Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

My home built metal DDR pad (Part IV)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 339, 340, 341  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ddrhomepad
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 12:37 pm    Post subject: My home built metal DDR pad (Part IV) Reply with quote

Home Built Dance Dance Revolution Arcade Style Metal Pad

This is part IV of the thread. This will be the final thread no matter how long it gets because all the information may be lost if new threads are created. Unfortunately Parts I, II, and III weren't archived and all that info is gone.

Part I
Part II
Part III

Here is my arcade style metal pad with instructions on how to build it.

http://www.angelfire.com/d20/ddrhomepad/

Plus some other pad designs.

Here is Riptides metal pad design

http://www.wubros.com/ddrpad/

Here is Stoli's chrome pad design

http://home.comcast.net/~stoli16/ddr/

Here is Weston's DJ3 pad design

http://members.aol.com/tenk/ddr/intro.htm

Here is Devout's Stealth pad design

http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gtg161s/stealth/stealth.htm

Homebuilt pads FAQ written by Shadow_Dragonz

Arrows graphics created by Melo_d and hosted by JediJeff

Blue and Red Arrows

X and O buttons designed by JediJeff

X and O

Links to other arrow designs

More Arrow Links

Last edited by ddrhomepad on Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:29 pm, edited 9 times in total
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website
Blue Beefman
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome...IM the first....Hey can you add my pics to the beginning...I want some recognition...ahah j/k well you CAN if you want to...
Collector
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I can't wait for mine.... Also, How thick are the back bars on an arcade platform?
View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Sain
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Collector wrote:
Man, I can't wait for mine.... Also, How thick are the back bars on an arcade platform?

If you mean the bar I think it is 2" around and the metal back piece is
3 1/8"

DDRHomePad: If you want you could put the arcade dimensions picture I made up your website or something E4.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on my bluebeefman dance pad

Frame is done
5 metal panels are done

details on

bottom of the pad: 2 cut up mouse pads hot glued to the bottom (NO slippage). The screw heads are all sunk in so i wont have to worry about it catching on the carpet

side of pad:

just got done painting it black

i have all the supplies except a controller, cat5 wire and plexiglass. Im getting everything by the weekend so hopefully my pad will be done by next week! We shall see
Blue Beefman
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Collector wrote:

the bars are like 1 1/2 or 1 1/4 inches thick, I went to the store and 2" was WAY too big...
Xx PuNk tArD xX
Basic Member
Basic Member

6. PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 3:56 pm    Post subject: rip-tide Reply with quote

YO RIPTIDE
ur construction videos...chapter 3 and 5 arent werking for sum reason....please tell me when u fix this...thanx riiight.gif

Last edited by Xx PuNk tArD xX on Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
ZotTower
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody know anything about "rosin flux"? I've read that it REALLY helps solder to stick to stuff and you only need to apply a tiiiiiiiiiiny bit. Has anybody had any experience using this stuff? And if you have, what's it like?
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rosin Core solder is used for electrical work since it conducts electricity where some other solders do not. I highly recommend that you use it and that you pick the smallest size you can find to make things easy, also make sure you have a good low watt iron because a huge gun is a pain to use happy.gif Flux is used to clean solder as it welds to the metal so it sticks better you can go without it but it will sometimes help keep the contact with the circuit board good.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
ddrhomepad
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Sain.One"]
Collector wrote:

DDRHomePad: If you want you could put the arcade dimensions picture I made up your website or something E4.gif

Can you repost it in this thread? Then I'll add it to my site. Thanks.
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: rip-tide Reply with quote

Xx PuNk tArD xX wrote:
YO RIPTIDE
ur construction videos...chapter 3 and 5 arent werking for sum reason....please tell me when u fix this...thanx riiight.gif

The guy hosting the vids said that they're gonna be down during the daytime since he was getting so many hits for it. You can however download them after 7pm EST I believe. I don't have the money or connections to get them hosted permanently on a speedy site.

As far as lighting goes, I don't think I'll be able to light the panels off of the controller's power. The voltage is high enough, but the amperage is lacking. Normal LEDs will light on the controller's power, but Ultrabrights would be required to produce enough light. The increased brightness comes at the cost of more amperage. I'll be using an external power source. At the moment I'm looking into ways to reduce the amperage before it hits the controller instead of using relays... hopefully it'll be a bit simpler/cheaper to put together.

------------------------------------------
My pad design: http://www.wubros.com/ddrpad/
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger
riptide
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Beefman, about your design, is it adjustable as far as height goes? If the setup is too low and the acrylic ends up sitting lower than the brackets, how would one adjust it to sit correctly?

------------------------------------------
My pad design: http://www.wubros.com/ddrpad/
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger
Blue Beefman
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, the way I keep it from sitting too low is I dint tighten the screws ALL the way down, I just tighten them til tehy are just hitting the brace, I do this by setting the torque on my electric drill low, like at 1 or 2, then once it torques its in its proper place and doesnt need adjusting. But the acrylic wont sit low at all, cause the silcone tubing keeps it up.
asdfqweruiop
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow im so happy! i almost finished with my pad! i just wanted to thank everyone for all their wonderful directions and such. all i need to do is finish up the wiring and test it unfortunately im out of solder tongue.gif so i can't finish it no but i know its going to be totally sweet! thanx everyone!
View users profile Send private message Send email
Shadow_Dragonz
Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now construction has gone a little slow this week. Ugh, solder is such a pain. The smoke that comes from melting the solder, having it not stick...and most of all, it's a sony psx controller. The ones that I've soldered so far work, but it's a pain. Next time, I'm just going to get a cheap $5 contoller and save myself the hastle.

I've look at the tips and guides on soldering, but it still seems that I'm doing something wrong. Is it normal for the solder to seem to be burning and/or having it smoke?

Since I've been busy this week (not to mention the 6 inches of snow!), it's been slow for me to go over the forum III. I might compile the FAQ this weekend and just edit as I have time.

Thanks for all the help so far. Hope to return the favor. E13.gif
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
Sain
Trick Member
Trick Member

15. PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ddrhomepad:

or http://banana.elementznet.com/ddr/arcade.jpg

riptide: I could host those for you but I wolud have to change them to realplayer... or make them smaller somehow...and you wouldn't be able to stream them.. I would have to put them in .zip files. so if your intrested hit me up on msn or something
Trick Member
Trick Member

16. PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 3:59 pm    Post subject: Still having trouble w/ my metal pad Reply with quote

I readjusted the down arrow to ensure all screws were in securely. When I try to play, the only things that works are the song selection up and down. But during the song I get no response.

By the way I have the correct size plexi glass.
I still have trouble with it cracking when being drilled.

Thanks for all responses and help,

David
Sain
Trick Member
Trick Member

17. PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Still having trouble w/ my metal pad Reply with quote

Sleepydrakos wrote:
I readjusted the down arrow to ensure all screws were in securely. When I try to play, the only things that works are the song selection up and down. But during the song I get no response.

Im guessing that its a problem iwth your controller and not pad, becuase the arrows work in the menu... so obiousally they are working and thats not the problem, so my guess is your controller is freaked up
Trick Member
Trick Member

18. PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 7:03 pm    Post subject: My controller? Reply with quote

I checked the controller for all directions and they worked perfectly before making the pad. So I think it has to do with the contacts. Maybe they are making contact all the time. But who knows.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

David
`pr0digy
Trick Member
Trick Member

19. PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject: Here's RIPTIDE's vids... Reply with quote

ftp://ogmios.ath.cx:1337

5th isn't up yet, will be soon. Riptide may want to add these to his site, not the fastest ftp, but it's stable.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 339, 340, 341  Next
Page 1 of 341

Jump to: