Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

DDR in the apartment

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sugamama
Basic Member
Basic Member

0. PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: DDR in the apartment Reply with quote

I just got DDR Ultramix for the XBOX and that game is freakin awesome! However I do have one slight problem. I live in a apartment on the third floor. I dont want my tenants to bang on the ceiling when I do a jump move. Is there any way I can execute my my dance moves without irritating my tenants? I don't know of any arcades around my area and really do love my DDR. BTW ill be online tonight as silvergear. C-ya there!
View users profile Send private message
starcrafta
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could ask the people below you if they're okay with noise (you could always throw in some money). It might be possible to arrow stomp on a bed or something but that might not help.
View users profile Send private message Send email
GepettoZHog
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEFINATELY crank up the bass laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
They love that...

Try positioning the DDR AWAY from the center of the room (more give to the floor). Also, try to play in the early afternoon, maybe 1-3, when no one will be trying to sleep.
BreenTheMachine
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually lived with my mom in a third floor apartment when I played DDR about a year ago and then I moved this past august and again I live on a third floor apartment. From my experiance, at both places, there has been no problem. (even if I do max 300 on heavy lol) I am respectful not to play during times when they might be sleeping. I dread the day I get an eviction warning, but dont think I will get one. I dont know how it sounds below me, but it cant be that bad since I play all the time.
View users profile Send private message Xbox Live Gamertag
Guderian
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kept my dorm buddies on the floor below awake w/ some good ol' MaxX Unlimited. They only joked about it though, because the dorm was incredibly noisy at all hours even when I wasn't playing. Make sure you aren't knocking down paintings downstairs...I really hope you solve the noise problem, few solutions...
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
SLdK
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i live in an apartmnet also and i knock down my neighbor's paintings

what i do is just hold back alot...im assuming that if u just got ultramix that ur not at a level of play where u break some stuff cuz back when iw as a noob i had no problems..now im better and i have too many disturb.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in an apartment, so I also know your plight. I've actually taken several measures to counter the noise as much as I can.

1) Buying hardwall -- or whatever it is -- and putting it on the floor, with DDR mat atop it. Extra thickness between floor and pad means more muffled noise.

2) Moving the pad to a corner of the room. It puts you near the support beams, so there is much more support on the floor and less noise overall.

Given I have yet to try something like MaxX Unlimited, Heavy, on it ... but it's helped greatly with other stuff. I also make sure to do this when my downstairs neighbor is gone, since he also goes to the college I go to.
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also from what I seen, it helps to be a tad bit familiar with the game to help with noise reduction. For some reason, newer players find it necessary to stomp the hell out of the platform/pad, as opposed to just tapping on it. You can easily keep rhythm with a gentle tap, as opposed to slamming down on the pad.

I also have adopted the "barely move" method where I use most of my leg muscles to look as if I don't move my feet up/down. It works for any song that is 7/8 feet or less, and is a very good way to sound discreet.

Although, these ideas are just secondary to what most others have said, after moving the mat to a more structurally sound area, and playing at certain times of the day.
View users profile Send private message
DDRShampoo
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Been there... Reply with quote

The best advice that I can give you is Complete Honesty. Tell your neighbors, especially the one living directly under you, about DDR. Explain how it's a Video Game that requires the players to do a lot of physical activities. Note the jumping, above average volume, and the remote possibility of friends routiness. Be curtious. Let them know that if you are disturbing them in any way, you'll fix the problem. Even consider the idea of offering them your phone number. They most likely won't take it, but will appreciate the offer. Plus, they'll find you to be a nice tenant and will probably be even more leniant on you for being so polite to come to them with the situation.

Just last 01/17 I had my 20th birthday party. I had over 15 people in my little 2 bedroom apartment. Well, I have a 60" Tele with a LOT OF BASS. Plus I know how routy my friends can get, and I knew it was going to go into the AM hours. I let the neighbors that lived to the sides and directly above me know about the party. They appreciated me going to them. Letting them know ahead of time about the party. I didn't hear one peep out of them though I know they had to hear more than a "peep" from me.

Good luck on the situation. DDR is actually the reason for asking for a Lower Floor Apartment. I doubt you want to move all because of DDR. E15.gif Just consider the power of honesty. E13.gif
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: