Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Drummers in DDR= pwnage
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
|-|ysteria
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Drummers in DDR= pwnage Reply with quote

How many of you out there are drummers? DDR basics kinda came naturaly to me becasue i'm a drummer, have ben for 8 years. And in a strange way DDR is kinda like reading Drum tab

http://www.mxtabs.net/tabs.php?path=Drums,t,9331,Taking+Back+Sunday,You%5C%0De+So+Last+Summer,96667
^that is an example of tab if you don't know what it is

If you take a sheet of tab, turn it sideways and read it from top to bottom, that's basicly DDR. I was just wondering if anny of you were dummers and if you also thought of it that way
Basic Member
Basic Member

1. PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been drumming for about 6 years now, and it definately helps in my ddr. Not so much in reading the arrows as just getting the rythym right. I can PA pretty well. 8 heavy AAA's, my best being twilight zone (yeah yeah, it's on a console, but 1x speed), and I've only been playing for 8 months. Thank you double-bass pedal.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
GR
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject: I used to............ Reply with quote

I used to be a marching percussionist, but I think all instruments should help you in DDR. The major things that instrument-playing have helped me with are things like counting beats and counter beats, triplets(in all their forms), and just being able to feel and understand music better.
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not only drummers, all musiciuns really. at least on the bass end, idk for sure, but im a bass player, and i do DDR good as well

View users profile Send private message Send email
tempest6
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: DrumMania & DDR?... Reply with quote

Believe me: If you can play DDR, then you can play DrumMania. If you can play DrumMania, then you can play Guitar Freaks. If you can play those games, then you should have no trouble playing those other music games like Beatmania II DX, Crackin' DJ, EZ2Dancer, EZ2DJ, Samba de Amigo, Shakka de Tambourine, Pop 'N Music, Para Para Paradise, that Taiko drum game, KeyboardMania, and many others more. Is that a trip or what? Please reply, over! Thanks!

tempest6
View users profile Send private message Send email
randompassingGerudo
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, of course reading music and playing instruments would help you in DDR. You learn to get the rhythms down and knowing the time signiture helps too.
Jazz Samurai
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: I used to............ Reply with quote

GR wrote:
I used to be a marching percussionist, but I think all instruments should help you in DDR. The major things that instrument-playing have helped me with are things like counting beats and counter beats, triplets(in all their forms), and just being able to feel and understand music better.

Quite true.

I've played trumpet for 10 years, and learning to march on beat for marching band was a great warmup for the DDR greatness that would find me years later.

www.jazzsamurai.org
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger
Babbito-kun
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played Guitar for a couple years and before that I played trumpet, i think getting to actually "hear" music, like all the different parts helps you in DDR, plus being able to follow the beat is also helpful happy.gif
akm3
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, 100% being a drummer helped me become better at the game immediately. Knowing how to count/read the arrows (it is similar to reading drumset music) AND already having independant motion of the arms/legs with good foot/eye coordination.

I played various percussion instruments for 9 years and current play piano.

-Allen
[DMB]ziggy4719
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

Been playing Set for 1 and half years biggrin.gif
VziA2
Basic Member
Basic Member

10. PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four years here, being a drummer (or any type of musician) makes it a lot easier to recognize the more complex rhythmic patterns.
View users profile Send private message
sherl0k
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

11. PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VziA2 wrote:
complex rhythmic patterns.

Quite the vocabulary you have on you.

Hey guys, don't you think it's kinda obvious that playing an MUSICal instrument will make you better at a MUSIC game?

[quote:ed1f6848c5=\\\"jaeness\\\"]get your change from obama, he apparently has tons of it.[/quote]
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
Powerslave60
Basic Member
Basic Member

12. PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've been a drummer for over 9 years now. And I always tell people "If you're a drummer, you'll understand the mechanics of the game."
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
Vweltin
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a drummer, and let me say:

DDR has helped me drum, and vice versa. biggrin.gif
View users profile Send private message
Jeff's Bawls
Vivid Member
Vivid Member

14. PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well uh....dunno about some instruments. I've yet to notice accelerated improvement since I started playing trumpet, but oh well. The only thing I gained from that was the reading part. I used to just flail my feet on 1/16's, now I understand they're exactly twice as fast as 1/8's. *OOOOOOHHHHHHHHH* ...and yes that took me a while to figure out.
Trick Member
Trick Member

15. PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doreguard wrote:
not only drummers, all musiciuns really. at least on the bass end, idk for sure, but im a bass player, and i do DDR good as well

Agreed, I've been playing string bass for 8 years, which is mostly rhytm section anyways...and it definetly helps/helped me.
Trick Member
Trick Member

16. PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play Tuba and Tenor Sax, and all of my music playing had DEFINATELY helped me with my DDR. Especially marching band, I love music, always have and I always will.

I bbbbead wackwards. I ggggggget mords wwwwixed up!
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger
ArchDuke
Trick Member
Trick Member

17. PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenor/Bass Trombone for 9 years here.

Yes, know how to read and understand music helps, especially with subdivisions and complex patterns. Whenever I introduce any music-type person to DDR, I have someone else play a song and I speak out the rhythms, ex: "1...2..and..3...4..." and so forth. They all just go "....oh! I get it now" and they get up to 5 footers their first time playing. All DDR is is accurately stepping in time to music. Marching band on speed with no instruments (or in my Mikeneko Rock FS, some instruments E7.gif ).
Trick Member
Trick Member

18. PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play the tuba and am starting to learn how to play bass guitar, which I'm told is easy for tuba players to pick up, and since in most marches the tuba simply plays on the beat I have a terrefic sence of time. MB helps to train you how to move your feet in time with the music.
Trick Member
Trick Member

19. PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play the drums. And trust me, drums have the wierdest patterns. Has anyone ever played a song called "First down march" on drums? 357 hits on the drums in about a minute. I'm a lot better at DDR now, after drums. By the way, I play marching drums, So I only do one istrement at a time.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: