Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Pad selection help?

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mogki
Basic Member
Basic Member

0. PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 8:38 am    Post subject: Pad selection help? Reply with quote

This is my first post here. I just played DDR for the first time a few days ago when my (high school) senior class went to the Great Escape and I saw a DDR machine there after I'd heard about it for the past... however long I've been hearing about the game. I pupmed loads of money into it and became addicted.

Forunately, when graduation came around yesterday, I accumlated a tidy sum of money from all the graduation cards I got, which means I now have a bit of money to spend on DDR stuff.

I've been looking around these boards since about friday, looking at the pros and cons of certain pads, checking out mods, etc. At first I was thinking of getting a RedOctance Ignition 2.0, since I saw on the soft pad discussion that DX style pads need little to no modding, and I figured if I got a cover for it and some plywood to put it on it would do well. Then I was thinking of getting a hard pad, so I could use my shoes, then I was thinking of getting a metal pad, but they're expensive. Then I thought if I modded a soft pad it might last longer than I thought becuase I weigh only about 128 lbs, or I could use my shoes with it, but then I thought... well, you get the idea.

So basically, I have out of the money I recieved, about $150 to spend on a pad. What do you think would be the best investment in a pad for this amount of money? I'm not against modding, but I don't feel entirely comfortable with it. BUt I may have to anway.

Sorry for the long post. E15.gif
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
.simgar
Basic Member
Basic Member

1. PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright..I say for now, spend about $50 bucks on two ddr pads. just get the $11.95 levelsix.com ones and mount them onto some plywood..the wood would cost you about 20 bucks for both things, at the most.
after that, save your money to either build your own ddr pad (hell yeah) or mod a metal one that you can get online.
of course it really doesn't matter if you build your own or not, but I've mounted my softies on plywood and after about two months they're still going okay (although I think I need to do something with em because some steps dont work quite as well)..on the other hand, my friend who didn't mod his two months ago is having major problems..oh well so sad for him huh E4.gif
building your own metal ddr pad would probably cost you about $150, maybe more, maybe less..depends on how cheap you can get stuff, and lasts a ton longer than any softies.
of course thats just my recommendation, a mounted softie works fine, even with real heavy songs (but don't hope to PC em..hehe) so get into ddr with softies, get better..and go from there

best of luck

"Today fades away, but now is forever..choose the left or the right, the up or the down..just don't be afraid to make the step."

too much ddr? nah..feet aren't broken yet..
*snap* aww crap...too much ddr...
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
gladjss88
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got 2 soft pads off e-bay for $40 last month. I play heavy songs and they're still great condition. I saw a deal on thier for 2 metal pads for $100. I would get something like that off e-bay. The only problem is, you have to be careful who you buy off of. Sometimes it's a nice reassurance if it's from a company. Hope this helps.

...Why does HTML never work for me?
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
gladjss88
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got 2 soft pads off e-bay for $40 last month. I play heavy songs and they're still great condition. I saw a deal on thier for 2 metal pads for $100. I would get something like that off e-bay. The only problem is, you have to be careful who you buy off of. Sometimes it's a nice reassurance if it's from a company. Hope this helps.

...Why does HTML never work for me?
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: