Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Soft pad to a Metal Pad?

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goliath01364
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 6:27 pm    Post subject: Soft pad to a Metal Pad? Reply with quote

I wasnt really sure where to put this (soft pad or metal pad) but anyways here it goes. I really dont want to hassel with soldering and the such to make a metal pad from a controler and I was wondering if it is possible to create a metal pad out of my existing soft pad. (Ie take the wiring out of the soft pad and put it into a metal frame) Any thoughts?
Andreq
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: Soft pad to a Metal Pad? Reply with quote

Goliath01364 wrote:
I wasnt really sure where to put this (soft pad or metal pad) but anyways here it goes. I really dont want to hassel with soldering and the such to make a metal pad from a controler and I was wondering if it is possible to create a metal pad out of my existing soft pad. (Ie take the wiring out of the soft pad and put it into a metal frame) Any thoughts?

I would say :

NO...

because the wiring of a softpad is so diferent from a "homebuild" metal pad and ... you clouldnt use the ugly, strange, always sticky, thing on the arrow of a softpad... like all f**** up lines crossing each other and a top one to make contact... you could probaly do something. but it will be the same prob of a softpad : sticky arrow, non responsitive arrow, etc.
and it will be a pain i the a** to take all those strange wire and put them in a metal (wood) frame.

Look at Riptide video of his homebuild metal pad. Its not hard to do that great looking pad... look in my signature E10.gif
Gogo
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest you don't build your only metal pad unless you have a good idea of what you're doing. It'd be hard to do. erm.gif That's why I intend to buy myself metal pads one day. It'd be cool to get a modified stage that was rewired to connect to a PSX system... phew.gif Dreamy...

Dance Masters: JPMax Single-Light. USMax Single-Light, Single-Standard. JPMax2 Single-Light.

Onis: USMax Lesson Oni. JPMax2 MoreLight, BeForU,
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
Plautus
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't work. The contacts in a soft pad are printed on plastic sheets, the contacts can be brittle and the sheet easily torn. The only think I think you could use from your soft pad in the making of a hard pad is the circuit board, but that would be the same as soldering a regular controller only you'd be losing a functional pad.

Why don't you try modding your soft pad like a lot of people around here are doing (that is, anchor it to some plywood and cover it with plastic to keep it flat and wrinkle-free). Consensus seems to be that it's more responsive and lasts longer than an unmodded soft pad, and it's also much cheaper than making your own hard pad. If you don't think you're up to making a hard pad, this is probably the route for you. Modding a soft pad is much harder to screw up E1.gif
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
.simgar
Basic Member
Basic Member

4. PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about just putting my soft pad in a metal frame like you were thinking...but I checked out some of riptide's videos and stuff and wow-it's actually really simple. (check the my home built metal DDR pad part IV for a link or somethin..)
however, with materials and stuff it costs a bit upward from $100, and if you don't have that kind of money, spend 10-15 bucks for a sheet of plywood, and tape that sucka down! E4.gif
thats what I did when I got my soft pads (about 1 and a half months ago) and the responsiveness is great...however, my friend who DIDN'T mod his soft pad is having problems E15.gif
my recommendation: look into building your own metal pad (its really easy..you only solder wire to screws, which is like using hot glue sorta, and you solder the wires into a PSX controller, which is also easy because people post diagrams on where to do it)
you probably don't want to do that right away..I'd say after about a month or so when you know that you want to pursue the art of DDR to make a metal pad..so just mod your softies so they last that long

best of luck

"Today fades away, but now is forever..choose the left or the right, the up or the down..just don't be afraid to make the step."

too much ddr? nah..feet aren't broken yet..
*snap* aww crap...too much ddr...
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
Goliath01364
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I decided to scrap the idea about turning my soft pad into a metal pad (thanks for the advice guys) I started building a metal pad similar to riptides around 3:00pm yesterday afternoon and by 8:00 I had everything built except the directional arrows, switches, and wiring the pad. Best of all It only cost me $11.00 for my 2" corner brackets, and my sheetmetal only cost me $4.00 for all my pieces. So by tonight my pad should be fully functional E1.gif Now I just have to find the damn ground on the controler. frown.gif
.simgar
Basic Member
Basic Member

6. PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe, thats good..course I haven't had much luck considering the home depot here has stuff WAY overpriced..
good for you for your metal pad..they're going to be awesome..E4.gif

"Today fades away, but now is forever..choose the left or the right, the up or the down..just don't be afraid to make the step."

too much ddr? nah..feet aren't broken yet..
*snap* aww crap...too much ddr...
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: