Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

BM & Controller
Goto page Previous  1, 2  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Other Bemani and Music Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hooded__paladin
Trick Member
Trick Member

20. PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait...
I believe BM1 machines were 640x480, or maybe less. BMIII is definitely more. And BM IIDX is hooked up to an HDTV. It's definitely untrue that early IIDX's were powered by a PS1-like board. I would have dismissed those statements as sarcasm except for your verdict at the end, but instead I'm just confused.

And, Hellacious, you've got it backwards. He's saying that IIDX is worse than III because it came before, not better.
View users profile Send private message
davidbrit2
Trick Member
Trick Member

21. PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to what's on System 16, the Twinkle hardware (BM IIDX) is based heavily on the PS1 hardware.

The Firebeat hardware (BM III), on the other hand, uses a nice fast PowerPC chip, and an equally nice 3DFX graphics chip. The BM I hardware (DJ-Main) isn't nearly as impressive as either of these, obviously.

Yes, IIDX is hooked to an HDTV, but it doesn't use any progressive scan whatsoever, and doesn't use interlacing, so you've got about 250 lines on screen.

BM I uses a 30 KHz monitor, so it's probably something like 640x480. I think it's no different from BM III, but I'd have to see some good screen grabs to make a sane comparison there.

Last edited by davidbrit2 on Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
Andy the happy mod-man
Trick Member
Trick Member

22. PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, the Firebeat hardware is much more in the power than the old Twinkle hardware.

But I can see why people would have thought IIDX hardware was more superior. Overlay anything onto DVD movies and it just looks better.

But when you take away the background movies, which are essentially just video stream from a DVD players - which any Bemani hardware could probably do - IIDX is actually not much of a step up from BMI.

Which makes one wonder just WHY Konami never used BMIII in conjunction with a DVD overlay. I've got a feeling BMIII would still be made, played, and very much talked about if FMV was added.

Another mention is that IIDX could have probably been done on the PSX, if not for the DVD quality video. When you just look at the gameplay, it's really not that pretty - it's quite evident that the movies definitely make the game when it comes to IIDX.
Trick Member
Trick Member

23. PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Say NO to Bosses] wrote:
Another mention is that IIDX could have probably been done on the PSX, if not for the DVD quality video. When you just look at the gameplay, it's really not that pretty - it's quite evident that the movies definitely make the game when it comes to IIDX.

That's the conclusion I've come to as well. The PS1 just doesn't quite have the capability to play FMV while running that sort of game - it's just far too multimedia intensive, and a lousy 2MB RAM isn't going to cut it. The PS2 has to load the entire song into RAM so it can stream the video while playing.

Last edited by davidbrit2 on Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
hooded__paladin
Trick Member
Trick Member

24. PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidbrit2 wrote:
Yes, IIDX is hooked to an HDTV, but it doesn't use any progressive scan whatsoever, and doesn't use interlacing, so you've got about 250 lines on screen.

OOOHHHH okay.
View users profile Send private message
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Other Bemani and Music Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: