Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Cobalt Flux Questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diabloslayer469
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 7:39 pm    Post subject: Cobalt Flux Questions Reply with quote

Has anybody's arrows cracked on their Cobalt Flux pad yet?

Last edited by diabloslayer469 on Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:32 am, edited 2 times in total
View users profile Send private message
redviper
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly doubt it unless they were playing with Golf spikes and wheigh a little over 350 pounds playing songs like Afronova (standard) with all of them jumps. (providing of course a 350 pound person can jump high enough to leave the ground. laugh.gif

Otherwise it is highly impossible.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website Xbox Live Gamertag MSN Messenger
diabloslayer469
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On cobalt flux's website they have a faq for cleaning the panels (and sensors?), and I want to know how many times do you guys have to clean it, and what happens if you don't?

Last edited by diabloslayer469 on Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total
Junpei!
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be purchasing one soon, but I asked some questions b4 I did.

The design for the pad is is metal on metal for the arrows. You press an arrow down it contacts with the metal and it registers a step. Well if you get to much dirt in there the two metals will connect creating ghost steping, or so I have gathered.
View users profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
diabloslayer469
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Junpei! wrote:
I will be purchasing one soon, but I asked some questions b4 I did.

The design for the pad is is metal on metal for the arrows. You press an arrow down it contacts with the metal and it registers a step. Well if you get to much dirt in there the two metals will connect creating ghost steping, or so I have gathered.

Do you guys have to clean it frequently?

Last edited by diabloslayer469 on Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total
Bean
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I clean mine about once every two weeks, but lately I'm starting to think that it's not the increasingly small ammount of dirt I'm finding, but rather the static charge that builds up between the arrow graphic paper on the sheetmetal and the lexan overlay that's causing my ghosting problems. The next time I experience ghosting, the only thing I'm going to do is remove the lexan, discharge the static, and put it back together.

And just to reiterate: So far, my pad is flawless when it's working properly. I'm one of the few CF owners that has had many problems with ghosting steps. However, I've been able to fix the pad by simply taking the arrows off and cleaning it each time. I'm still trying to pinpoint why the ghosting keeps coming back. I had promised a review of the CF pad on their website, but I think a review after owning the thing for only a day, or a week (like everyone seems to write) doesn't really tell a complete story of how the pad stands up to everyday use.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
ShadowRisae
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My CFs work fine and I've had them for nearly 6 months now. They've never had a ghost stepping problem. I keep them clean and they don't seem to have a static problem.
Bean
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowRisae: What kind of floor is your CF pad on? Carpet? (what kind?) Linolium? Concrete? Wood? Did you use the 4 'grip strips' that they included with the pad? (did they even include them 6months ago?) Did you put 3M Grip tape on the bottom of the pad? Are you using one of those office chair floor mats under your pad? When you take off the plastic overlay on an arrow, you get no static at all between it and the paper arrow graphic?
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
bio retard
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the carpet could cause a static problem.
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger
diabloslayer469
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bean wrote:
I clean mine about once every two weeks, but lately I'm starting to think that it's not the increasingly small ammount of dirt I'm finding, but rather the static charge that builds up between the arrow graphic paper on the sheetmetal and the lexan overlay that's causing my ghosting problems. The next time I experience ghosting, the only thing I'm going to do is remove the lexan, discharge the static, and put it back together.

And just to reiterate: So far, my pad is flawless when it's working properly. I'm one of the few CF owners that has had many problems with ghosting steps. However, I've been able to fix the pad by simply taking the arrows off and cleaning it each time. I'm still trying to pinpoint why the ghosting keeps coming back. I had promised a review of the CF pad on their website, but I think a review after owning the thing for only a day, or a week (like everyone seems to write) doesn't really tell a complete story of how the pad stands up to everyday use.

you make cleaning the arrows sound confusing. Is it really simple to clean them, and would you still recommend the pad even thought you have the clean the pad to prevent ghost steps?

Last edited by diabloslayer469 on Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total
Devil Warrior
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He recommends it because the pad is great when it is working properly, and acknowledges that he is one of a very small minority that has problems. I've had my pad 2 months, and I haven't had a single problem. I've cleaned it maybe twice since I've had it, which I know I should clean it more, the dirt is very visable, and it works just like when I first got it.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bean
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleaning the arrows is simple. Take the 4 screws out holding the top of the arrow, flip the arrow over, clean both sheetmetal contacts, make sure it's totally dry, replace the arrow and screws, and you're done. It takes about 2 minutes per arrow.

I've been super anal about cleaning it to try and determine if it's the dirt that's causing my ghosting. I'm leaning towards no, but I haven't come to a decision yet.

One of the great things about the CF pad is it's 6 month guarantee. If worse comes to worse, you always have the ability to just send the thing back.
diabloslayer469
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bean wrote:
Cleaning the arrows is simple. Take the 4 screws out holding the top of the arrow, flip the arrow over, clean both sheetmetal contacts, make sure it's totally dry, replace the arrow and screws, and you're done. It takes about 2 minutes per arrow.

I've been super anal about cleaning it to try and determine if it's the dirt that's causing my ghosting. I'm leaning towards no, but I haven't come to a decision yet.

One of the great things about the CF pad is it's 6 month guarantee. If worse comes to worse, you always have the ability to just send the thing back.

Are you saying that there are only two sheetmetal contacts? Can sombody post a pic of the bottom of the arrow and the sensor?

Last edited by diabloslayer469 on Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total
Devil Warrior
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the lexan and arrow simply sit on top of a piece of sheet metal, which sits on 4 round velcro things, which hold the metal on. Wire comes out of center of pad and connects to top piece of metal, when person steps on arrow, pushes down on center of metal, touches the bottom, triggers signal to the control box. I'd get a pic if I wanted to take my pad apart.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
shinobier
Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cleaning CF? darnn.. why bother? i had mine for about 7 weeks now and i've never cleaned once. of course it doesn't shining anymore but it still works like new. no ghosting or whatever problems you might say. but then again i have CF only shoe that i only wear when i play on my CF. =D
ShadowRisae
Trick Member
Trick Member

15. PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bean wrote:
ShadowRisae: What kind of floor is your CF pad on? Carpet? (what kind?) Linolium? Concrete? Wood? Did you use the 4 'grip strips' that they included with the pad? (did they even include them 6months ago?) Did you put 3M Grip tape on the bottom of the pad? Are you using one of those office chair floor mats under your pad? When you take off the plastic overlay on an arrow, you get no static at all between it and the paper arrow graphic?

It's wall to wall carpet. It's not that thin office carpet but it's still kinda low height-wise. I mean, I do have to have the vacuum set on the low setting when I clean. No, I didn't put the grip tape on and no I don't have anything else sitting underneath it. The only thing in the apartment that seems to ever get a static problem is me (I'm female with long hair) when I'm wearing slippers so I just have to de-static myself before I touch my CFs, just like I would before I touch any other electronics.

I think it might also help where I live. Static seems to occur more in dry areas. I live in MD really close to the Chesapeake Bay (and Marley Creek is literally right behind my apartment... it empties into the bay). Because of this, even when there's a drought the air doesn't really feel completely dry.
diabloslayer469
Trick Member
Trick Member

16. PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does the cobalt flux pad have sensors like the mymybox metal pad? Also, does some of the contact create residue on the sensor causing a complete circuit and triggering the button?

Last edited by diabloslayer469 on Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total
DuffMan_
Trick Member
Trick Member

17. PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, the CF's don't have sensors, they have sheet metal contacts. It triggers by metal hitting metal closing the circuit which registers a step. First you have your lexan, underneath is the arrow graphic glued down to a piece of sheet metal( or some type of metal). Then velcro at the corners and then connected to another piece of sheet metal. So the velcro holds the metal contacts apart until stepped on, making them hit. The reason for cleaning is two get the residue. If there is residue on the metal, it could hinder it by acting like an insulator.

The CF is real easy to clean. Windex on the lexan and just wipe the inside. If the arrow is registering without being stepped, if it does happen, just loosen the screws on the arrow. The CF can easily be adjusted by just screwing/unscrewing the screws.

If you have any more quesitons, go ahead and ask me.
Trick Member
Trick Member

18. PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm...i was thinking of getting a CF too, and i just have one question about cleaning it-lol, is there any easy way to break it while trying to clean it? because i know if there is, i will for sure manage to do it...
Trick Member
Trick Member

19. PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DuoDoRa wrote:
hm...i was thinking of getting a CF too, and i just have one question about cleaning it-lol, is there any easy way to break it while trying to clean it? because i know if there is, i will for sure manage to do it...

If you're not carful you coudl strip the screws or screw them down too tight. If you are careful to back turn them and make them seated, I don't really see how you break things. Possibly you might break the lexan if you are really ham fisted pulling the arrow off the velcro. And you should be gental with the contact wire attached to the arrow. I think mostly, it's pretty tough and if you're gentle the first time you open it you should have no problem later.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: