Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

RedOctane Metal Pad Inquiry Update

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tha DDR Playa
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 5:05 am    Post subject: RedOctane Metal Pad Inquiry Update Reply with quote

Everyone who has purchased a RO Metal Pad before they ran outta stock, could you please, PLEASE PLEEEEEEEEZE let me know how the pad is working(if they're still intact). I'm trying to get some MUCH needed insight on the RO before they get them back in stock for me to buy. I'd rather have and RO than the CF right now becuz of my current cashflow. SO everyone who reads this, and has an RO Metal pad right now, could you, out of the kindness of your DDR playin' hearts give me your insights, reviews and updates of your Pads currently. I'd GREATLY appreciate it. Thanx and dance on playaz!!
View users profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
dudabo
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my 2 for about a month now.

I'm a 9-10 foot heavy player and these guys have NEVER let me down. No ghost steps still, no sticky arrows.

About 5 basic AAA's later I can certainly say that the timing and responce of the pads is impecable.

The pad also looks badass. VERY badass. My one qualm with the pad is that its still fairly flush...something that you will get used to. My first hour with the pad had me cursing and screaming at the pad for all the misses on the screen, till I looked down at my feet and saw how really off I was. When transitioning from a soft pad to a hard pad the first thing you will notice is how unforgiving a metal pad is in comparison to a soft one E1.gif . EVERY one of my friends agree that this pad kick's your buttocks at first because your used to that little give and extended hit zones on the soft pads. Regardless, myself and all of my friends scores has improved greatly on these guys and playing in the arcade feels much more natural.

The white sticky stuff on the pads is a PAIN IN THE buttocks TO TAKE OFF. Took me about 30 mins to get it off both of my pads.

They look beautiful, STILL play awesome, dont move at all when playing, and my doubles game has improved 10 fold since owning these guys.

At $199 each, you aren't going to get a better deal on a metal pad. I HIGHLY reccomened them.
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger
Tha DDR Playa
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx a bunch dude, that really helped towards my decision. E1.gif Also I'm not looking forward to the misses and all, but like u said it's a part of the transition. Thanx again
cristian989
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ddrfreak.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=71177
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
Tha DDR Playa
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else has any reviews and recommendations?
spoonsman
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It feels alot like the arcade, except slightly more shallow. Much more like the arcade than a CF. I actually prefer to play on it more than a CF (which I've had extensive playtime on).

When the lights work and you turn off the lights in the room, it makes a cool effect. The bottom of the pad is completely covered in some nontick material which really restricts pad movement (even during active songs). The pad has absolutely no bend and it seems like the frame itself will last for a long time.

Despite all the good stuff, I've had mine for about a month of heavy play now and am starting to see some problems. Here, I'll use BBCode.
  1. The lights only work intermittently
  2. When the rest of the lights do work one of the lights doesn't light (I assume its permanently broken).
  3. I've started to get phantom misses on my back arrow every couple of songs
  4. The grip stuff on the bottom is starting to chunk/peel off
  5. Between the up arrows and the diagonal arrows there is a thin strip of vertical metal seperating the two arrows. One of the strips has bent over in one spot.
  6. Sometimes the pad will stop responding altogether and I'll have to unpug it and plug it back in.
  7. I'm really starting to notice the limits of a 60 day warrenty

I'm just hoping that it is my pad that is really screwy and that all the pads aren't like this, because I'm going to email RO right now and see if I can get this replaced. After only a month of use the pad should not be in condition like this. Long-term reliability is the main thing CF has going for it. I know a guy that has had his CF for 7 months, and a guy that just bought a brand new one. The 7 month old one is in as good a condition as the brand new one.

If I had proof that RO stayed in good condition longer, I would recommend it hands down. Unfortunately it doesn't seem as durable as it should be, so I'd say be wary.
View users profile Send private message
Tha DDR Playa
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx Spoons, it sux to know that all pads aren't better than the ones made before the other. But I will use that warranty though. Hope you get yours replaced!
Guderian
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spoonsman wrote:

The grip stuff on the bottom is starting to chunk/peel off

I'm having a bit of that in one corner, and I haven't had mine for as long. Though its still good in all other respects. Caution, heed the warning, play with shoes. You don't want to get hurt halfway through breaking a new record.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
Tha DDR Playa
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I made up my mind, I'm gonna go wit tha RO. WHENEVER THEY GET THEM IN FREAKIN' STOCK!! Not becuz of my cashflow, but becuz of RO's rep. When I get some mo' endz, I'll get tha CF. Dance on y'all!!
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: