Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Please don't take this too offensivly...

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Site Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wardrich
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 5:32 am    Post subject: Please don't take this too offensivly... Reply with quote

Hi, i have just a few questions here...

I was just wondering why you guys lock so many topics?

If they were posted in the wrong section, just be polite and move it to the correct section for the user. It is an honest mistake. And, perhaps i am wrong in thinking this, but the mods seem to be a little grumpy. Perhaps it is because there are a lot of people like me who post in the wrong threads, but come on. If it is called Random chat, it should be random. Nothing should be locked, because it is Random, which means, anything goes.

On the other hand, i see how many people are regged here, and how frequently these boards are posted on, and i do have to give my congrats to you guys. You do a pretty damn good job!

-Richard-

Current Completion: Healing Vision
Difficulty: Light
Grade: B
--> Laugh if you want... I'm proud of it.

check my stuff out at wardrich.deviantart.com
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Phrekwenci
Administrator
Administrator

1. PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Please don't take this too offensivly... Reply with quote

wardrich wrote:
If they were posted in the wrong section, just be polite and move it to the correct section for the user.

A lot of topics do get moved. However, most of the are repeated from previous threads that could have first been searched for in the database. Those repeated threads are grounds for locking

Quote:
And, perhaps i am wrong in thinking this, but the mods seem to be a little grumpy.

No, just very sarcastic.

Quote:
If it is called Random chat, it should be random. Nothing should be locked, because it is Random, which means, anything goes.

Anything goes in good taste, or as long as there isn't flaming.
Staff Member
Staff Member

2. PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ddrfreak.com/phpBB2/faq.php

That is the DDR Freak bible.

We 'lock so many topics' because there are so many misplaced, poor quality topics. If we just moved the misplaced topics, the topic creator probably would not learn their lesson as to where that topic belongs.

Additionally, Random Chat is RANDOM chat. Many people mistake this for pointless chat. Also, if we have a forum specifically designed for a subject (i.e. DDR, Non-Bemani Games, Other bemani, etc.) there is no reason to have additional topics regarding the subject in random chat.

Also, things get locked for a variety of reasons - misplacement, flaming, inappropriate material.
Administrator
Administrator

3. PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much like IG said, Random Chat != Pointless Chat.

And, we used to move topics all the time, but then people thought "Why bother posting in the correct forum? It'll just be moved by a mod." And so we had even MORE misplaced topics, and our time was spent taking care of that instead of taking care of more important stuff (i.e. flaming). In locking a thread that's in the wrong place, it not only teaches the original poster where it should have gone, but it teaches everyone who looks at it where it should have gone, so they know not to post in the wrong place.
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On moving threads: The only time I will go out of my way to move a thread is when there's already been a large discussion going on (generally more than 12 posts) and it needs to get re-routed. Generally those posts are in a grey zone about where they belong anyhow.

On the topic of being polite, if you tried having to deal with the volume of threads to lock/move and people to warn on a daily basis, you'd be a little sarcastic too.

Generally, if it's someone's first post, or they're extremely new, I'll be polite about it.

If someone has Trick Status, on the other hand, they've been here for 30 days *and* posted more than 50 posts, which means they should know better.

On the topic of Random Chat...I don't read Random Chat. E10.gif
Staff Member
Staff Member

5. PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought being sarcastic was a fundamental component of being a mod anywhere E4.gif

Well, it explains the disappearance
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
wardrich
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the clarification guys.

-Richard-

Current Completion: Healing Vision
Difficulty: Light
Grade: B
--> Laugh if you want... I'm proud of it.

check my stuff out at wardrich.deviantart.com
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
NinJiTSu OLOL!O!1!1
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mods, PLEASE answer this question.
i dont want to start a new thread bcz of bandwidth, but,
my thread,"a DDR karaoke??! is this true?"
was locked without a sole response from a mod and there was no flame, and it WAS in DDR chit-chat.
E19.gif
View users profile Send private message
Phrekwenci
Administrator
Administrator

8. PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Optycle ~P l a t i n u m~ wrote:
mods, PLEASE answer this question.
i dont want to start a new thread bcz of bandwidth, but,
my thread,"a DDR karaoke??! is this true?"
was locked without a sole response from a mod and there was no flame, and it WAS in DDR chit-chat.
:baffled:

The thread in question is here.
Where an Administrator responded but the post had a bug. It says this:

rampage wrote:
There *was* a DDR/Karaoke hybrid. From what I understand there were only like 2 or 3 known to exist. There are many past posts about this, please reference one of them.

It was first talked about by you here (on May 9th) but, you seemed to think it needed it own topic later (on May 10th) even though they continued to discuss the matter further in the previous thread.

Not need for multiple threads of the same topic going on at the same time.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Site Feedback All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: