Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

IIDX Mini-FAQ: If you have newbie IIDX questions READ THIS!
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Other Bemani and Music Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rampage
Administrator
Administrator

0. PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 2:36 pm    Post subject: IIDX Mini-FAQ: If you have newbie IIDX questions READ THIS! Reply with quote

Introduction: This is to answer all the commonly asked questions about home versions of IIDX.

I'm a newbie! What's the best mix?
First of all, in IIDX-land it's "Style", not "Mix". When you talk about "Mix"es people will assume you're talking about 5-key Beatmania. If that's what you're talking about this isn't the FAQ for you.

Ok, I'm sorry. What's the best Style for newbies?
5th and 6th Style both have "beginner" modes which is easier than Light-7 and every song is 1-3*. If you're a complete n00b or new to 7-key, playing on beginner mode is a great way to get up to speed with the game. 3rd Style has a lot of easy songs but is hard to find, and it doesn't track your progress. 4th Style is generally regarded as the most difficult version and it has no beginner mode. Stay away from it if you're a total newbie until you get down some skills with 5th or 6th Style.

Great! But, I need a controller. What about that triangle one I see on eBay? The Konami ones are so expensive!
The Konami ones are expensive for a reason. They are simply one of the best controllers you can buy for the game. You can buy one of the cheap triangle controllers but be warned that you'll deal with shoddy buttons and a turntable which doesn't register properly. There is a reason they are so cheap. You're just setting yourself up for frustration, and being disgraced by the IIDX community. Just save your money and get the real-deal. You'll be glad you did.

What about that arcade replica controller on konamistyle.com people keep talking about??
Look, you're never going to get it. Just like you're never going to get that metal DDR platform which was being sold on konamistyle.com a while back. Drool over it. Get over it. You'll never get one. From what I understand Konami is only making 1000 of them and they are already long-since-sold-out. You'd be better off building your own.

Why is IIDX so haaard?
Because you suck. Just kidding. IIDX isn't a game like DDR which you can just pick up. It takes a high level of commitment and a lot of practice to get good at it. None of the people who are really good at it got that way overnight. It took months of dedication and practice to get really good at it. IIDX is generally regarded as being the most diffcult of the Bemani series.

Why are IIDX people so rude?
Because they are an elitist bunch of rude bastards. Are DDR people really any different?

Why are the older styles soooo expensive??
One thing about import games is they are priced based on the exchange rate upon which they were purchased. 3rd Style is generally very hard to find so expect to pay a premium for it. 4th Style is pretty popular but it's getting harder to find because it's getting more and more rare. Again, expect to pay a premium for it. 5th Style came out when exchange rates were high. This could cause some import dealers to charge a high price to get some profit back from it. 6th Style is new, and plentiful. Don't pay more than $70 for it.

Import games in general are expensive. Us import gamers have had to live with it, so will you. Shop around for the best price.

Where can I get IIDX games and stuff?
yesasia.com, ncsx.com, japanvideogames.com, toysnjoys.com are popular sites around here. As always YMMV.

I'd say avoid eBay unless you're desperate or can get a good deal. Many IIDX products come shipped straight from Japan and there is no guarantee it'll be what you ordered. Shipping is also very expensive. You're better off going through one of the reputable dealers listed above.

Where do people are all these awesome IIDX-related pictures?
Look around on Konami's site http://www.konami.co.jp/am/bm2dx. Chances are about 90% of the pictures people use from IIDX came from there. Since I'm sure many of you aren't fluent in nihongo, check the sections listed as "G2ARTS" or "POSTERS" from the different styles.

What style is the best?
This is always the subject of much debate. I'll give a quick rundown of what to expect.

3rd Style: Huge amount of songs -- over 80 (it contains many from 2nd Style and SubStream). Terrible UI which doesn't track which songs you passed or your progress. In-game settings aren't remembered between games. I say get it if you're looking to complete your collection. Avoid otherwise. There are many good songs but there is also a huge amount of crap. Most of the better songs can be found on later styles.

4th Style: Higher difficulty. About 60 songs. UI similar to 3rd Style but improved (now tracks progress and passed songs). Generally considered one of the best styles. Not recommended for beginners!

5th Style: About 60 songs. Much improved UI (can now change speed from selection screen). New beginner mode. Good for all play levels.

6th Style: Latest and greatest. Best UI to date for a home version. Beginner mode. Has tons of things to unlock such as a picture gallery. Music Clip mode allows you to watch the in-game videos by themselves full-screen. Good for all play levels.

Which song is the best? Which video is the best?
This type of troll topic is asked all the time. Just dig up some dead topic about this and reply to it.

People here aren't answering my questions. What are some good IIDX sites?
Try iidxstyle.net.

If I play IIDX am I a DJ?
Last I checked no DJs scratched turntables while playing a 7-key mini keyboard. You're not a DJ. IIDX isn't really a DJ simulator. Get over it.

Thanks for all this great information!
You're welcome.

Last edited by rampage on Thu Jan 09, 2003 2:21 pm, edited 7 times in total
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag MSN Messenger
Nikari
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: IIDX Mini-FAQ: Read this if you have IIDX Questions! Reply with quote

rampage wrote:
Where do people are all these awesome IIDX pictures?

PLEASE WHEEL REPAIR.

WE DO THE APOLOGY FOR ANY INCONVENIENT.
PMG
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

2. PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MUTHAFUCKIN WORD
Administrator
Administrator

3. PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: IIDX Mini-FAQ: Read this if you have IIDX Questions! Reply with quote

Nikari[TAS] wrote:
rampage wrote:
Where do people are all these awesome IIDX pictures?

PLEASE WHEEL REPAIR.

WE DO THE APOLOGY FOR ANY INCONVENIENT.

WORD NIKARI

View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag MSN Messenger
-
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to note in your comparison:

3rd style double is squished onto one side of the screen on a 4:3 TV, and so is not really suitable for learning double unless you have a widescreen display. This can be pretty frustrating, and if you try to adapt to it, it can mess up your spatial skills when you return to the arcade, where everything will be much wider.

So if you want to learn to play double, don't get 3rd style as your first choice.
View users profile Send private message
sanchny
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"IIDX is generally regarded as being the most diffcult of the Bemani series."

I thought Drummania was.
rampage
Administrator
Administrator

6. PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lydia wrote:
You might want to note in your comparison:

3rd style double is squished onto one side of the screen on a 4:3 TV, and so is not really suitable for learning double unless you have a widescreen display. This can be pretty frustrating, and if you try to adapt to it, it can mess up your spatial skills when you return to the arcade, where everything will be much wider.

So if you want to learn to play double, don't get 3rd style as your first choice.

I could note that, but generally this guide is designed more toward newbies. I'm assuming most newbies will have a hard enough time with basic songs let alone 14-key!
cfusionpm
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sanchny wrote:
"IIDX is generally regarded as being the most diffcult of the Bemani series."

I thought Drummania was.

take a look at G2[a], holic[a], V[a], DXY[a], sync[a], etc etc etc.
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's just say they both have impossible songs.
View users profile Send private message Xbox Live Gamertag
-
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rampage wrote:
I could note that, but generally this guide is designed more toward newbies. I'm assuming most newbies will have a hard enough time with basic songs let alone 14-key!

That's too bad. I started playing light-14 a week or two after I started playing IIDX. I don't see why anyone shouldn't play double. It's more fun than single most of the time, and there are plenty of very easy songs on light-14. Also, probably between a third and half of the songs on IIDX are either easier or no more difficult on double.

I should make a "double for newbies" guide :D
djSyndrome
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lydia:

YES
YOU
SHOULD

And I can't beat Summer Vacation Light 14 yet ... it's driving me nuts worse than QQQ does.....
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
SuPa |L©|
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please let this be the FAQ to end all FAQ's!!!! Pretty damn good job, Rampage. If this isn't sticky, someone should make it sticky.

Last edited by SuPa |L©| on Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
djp -bemanistyle-
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know rampage... Dark Tetsuya worked on a faq just like this... so it was kinda pontless for you to do it too. I swear people bust thier ass on stuff and then other people go and do shit like this which defeats the purpose.
SuPa |L©|
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djp fo reals wrote:
you know rampage... Dark Tetsuya worked on a faq just like this... so it was kinda pontless for you to do it too. I swear people bust thier ass on stuff and then other people go and do shit like this which defeats the purpose.

Assuming your talking about Dark Tetsuya's FAQ that is sticky in this forum, it doesn't mention any of the questions that Rampage has answered. If anything, this mini FAQ should be added to DT's FAQ.

Last edited by SuPa |L©| on Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
BradTheInsomniac
Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuPa |L©| wrote:
Dark Tetsuya's FAQ that is sticky in this forum

Dark Tetsuya's FAQ isn't sticky in this forum. Only the first two questions are, with 6 pages of replies. Perhaps that's why no one reads it.
rampage
Administrator
Administrator

15. PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djp fo reals wrote:

I'm quite aware of DarkTetsuya's FAQ here. Last time I looked at it (5 minutes ago), it didn't cover any of the issues I put in my mini-faq.

It's not like anyone reads FAQs around here anyway. Besides I chat with DarkTetsuya almost every day. I'm sure if he was upset at me debasing all his hard work like you seem to be accusing me of, he'd let me know.
DKW
Trick Member
Trick Member

16. PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, I got a question.

I'm primarily a Pump It Up and Beatmania player, and I'm also probably the biggest Pop 'n Music fan you'll ever meet. (Pretty good at Guitar Freaks in the arcade, but haven't gotten any of the import-only later mixes yet.) I've played IIDX on and off for several months before giving it up for good. This is the ONLY Bemani game where, after one session, I screamed at the end of a tough song out of sheer frustration.

Here's what I noticed. In every other Bemani series I've ever played, whether arcade-only or on console, the songs follow a natural, even progression from easy to hard. At one end is something trivial like Find Out or Beginning of Life, and at the other extreme is Hell Scraper, Genom Screams, Drunk Monky, etc. Also, there's usually an easy mode...Basic in BM, Beginner or 5 Key in PnM...so players who are completley new, not that good at video games, or just in need of a break from the tough stuff, can enjoy the game as much as anyone else. Even when there isn't, the very easiest stuff is usually trivial (most of the Taiji Boys songs from the original PIU qualify).

None of these games (note that I have not yet mentioned Dance Dance Revolution) are stacked toward the very hardest songs. None of them are practically impossible on the standard level. A few may have a superhard special mode (I'd rather cut off one of my toes than have to pass some of BM's courses), but on the whole, there's some really easy, some really hard, a super-easy level for those who need it, and most of the other songs somewhere in the middle.

IIDX isn't like this. It's horribly stacked on the hard side. Horribly. A level 6 song on Light 7 is torturous. I can count on one hand the songs I can't clear on Basic in the entire BM line. 7 key is even worse; a level 4 on that gives me fits. I actually came close to failing Silhouettte of My Mind once. Did I mention that I got so frustrated one time that I screamed at the end (and that was on Light 7)? Don't think that I just had trouble with 7 buttons and the record; Pop 'n Music has nine buttons, and I found every game of that series eminently enjoyable. (Note that I still have not used DDR for any of my comparisons.) Sure, there's some really painful stuff on there, but avoiding it is simply a matter of common sense (hint: if it says "Hyper", you might wanna think twice), not total paranoia. I mean, heck, Guitar Freaks and Drummania were two arcade games that I'd never played anything like before, and I found thier songs easier to clear than IIDX's.

Oh yeah, DDR. I have the complete PSX collection. I think these are great games. The reason I didn't use them for comparison was that I didn't want you to think that I was bitter because I was some dumb DDR fanboy or something. Trust me, that one series has nothing to do with it.

My question, anyway, is this: What was Konami thinking? Where did they get the idea that a series horribly stacked on the superhard side from top to bottom was a good idea??

"Geez, Darrell, you've played for only..." ...about the same time I've played Guitar Freaks, and, despite the awkward, ill-balanced guitar, I'm way, way better at that game than I'll ever be at IIDX, and I also find it a helluva lot more enjoyable.

I've never, ever had any fun with IIDX. With every new song (most of them level 4's, the kind of songs I rip through in BM and PnM), I was shaking, because I never knew when the next massive tidal wave of notes or horribly fragged ending would arrive.

"If you just keep at it for a few more months..." ...I'll probably require hospitalization. I've played many games that required long hours of play to get attuned to, and weeks, if not months, to get really good at. The difference between them and IIDX was that I was motivated to keep going, and what motivates me is being rewarded for my efforts. Ever hear of Swing Away Golf for PS2? There's a long haul if there ever was one, with a plethora of events, golfers, modes, and challenges. I've been playing for close to two years now, and I'm nowhere near done with it. What keeps me going? Being able to win, always learning something new, and having FUN taking on the challenges. Failing a song 30 straight times and inching ever so closer to 80% is not my idea of fun.

"Ah, you're just applying DDR's standard..." ...and PnM's standard, and BM's standard, and GF's standard, and, heck, the standard of every other Bemani line I've ever played. And I feel very justified in doing so, because it makes SENSE. All these games have inordiantely hard modes for those who need them. I don't see any reason why these songs have to dominate the entire game.

"But, but, there are a whole bunch players on the Internet Ranking charts who don't have a problem..." ...and who I will never, ever be as good as. Understand? I won't be able to clear a BM course one-handed, I won't get 100% total success in Gran Turismo 3 with or without peripheral help, and I won't find horrendous showers of notes in IIDX managable.

"I already posted your question in the FAQ." Without answering it. If you have one now, it'd be most appreciated.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
CStarFlare
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

17. PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your point?

You've posted that everywhere I've been to. Maybe not GameFAQs. But everywhere else.

IIDX requires practice. Lots. I play for 2 or so hours a day. 2 months later, I can beat B4U Another. Hell, I can beat 80% Another songs. 95% or more 7 Key. Most of the songs I havn't beat are those that people commonly refer to as the hardest (The Safari, DXY! Another, Holic Another, etc.), as a matter of fact.

IIDX is not too hard. It requires more of a commitment than other Bemani games, it seems. But it's not too hard.
View users profile Send private message Send email
DKW
Trick Member
Trick Member

18. PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CStarFlare - My point? IIDX is no fun at all, and it's precisely the hideous difficulty scaling which does not exist in any other Bemani game I know of that's the reason why. I've been driven to fury by this game, and I'm supposed to play it more because of this? The closest thing that's come to that kind of experience was the time I unwisely playing to the end of the SNES Bust-a-Move instead of returning it to BV on the same day like I should have, $5.50 down the drain be damned. By the time I finally cleared it, I was grateful that I was alone in the house, because I would've probably ripped someone's head off otherwise. (Hey, I know players who react violently to losing a single character in Marvel vs. Capcom 2...how do you think they're going to handle something like IIDX?)

I mean, PIU shafted me with songs that were 50,000 times harder than they should've been (whose brain-dead idea was it to put trios in the GROOVE STYLE sections of some Division Mode songs??) and vaguely-defined screwball modes that, when I tried them, translated to "automatic failure". But at least I now know that if I pick Normal, Hard, or Double, and stick to songs where the numbers aren't too high, I won't be faced with impossible quads or a bazillion arrows raining down at once. I've never, ever been able to get into any kind of comfort zone with any of IIDX's modes (not even Light 7, which is simply unforgivable).

So again, my question: Why did this normally-reliable company think this was a good idea? Is the challenge-and-nothing-else market that big? (Come to think of it, this would explain a number of PS2 games...)
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
rampage
Administrator
Administrator

19. PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DKW wrote:
IIDX isn't like this. It's horribly stacked on the hard side. Horribly. A level 6 song on Light 7 is torturous. I can count on one hand the songs I can't clear on Basic in the entire BM line. 7 key is even worse; a level 4 on that gives me fits.

Like I said earlier in my FAQ, IIDX isn't a game you just pick up and beat everything. IIDX has plenty of easy songs in it which just about anyone can pick up -- just about any 1* or 2* song on Light-7 can be easily mastered with little effort after at most a couple of tries.

5th style and beyond for home have beginner modes where songs are obscenely easy and even the newbiest of IIDX players can pick up the basics in one sitting. It took me about 4 hours of practice in beginner mode to clear every song with that difficulty.

IIDX's rating system isn't perfect by any means but the general progression works like this: if you can beat a lot of 2* songs you can beat probably any 1* song and maybe a couple 3* songs, ergo if you can beat some 5* songs you can probably beat a couple of 6* songs and most lower level songs. It works a lot like DDR.

No one got good at IIDX overnight. It's a game like Drummania which requires a lot of practice and commitment to get to be good at it. I've been playing for a few months now and I am just now starting to be able to beat some of the harder songs.

Quote:

I actually came close to failing Silhouettte of My Mind once. Did I mention that I got so frustrated one time that I screamed at the end (and that was on Light 7)? Don't think that I just had trouble with 7 buttons and the record; Pop 'n Music has nine buttons, and I found every game of that series eminently enjoyable. (Note that I still have not used DDR for any of my comparisons.) Sure, there's some really painful stuff on there, but avoiding it is simply a matter of common sense (hint: if it says "Hyper", you might wanna think twice), not total paranoia. I mean, heck, Guitar Freaks and Drummania were two arcade games that I'd never played anything like before, and I found thier songs easier to clear than IIDX's.

You may want to consider that IIDX has much stricter timing than the other Bemani games. If you're doing that poorly, there's a couple things you can do. a) Don't play hard songs if you can't pass them. Work your way up to them. b) Try lowering the difficulty or using Easy mode until you get better. c) Are you using high-speed? It can help immensely. I play nearly everything on HS3.

Quote:

My question, anyway, is this: What was Konami thinking? Where did they get the idea that a series horribly stacked on the superhard side from top to bottom was a good idea??

It's not stacked on the superhard side. There truly is logical progression. Get good at the easy songs on Light-7, work your way up to the harder stuff, start working on 7-key mode, work your way up to the harder stuff, start working on Another mode, work your way up to the hardest stuff.

Another thing about IIDX is it's not easy to pick up in the arcade. Most of us who got any good at it spent many hours practicing at home. Konami makes excellent IIDX controllers, so if you don't have a home setup and you really want to get good at IIDX, I'd strongly recommend you buy some home versions of the game.

Quote:

I've never, ever had any fun with IIDX. With every new song (most of them level 4's, the kind of songs I rip through in BM and PnM), I was shaking, because I never knew when the next massive tidal wave of notes or horribly fragged ending would arrive.

Again, don't do the hard stuff! You need to work your way up there. No one who is a newbie to IIDX can just dive in to the difficult songs. Period. It doesn't matter how good you are at Beatmania, IIDX is a different beast. It has more keys, different timing, different patterns, different difficulties. Again, if you're not using High-Speed you should. It could make that "massive tidal wave of notes" easier to read. As far as the endings go, well yes it has some horribly fragged endings.

Quote:

"Ah, you're just applying DDR's standard..." ...and PnM's standard, and BM's standard, and GF's standard, and, heck, the standard of every other Bemani line I've ever played. And I feel very justified in doing so, because it makes SENSE. All these games have inordiantely hard modes for those who need them. I don't see any reason why these songs have to dominate the entire game.

What songs have you tried? Also what versions of IIDX are you playing? I think you're just chosing the wrong songs. If you jump right in with the hard songs you'll never get any better. Are you playing in the arcade or at home?

Quote:

"But, but, there are a whole bunch players on the Internet Ranking charts who don't have a problem..." ...and who I will never, ever be as good as. Understand? I won't be able to clear a BM course one-handed, I won't get 100% total success in Gran Turismo 3 with or without peripheral help, and I won't find horrendous showers of notes in IIDX managable.

Many people will never be that good. It seems like you want to enjoy IIDX but I think you're either taking the wrong approach or not being realistic about your goals with the game.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Other Bemani and Music Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 1 of 23

Jump to: