Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Metal Pad Discussion Part II
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 95, 96, 97  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ps2freak
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 6:07 pm    Post subject: Metal Pad Discussion Part II Reply with quote

I'm going to lists the pros and cons of each pad (please note: you may not agree with what I list each trait as! Also note: I have played on all 3, but own only 2 CG pads. They haven't died in the 3 months I've had them.)

Cobalt Flux (AKA: CF) - www.cobaltflux.com

+'s
----------------------------
1. Very sturdy. They have run this pad over with an SUV, and it survived.
2. Good responsiveness. It will remain this way til' the day it dies.
3. Warranty. The only pad to offer one.
4. All pads tested before sent out.

-'s
---------------------------
1. Very expensive! This is people's biggest quarrel with the pad. 300 bucks a piece.
2. Iffy control box. Supposedly fixed now, but had to replace many when the pad first came out.

Mymybox (AKA: MMB) - www.mymybox.com

+'s
1. Relatively cheap. Only 150 dollars or so per pad.
2. Decent responsiveness. May wear after a few months, however.

-'s
1. Known to be either Dead on Arrival (DOA), or die withtin a few months.
2. Arrows crack either because of stomping, or a screw from under the pad penetrating the copper contact. This can be fixed by ter's MMB mod.

Red Octane Metal Dance Pad http://www.redoctane.com/redoctanemetalpad.html
A very nice pad for only $199, but it has some flaws.

The pad does use poly-carbonated plastic like the CF and has an external control box with the start and select buttons on it, but it doesn’t use a sheet metal on sheet metal contact system. When first released, the pads used the traditional foil on copper sensor contact system, which is horrible, however, Red Octane claims that they have upgraded their pad to a new contact system which uses “thin metal” on a copper contact. *IF* you get the pad with foil and copper contacts, you’ll have to mod the dance pad in order to obtain its full potential.

The most common mod is replacing the weak foil with nice shiny sheet metal. A guide to how to do this mod can be found at http://www.rufus3.com/ddr/mmb.html. If you get a pad with the “thin metal” you shouldn’t encounter too many problems, however, there have been a few posts about people having some contact problems with their Red Octane Dance Pads on the DDRFREAK boards. A universal solution to these problems should be to simply clean the sheet metal and copper contact (the copper contact should be cleaned with a Brillo pad).

The bottom line is, if you absolutely cannot afford a Cobalt Flux and building your own dance pad is out of the question, then purchase this pad.

Cyphergames/Games Depot (AKA: CG, GD, Golden Bell, Kevink8's Pads) - www.levelsix.com, www.cyphergames.com, www.ebay.com

+'s
1. Very inexpensive (As low as $80 for 2 on ebay).
2. Very easy to find (Hundreds on ebay, levelsix, and cyphergames)
3. Only metal pad with LED lights.
4. Many easy-to-do mods for this pad (I'm listing this under both, don't worry).

-'s
1. Known to be DOA, or die withtin a few months.
2. Arrows crack, because they are made of cheap acrylic.
3. Frame will bend if rubber legs on bottom aren't taken off.
4. Requires modifications (none of which take more than 30 minutes per pad.)

MyMyBox, Cyphergames, Lik-Sang, “3rd Party Metal Pad:”
(http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=22&products_id=3221 & http://www.mymybox.com/mmb-ddr/metalpad-mt6.asp & http://www.mymybox.com/mmb-ddr/metalpad-mt8.asp & http://www.cyphergames.com/50501046.html & http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-89-70-2fh-4-14.html & http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3076766492&category=21185)
These pads are absolutely awful as they use acrylic plastic for the arrow panels, which will crack after use, and they use the awful foil on copper contact system.

The only pro about these pads is that they are incredibly cheap, costing usually about $79.99. However, if you plan on purchasing one of these dance pads, it will have to modded. A recommended mod is the normal sheet metal mod: http://www.rufus3.com/ddr/mmb.html.

After accomplishing this mod, you should definitely get rid of those horrible acrylic panels. For this, you’re going to have to purchase some poly-carbonated panels, such as Lexan plastic, and cut it out to the dimensions of the original acrylic panels.

After these two mods, the dance pad should perform similarly to the Red Octane Metal Pad (with the sheet metal mod, or with the “thin metal”). Another problem with these pads is the known horrible soldering job. The wires soldered to the copper contacts have been known to come off, so be prepared to solder them back on.

Lik-Sang, eBay, Metal Pad with a bar (http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=3&products_id=3681 & http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3076185569&category=21185):
When released these pads easily caught the attention of ddr players and caused them to purchase them because of the included trick bar.

However, these pads aren’t exactly arcade replicates. Depending one where you purchase them from, they will either have acrylic panels (Lik-Sang) or poly-carbonated plastic (Usually eBay).With the acrylic panels, you’ll have to replace them with poly-carbonated plastic as usual. These pads use the traditional foil on copper contact system so you’ll have to do the sheet metal mod: http://www.rufus3.com/ddr/mmb.html.

Because these pads use the traditional contact system, be ready to solder some of the wires back onto the copper contact. If you are interested in this pad, it’s probably because of the trick bar, but beware, these pads don’t have an appropriate counter-weight, so if you plan on heavy use of the bar, be prepared if the whole dance pad topples over. Also, the bar has been known to snap off from extensive wear.

Homemade Dance Pad (http://www.digitaltorque.com/mydancepad/ & http://www.angelfire.com/d20/ddrhomepad/):
The best metal pad you could ever have (not purchase from a vendor). These pads are as good as you make them. If they are made correctly, they are practically flawless and can safely be called arcade replicates.

They usually use a sheet metal on sheet metal contact system and can have actual arcade like lights in them. The only-downside is the fact that there is no warranty, of course, however, if you built, fixing a problem is really simple.

Now, for some scenarios. If you don't have much money at all, but are willing to take a risk and work on your pads, go with the cyphergames pads. If you have a little more money, go for a mymybox. Finally, if you have the money, go for a cobalt-flux, it is by far the most reliable pad on the market.

PS2Freak

My mod instructions, by Syxx Pac (Thanks Again!)

Step 1 : Go to Home Depot. Purchase ONE roll of 30 foot by 2 inch by 1/8th inch insulation tape and one roll of foil tape. Both of these are in the plumbing section. The foil tape should be by the duct tape. Go to the glass and acrylic section. There will be all different sizes of acrylic and glass. I bought TWO the 12 inch by 14 inch by .093 inch sheets of the .high impact acrylic. All of this costs about 20 dollars.

Step 2 : Go Home. E1.gif Unscrew and take the four arrow pannels out. Don't play with the sensors underneath. Don't play with the wires. I know it looks tempting BUT DON'T TOUCH THEM unless you know what you're doing. Take the outer wrapping off of the acrylic. Put the pannel on top of one side of the acrylic and draw around it using a magic marker. Repeat for the other side. Then repeat for the other piece. Now, using a saw cut out the design that you just traced. Try putting the arrows you just cut out into your pad to make sure that they fit.

Step 3 : Print out your arrow design. You can find these in the other metal pad discussion : http://www.ddrfreak.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=59254 Attach the picture onto the bottom of each arrow. I didn't do this step yet because I'm lazy E1.gif

Step 4 : Cut out strips of the insulation that are long enough to fit underneath the arrows.

Step 5 : Put 2 strips of the foil tape about 6 inches long along the bottom of the panel over the insulation tape so that it will touch the contact on the metal pad.

Step 6 : Put 4 pannels back in. Don't screw them in. Test it in a song on light or standard that you KNOW you can do really well in PA. If you are getting a lot of perfects, congratuations... You can screw the arrows in and you're done. If you are getting shadow steps or what not, try moving the foil tape so it is not making constant contact with the sensor. I had to do this with my left arrow, because the sensor was not centered.

Step 7 : Play DDR for like 12 hours in a row because PLAYING ON ONE OF THESE IS AWESOME.

Some More Info:
If you find a dance pad not in the above list, carefully read its specs. Ignore things like “Touch Sensitive Technology,” “0% Noise Level, no noise when jumping on arrows,” and “Advance wiring for maximum sensitivity.” These types of specs are BS. You should look for whether they use Acrylic plastic or Poly-Carbonated plastic. If the pad says it has lights in it (LEDs), don’t think that it will light up like the arcade, this just means that there are small LEDs on the edges of the arrow panels.

Enjoy.

You're a towel.

Last edited by ps2freak on Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
dann with two n's
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree this should be sticky.

Also you should try and list any mods for the pads to make them better so people could know how easy easy or hard the mods are to do.
Just my opinion tho.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
ps2freak
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea, will do when I get some extra time.

PS2Freak

You're a towel.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
AzN8oi
Basic Member
Basic Member

3. PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, i didnt read this thread, but i posted another topic, its GG COBALT flux. Check it out i guess... Oh, btw another CF (-) = its not resistant to dumbasses; people to have a CF next to their bed with a cup of water on it.
AzN8oi
Basic Member
Basic Member

4. PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AzN8oi wrote:
hmm, i didnt read this thread, but i posted another topic, its GG COBALT flux. Check it out i guess... Oh, btw another CF (-) = its not resistant to dumbasses; people who have a CF next to their bed with a cup of water on it.

Devil Warrior
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No pads are really dumbass-resistant. You can break any of those if you want to. "Oh no look, I was wearing spiked climbing boots and playing DDR on my pad and I broke through it and ripped out all the wiring."
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sentinel Marc 4
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks For the info. Im sure lots of ppl will find this post very handy.
View users profile Send private message
dann with two n's
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not stickied why? E19.gif
MugsyGoten
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id like to go into a little more detail about the Cobalt Flux pad, as I have just recently gotten mine, and have my own opinions...

THE COBALT FLUX (I've had it less than a week) PAD REVIEW!!!

You asked for it, and now you're getting it.

I got my Cobalt Flux pad not too long ago, Ive had it for under a week. This is what I can tell you about it though. The buttons are incredibly responsive, and sometimes too responsive. I have no problems with how sensitive the arrows are, Im just talking about the Start and Select buttons. I have a tendency to reset the game in the middle of a song (by accidentally touching both start and select which are triggerable as full sized buttons at the rear). This is really annoying, but there are ways to either disable the buttons, or to make them less sensitive, CobaltFlux.com's Vance is an amazing help whenever you seem to be pissed about something. I've talked to Vance on many occassions, and the man is truly a customer services dream, he answers any questions, and is quick to do whatever it takes to keep your bussiness/interest. I mean sure the pad costs $300+shipping, so Vance will make you feel like its worth it. I cant even go into more detail about the customer service of www.CobaltFlux.com its truly amazing, I will only say that.
Also, the pad is hella heavy, it weighs in at 45 lbs. This is both a blessing and a curse. If you planned on taking your pad anywhere, you may want to think again, the thing is a behemoth. However, along with the grip tape you post on the bottom of the pad, the pad hardly moves at all during play. This baby supports fat buttocks players too. Its listed that the pad supports 600+ lbs. Im only 240 lbs. but I like to know that if I gained a quick 350 lbs., my DDR pad would still be intact. Also, the buttons will always register when you hit them, they as I have said before, are awesomely responsive. If you miss an arrow in the game, its because you actually missed the arrow, not because your pad is a pyle. This is the first pad that Ive ever used, and been able to play with, care free about either getting ghost, phantom steps, the pad moving, (and just recently) mid game resets. All this, plus a 6 Month warranty, that you apparently arent going to need, because this pad will not break, I repeat, the pad will not break. They even ran over it with an SUV, and they still play on that one today.

One little side note that should interest a few of you...If you have big feet, the Cobaly Flux accomodates. I have a size 13 foot, and when I play in the arcade in shoes, my feet often get caught up in the metal brackets, and I can ruin a full combo for this. The CF pad has no brackets, so this type of thing is damn near eliminated.

Finally, the pad looks like a million bucks. Its shiny, sleek and dark. You will look at it, hug it, or do whatever, but overall, you will love it. If you play DDR at any normal intervals, and can somehow scrape up $340, this pad is indeed for you.

The only gripes I have about the pad is that it takes 3 weeks to get to your house after you order it, because Cobalt Flux ensures quality, and some of the control boxes are faulty. If your control box is blown or something, they will replace yours at no cost to you.

Ive gotten 400+ combos on my pad so far, and AA'd so many songs it hurts to count. Ive been in the DDR community for almost 2 years now, and I play 9 foot songs, so I love seeing this quality of a pad when I do...nothing better exists, not even the arcade.

Anyways, thats my 2 cents about the CF pad, I think it represents excellence.

(Someone has to sticky this, c'mon!)
ChubbyDDRFreak
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My CF will be around the 11lth of March cant wait. Should ship out this morning. I am 280 and the other metal pad i bought the Cyhpex pas sucks, I never use it. It says supports up to 300 lbs but it will suport up to 300 only a few times.
MugsyGoten
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coughstickycough
LiLDDRKiD
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered a CF recently and I'm expecting it in about 2-3 wks. and yea, i think this should be stickied.
N.N.T. Barton '1080 ~IIDX
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree Sickyafy. now anyone Care to Discuss Pros and cons of other pads?

like whitch pad uses sensors like the real thing?

PRIMARY VIVID NNTB beatmaniaIIDX Ver.012
The sound pressure makes you feel refreshment of mind and body. Feel the shouwer of lights & colors.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag MSN Messenger
dann with two n's
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im gonna order the cypher game metal pad from level six will put review of it on here E1.gif
ps2freak
Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you mod it first E1.gif

PS2Freak

You're a towel.
Miyuki
Trick Member
Trick Member

15. PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that the customer service is bad for the cyphergames pad, is this true?
Trick Member
Trick Member

16. PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great review ps2freak. Very informative. I agree with the petition for this topic to be stickied.
View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
DuffMan_
Trick Member
Trick Member

17. PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very interested in buying a metal pad because I bought MAX today and I know MAX2 will probably be coming out soon, so I wanna get a good metal pad to improve my skills. I remember a few months ago cobalt flux just starting coming out and i was skeptic, but now all I hear are good reviews. Do you guys seriously recomend this pad for me? Money is not an object, I have a job. The only problem is will I have to mod the pad or do a lot of repairs or any of that, because im not very good at that kind of stuff. Is it easy to fix if an arrow gets stuck or stuff like that? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Trick Member
Trick Member

18. PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude every thing i hear about it says they it hardly ever breaks and if it does it is usualy the control box. All you have to do to unstick the arrows if they do get stuck is loosen a screw. I would deffinatly go for it. ESP if money is not matter.
r1ptide64
Trick Member
Trick Member

19. PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont just post here it should be stickied, PM remy i PMed spike when this first came up, but now i realize that since hez the head admin of forums, he probably gets a ton and cant read them. so everybody PM remy!
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 95, 96, 97  Next
Page 1 of 97

Jump to: