Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Mods and humility..

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Site Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Reverend
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 12:12 am    Post subject: Mods and humility.. Reply with quote

I know what you may encounter within the next page may be true but i don't know that so hah.. I just so happened to be in a conversation with someone and i kind of got the impersonation that __________ seemed to know very little humilty, which brings me to my next point, during your mod selection, i think you should have a "personality check" you all know.. I mean peoples posts could be very nice but what are they in true life?? A bunch of buttocks disgust.gif For instance, Say__________ were to in all of his/her posts say flattering or uplifting , or etc. stuff but then he was saying that as a suck up or just a outer layer?? Wouldn't the mod picking people have made the wrong dicission? Back to the "personality check' thing.. I had an idea that you could have a secret screen name for AIM, Yahoo, IRC, MSNM, or whatelse there may be, after that you use that screen name and talk to the mod to be and see if they have a fair or decent personality. If not, conclude the chat, then go look for someone else. The main thing at that is that when you guys pick the mods, and I know I am a lowly member of DDRfreak, 1 in 30,000, but would you guys just make sure they have a humility(And if you have read this post and don't know what humility means, it means being humbe example: I am mod almighty bow down to me LOCK!!!!!!!!! for no reason, I hope if you didn't know what humility means, now you have a good understanding of it. See you learn something new everday?? One more poin to make in conclusion. Yu all should, if not already demote a mod if they really go Nazi. One more idea, make them sign a e-mail contract so-to-speak.

Thank you for all consideration in advance.

I can do whatever I want to be.

Last edited by The Reverend on Sun Jun 01, 2003 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message
Bringer of Death
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no clue what you just said. At all.

...I think what you're trying to say is that some mods are asshats in real life? Damn man, edit that please. Or at least clarify...?
You have asked for infinity and you don't deserve it.

View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
JustJeff
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

2. PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he means that there is a mod, who he does not want to point out at this time, who when locking posts, abuses their power. I *think*.

Well if you have a problem with a mod you can PM that mod or an admin. Mods still have to follow the rules just like everybody else.

I don't think you mean that a mod just locks a thread and that be the end of it. Most of us post why we lock the threads when we lock them.

Sometimes, it may seem like a mod is on a powertrip when in actuality, they are just being really strict about the rules. Some mods are not as orthodox as others and it just depends on their style of policing the boards.
View users profile Send private message Xbox Live Gamertag
IguanaGrrl
Staff Member
Staff Member

3. PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think that what is said in a single thread is a good representation of a person's entire personality?

Couldn't it be possible that there are different sides to a person?

Personally, I know that I can seem like a hardass bitch on the boards at times, but typically when it appears as such, it's because I'm cracking down on a particularly bad board. Sometimes you just have to be stern to get the point across. I've been called every name in the book over locking threads. Does it bother me? No. It's a part of the job. Do I have humility? Yes, I would say so. Others might call me a nazi, but my fellow moderators and the more seasoned members of the board understand.

I realize that this thread probably wasn't about me, but I wanted to give some ideas out for whoever this was directed to.
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IguanaGrrl -[TWG]- wrote:
Do you think that what is said in a single thread is a good representation of a person's entire personality?

Couldn't it be possible that there are different sides to a person?

Personally, I know that I can seem like a hardass bitch on the boards at times, but typically when it appears as such, it's because I'm cracking down on a particularly bad board. Sometimes you just have to be stern to get the point across. I've been called every name in the book over locking threads. Does it bother me? No. It's a part of the job. Do I have humility? Yes, I would say so. Others might call me a nazi, but my fellow moderators and the more seasoned members of the board understand.

I realize that this thread probably wasn't about me, but I wanted to give some ideas out for whoever this was directed to.

Heil IguanaGrrl, master of our peoples! Lead us to greatness oh evil one!

Naw, IG is good at silencing the masses. A+ in my book
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
Remy
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Mods and humility.. Reply with quote

So I'm confused:

Samurai of the sun wrote:
I mean peoples posts could be very nice but what are they in true life?? A bunch of buttocks disgust.gif For instance, Say__________ were to in all of his/her posts say flattering or uplifting , or etc. stuff but then he was saying that as a suck up or just a outer layer??

Quote:
And if you have read this post and don't know what humility means, it means being humbe example: I am mod almighty bow down to me LOCK!!!!!!!!! for no reason

Aren't these at odds with each other? The person posts flattering or uplifting stuff, but is an asshole in real life - and then "goes nazi" or whatever?

Quote:
Yu all should, if not already demote a mod if they really go Nazi. One more idea, make them sign a e-mail contract so-to-speak.

Don't you think that if a mod was "going Nazi", they WOULD be demoted due to all the complaints about them? (For future reference, it would help if you named the person you have a problem with, because none of us have any idea who you're talking about.) You're asking us to do something that there really hasn't been need for because all of our moderators have been fine upstanding people. Well, except Maple. E10.gif

And I'm not sure what you think goes on when there's a decision to pick a new moderator. It's not like one person just taps someone on the head and that's the end of it. They have to be nominated, and people have to vouch for them. Then there's generally a vote.

When I got tapped to be a moderator, I was on a conversational basis with a number of mods as it was. Who honestly needs a secret screenname to go randomly chat up a person?

Finally, the idea of an "e-mail contract" just makes it very hard to take any of this seriously. A contract for a volunteer position?
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Mods and humility.. Reply with quote

I, I hope if you didn't know what humility means, now you have a good understanding of it. See you learn something new everday??

Watch the condescending tone.

Quote:
One more poin to make in conclusion. Yu all should, if not already demote a mod if they really go Nazi.

That has yet to happen. Trust me, if it does, it WILL happen.

Quote:
One more idea, make them sign a e-mail contract so-to-speak.

It's called the FAQ. Everybody agreed to it when they signed up. Even you.[/quote]
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
The Reverend
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Mods and humility.. Reply with quote

Remy wrote:

Finally, the idea of an "e-mail contract" just makes it very hard to take any of this seriously. A contract for a volunteer position?

Well let us put it this way, If someone volunteers to be a "policeman" Are the main council going to say,"Okay we trust you go ahead and put people in jail"? And for the whole telling who it is part of your post Remy, if I told who it was, that would be in bad taste now wouldn't it?? I'll give you guys one hint who it is, it is a wench...

Blue Beefman
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I dont know about on here, but at these other forums I just insulted a Mod and that meant automatic banning, but I could flame ANYONE else...I just called him a ...doggy

EDIT: maybe hes using his mod powers on a personal level? idk man
CStarFlare
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

9. PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well let us put it this way, If someone volunteers to be a "policeman" Are the main council going to say,"Okay we trust you go ahead and put people in jail"?

Well, considering a policeman is someone who upholds and enforces the law, if someone is given that position, I would expect him to be given the means to uphold and enforce the law.

Of course, if someone just walked up the street and said "Hey, I wanna be a volunteer policeman." I wouldn't expect them to give the guy a gun and a badge just like that. But, you know, that doesn't happen here, either.

Quote:
I'll give you guys one hint who it is, it is a wench...

Weren't you just worried about "bad taste?" Like, half a sentance ago?

Calling someone a wench is a bad idea. Bad, as in, it's-against-the-rules bad. And it was a mod. That's almost like stealing from a policeman.

Last edited by CStarFlare on Sun Jun 01, 2003 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message Send email
Mr. Deus
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Mods and humility.. Reply with quote

Remy wrote:

Well let us put it this way, If someone volunteers to be a "policeman" Are the main council going to say,"Okay we trust you go ahead and put people in jail"?

People don't ask to be mods. They're asked to be mods by the high council of elderon, who live on the faraway mountains of Rah.

http://www.ddrfreak.com/phpBB2/faq.php#13
Bringer of Death
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to add to DEM's post:

If you're reading this post and you're not a mod, you never will be. End of story.

The Reverend
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, I am dissing a mod for personal reasons for something off of the board, Second off, I am not asking to be a mod. And I read the Faq DeM so there.

IguanaGrrl
Staff Member
Staff Member

13. PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you're bringing personal stuff from off the board onto the board?

Seems like this whole thread is rather pointless then.

Take your issues up with that person directly instead of dancing around the issue and most importantly, don't bring your drama here.
Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second off, I am not asking to be a mod.

I never said you were. I was adding to DEM's post.

If you've got a personal beef with a mod, why don't you PM/IM them and get things straightened out? I'm sure it's just a misunderstanding.

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Site Feedback All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: