcade play on any given day, not a tournament. Tourneys are different matters. Two quick things (before I think I'll head out and check out ITG2. E10.gif ):

1) Even around the area I'm in, which is very tech-oriented, it seems to be the freestyle routines at tourneys that get the most response. The only times I've really seen any kind of major reaction from the crowd with tech has been the HUGE tourneys for the most part (e.g.: DigitalLife back in October), but even then, Freestyle actually ended up being a bigger draw as far as the number of people who would be watching at any given time. When I was up there, I would put the crowd at at least 150-200 people easy, quite possibly more. Tech had a good draw, but not quite the same as FS (although it did end up having the much better prize, IIRC).

2) I've found, however, that the people who get, for lack of a better term, fan-ism, are tech players, especially lately. People seem to want to meet JSB, MegamanX, Yasu, etc. much more than they want to meet freestylers. I've heard a lot of people talking about wanting to meet tech players who are across the country, but in the last couple years, I've only heard one person who's really expressed an interest in wanting to meet a freestyler (and that person isn't even that much of a DDR player). So I guess the interest level for tech players seems to be a decent bit higher.

TL, I'm definitely not going to argue that, because, honestly, I've seen a lot of bad freestyle. Granted, I've seen a lot of good freestyle as well, but in a large tournament setting, it seems that the bad ones do outnumber the good ones, and the only times you seem to get the good being in the majority is when there's a smaller tourney with a number of good FSers at it (there was one around here last summer with only 6 of us in it... between the 3 of us who placed, we've won about 30 tournaments and the other three have all placed in tournaments before and I know one of them has won a tourney, and a second one I think MIGHT have.) So it's something that unfortunately is experiencing social entropy: The better players are fading out and there's not as many newer players stepping up, at least as far as I've seen. Hopefully that's something that might be different in other areas, but so far, I haven't found out much to disprove that. :-\

And now I run, been talking too long here. Later (and I'll have an ITG2 FS report later, hopefully. E1.gif )

Co-Host: Video Game Zombies Podcast
Nicx
Trick Member
Trick Member

27. PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i actually have been thinking about this, my favorite songs are hip hop jam, and utopia, and i think i could pull something together for those songs.
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger
Dark Hogosha
Trick Member
Trick Member

28. PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seriously hope there's some sort of freestyle revival with ITG. One of the things that drew me into DDR so much was seeing vids back in the day (almost 4 years ago) of freestyle routines by DJ 8-Ball, Clark Kent, Dan Dariram, and a few others. Yeah, with freestyle, you got a LOT of bad, but you notice a bad dancer more than a bad tech-stepper.

So yeah, if there's a freestyle revival with this, I'll go nuts. It's all I've wanted for nearly two years now. And by "freestyle", I hope it isn't taken as "handplants and kneedrops o'plenty". E15.gif
"...to leave the world a little better; whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is the meaning of success." - Emerson
TL
Trick Member
Trick Member

29. PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yaeh you notice a bad dancer instead of a good techer more because of how much the bad dancer sucks so everybody makes fun of him/her and laughs in him/her face and points fingers even talks s'hit
Thomas Hobbes
Trick Member
Trick Member

30. PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, a lot of people try to FS on ITG. It doesn't work though. It just seems that ITG is more of a tech based game, as the people who developed/created it are tech players.

It was sort of catered to more of the tech crowd. I believe that ITG2 will fix this with the addition of Novice Mode and more songs that are "FS friendly".

| Pics | Play-Asia |
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: