Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Memory Card FAQ v1.4 - Link Data Converter v1.0 Released!
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cutriss
Staff Member
Staff Member

0. PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 12:56 pm    Post subject: Memory Card FAQ v1.4 - Link Data Converter v1.0 Released! Reply with quote

I've removed the FAQ from the forums, now that we publish it directly to the website. This way, I don't have to worry about incongruity between versions.

Click here to read the FAQ.

Sentient Mode is capable...

Last edited by Cutriss on Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:08 am, edited 19 times in total
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
Ni-ban Neko
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a teensy bit off-topic, but I'm going to let it fly anyway.

Let's say I made a DWI for a song that's on Extreme - we'll say V, for simplicity's sake. I don't guess there's an application or some easy method for converting a DWI to something a memory card would take, aside from recreating it when the JP home version of Ex comes out?
Cutriss
Staff Member
Staff Member

2. PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's theoretically possible, but there's the issue of the DWI delay factor, since a converter would have no easy way to know if the delay value is system-reliant, a hodgepodge for the edit (IE - a delay value that is excessively long just to insert an artificial delay for the steps themselves), or just an adjustment for the ripping of the MP3.

View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
Isaru
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to the dex drive, I don't have one and I don't think they are even sold anymore. Do you know if I would be able to use one of those ps2 sharkport/X-port devices?
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
Cutriss
Staff Member
Staff Member

4. PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, they're relatively easy to find on eBay. I just checked, and there are seven DexDrive listings right now.

I recommend the DexDrive, primarily because PSXGameEdit is built specifically for it and other PS1 memory card kits. I can understand people not wanting to track one down just for this though...and it does require a serial port, which means that some newer PC owners would be out of luck...

I don't have a PS2 SharkPort, so let's try this - Take a PS1 file, copy it to your PS2 memory card, and use the SharkPort to extract it. Does it treat it exactly as a PS2 save (.xpo extension)?

Sk1p
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great FAQ. thumb.gif

You might want to put that Dexdrive eBay link in the FAQ.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
Cutriss
Staff Member
Staff Member

6. PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skip-a-dee-doo-dah wrote:
Great FAQ. thumb.gif
Thanks. biggrin.gif
skip-a-dee-doo-dah wrote:
You might want to put that Dexdrive eBay link in the FAQ.
Done and done. E1.gif

SoN o ToM
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that with 8th mix you cannot save all the data for everysong onto 1 memory card, but is it like that with 7th mix also or can u save every song data onto 1 memory card?
Staff Member
Staff Member

8. PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoN o ToM wrote:
I know that with 8th mix you cannot save all the data for everysong onto 1 memory card, but is it like that with 7th mix also or can u save every song data onto 1 memory card?
I was discussing this with Catastrophe a little while back. Last I remember, there's a limit on the number of records that you can store on the memory card, and that limit is 176. As I recall, this was individual records, be they for single or double, regardless of difficulty...So a score for Kakumei on Single Trick would take up one slot, and a score for MaxX Unlimited Double Heavy would take up one slot, giving you 174 slots.

In thinking about it since, however, I've looked at my own Link Data save. As near as I can tell, there's actually space for 176 *songs*, not records. There's enough space in the area where the scores are stored such that all six score pairings could be stored with room to spare (Light/Standard/Heavy on Single/Double). This is far from official, though, and other people know better than me. This is actually something I'm going to be looking at in detail in the near future, so unless someone else posts here with more accurate info than what I have, I'll probably go figure it out myself.

At any rate, if the answer is 176 *records*, then no, there is not sufficient space to store records for all the songs in Max2. If the answer is 176 *songs*, then the answer is "Yes". Max2 has around 130 songs available in Normal game mode.

SoN o ToM
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you
Staff Member
Staff Member

10. PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated with Paint and Internet Ranking Data.

Also, I learned some thingies about 2nd/3rd Mix Arcade. I'll have to get my mitts on a copy of 2nd ReMix sometime. Unfortunately, I won't be getting my hands on a 2nd or 3rd Mix arcade machine with memory card slots anytime soon. frown.gif I'll have to coordinate with someone who goes to Dance Beat Arcade. biggrin.gif

Isaru
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Isaru on Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
Cutriss
Staff Member
Staff Member

12. PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it depends on what you want to do.

In theory, the SharkPort and X-Port both work with PS1 memory saves, if for no other reason than the fact that you can copy PS1 saves to the PS2 memory card. However, they use different file extensions, and most likely, different file formats.

In theory, it would not be difficult at all for someone to write a tool that converts .GME saves to .XPS (X-Port save) and back. All you need to do is to have both a DexDrive and an X-Port/SharkPort (they're pretty much the same device), and diff the two files, and write software that recognizes one and converts to the other.

However, the fact that I can't find a tool to do this anywhere, and the fact that the X-Port and SharkPort have only been on the market for a little over three or four months, lends me to believe that it's either more difficult than meets the eye, or just not an interesting project to anyone.

I might see if I can pick up a SharkPort on the cheap and look at this problem myself.

EDIT - Well, I've just bought one on eBay, so I guess we'll find out in a couple of weeks, eh? biggrin.gif

Phrekwenci
Administrator
Administrator

13. PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutriss, this is good stuff. If you contacted me, I would have stickied this sooner.
Staff Member
Staff Member

14. PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phrekwenci wrote:
Cutriss, this is good stuff. If you contacted me, I would have stickied this sooner.
's okay. I didn't want to ask. E1.gif

LaikaComeHome
Basic Member
Basic Member

15. PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:58 pm    Post subject: asdf Reply with quote

I love using my memory card(s) at the arcade, much fun.

I have a question, I have 3 or so memory cards I use for DDR edits and I wanna know if I put both my memory cards in but play on on singles play will the machine read both memory cards and let me play edits from both of them?

One more, the owner of the machine near me with memory card slots purchased a new flash rom card (or something like that) and put it and can store edits, but the owner has to be there to save them to the card.Is there anyway you know of to get around this?
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cutriss
Staff Member
Staff Member

16. PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: asdf Reply with quote

LaikaComeHome wrote:
I love using my memory card(s) at the arcade, much fun.

I have a question, I have 3 or so memory cards I use for DDR edits and I wanna know if I put both my memory cards in but play on on singles play will the machine read both memory cards and let me play edits from both of them?
I'm pretty sure this is not the case. I haven't tested it myself, but if you're not playing in Versus or Doubles, I don't think the game will even bother to read the slot corresponding to the unused player. Next time I go to an arcade with MC slots, I'll give this a whirl.
LaikaComeHome wrote:
One more, the owner of the machine near me with memory card slots purchased a new flash rom card (or something like that) and put it and can store edits, but the owner has to be there to save them to the card.Is there anyway you know of to get around this?
As in, to get around this without his knowledge? That depends on the other arcade employees. Use of the Flash ROM card can be enabled/disabled in the operator menu, so if you have one of the other employees enable it while he's not around, then that works.

You should probably just talk to him and find out why he won't let people save edits at whim, though. The only way it can really be "exploited" is for players to save edits to the machine with an offensive title to it. Considering the trouble one would have to go through to do that sort of thing (and that you're only given eight letters to do it), I really don't think it'd be that much of a problem...And he could always inspect the edits list every morning during opening...It'd take less time than he probably puts in manually enabling/disabling the Flash ROM just so that he can verify that your edits are kid-safe.

Remember - It takes a willful act just to get to the edit menu, and on any given mix, there's from 100 to 200 songs on there...plus Single versus Double (playing Double will only allow Doubles edits to be displayed)...So if we're talking a Max2 machine, with one edit planted somewhere with a bad title, there's a 1:274 chance that people are going to stumble on it (neglecting song popularity). Within less than 24 hours, it'd be gone again, so it's just not that likely that it would bother anyone.

Hope that helps!

JW51886JS7
Basic Member
Basic Member

17. PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

question.

I dont have access to a Imported 5th mix. and i would like to create some edit steps to Rythem and Police. but i only have a US DDRMAX. is it possible to have a PSX mem card save a DDRMAX Edit file?

2nd Question

All i need to do is just stick a brand new PSX card into the machine (DDREX) and it will read it and set up a space for it?

last question

when i create and Edit onto the PSX card, all i have to do is just plug it into the machine and it will have that for me when i get to the song?

Thanks E1.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cutriss
Staff Member
Staff Member

18. PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JW51886JS7 wrote:
question.

I dont have access to a Imported 5th mix. and i would like to create some edit steps to Rythem and Police. but i only have a US DDRMAX. is it possible to have a PSX mem card save a DDRMAX Edit file?
Yes, but it'll be somewhat complicated. DDRMAX can export Edits to a PS1 memory card, but once you've done that, you'll still need to get the file on a computer so that you can do the Edit Hacking technique described above.
JW51886JS7 wrote:
2nd Question

All i need to do is just stick a brand new PSX card into the machine (DDREX) and it will read it and set up a space for it?
That depends on what you're asking. Are you trying to use Edit Data? If so, as long as you've done the Edit Hacking, you should be good.

If you're trying to use Link Data, then you need to create System New Link Data first, either by downloading it and using a memory card reader, or by using 5th Mix.
JW51886JS7 wrote:
last question

when i create and Edit onto the PSX card, all i have to do is just plug it into the machine and it will have that for me when i get to the song?

Thanks E1.gif
Provided you follow the instructions above. When you get to the song selection screen, hit left.gifleft.gif and the Edit Selection menu will open up, showing available edits. If you see yours there, then it worked.

Cutriss
Staff Member
Staff Member

19. PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOTICE FOR SHARKPORT/X-PORT USERS:

The SharkPort/X-Port does *not* work with PS1 saves, but I'm pretty sure I know why, and I'm working on fixing it.

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 1 of 22

Jump to: